Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plastic wheel hubs. Yay or nay

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So I we have been enjoying our Cali (Woody) now for a month or so and one thing that was bugging me (besides the dull VW radio only unit) were the rims. Just the standard 16 inch pressed steel with a weathered black mini hub cap.
I’m not the type who wants to ‘bling’ up a van but a little bit of good looks are appreciated.
So I was looking at 18” Springfields which are reasonably priced but pondered that driving a Cali over rocky roads and muddy fields is not a good place but glitzy wheel attire.
I then settled for simple plastic covers from eBay and they fit snugly. But I am not entirely convinced of the looks. Perhaps a little to hard trying to look the real thing?
But what do you think?
A: are fancy alloys a waste of money on a “utilitarian” vehicle such as the California?
B: Do these plastic wheel caps fit the van?

A comparison bellow.

It’s a personal thing as far as I am concerned. You have to live with your Cali. One thing you should bear in mind though is that if you go for 18’s or bigger a spare wheel will not fit the under van carrier.

Based on your photo, your rear steelie looks to be 17" not 16" as described. I have those wheels for winter and don't like the look, but quite a few folk do.
A quick glance at your front wheel... I'd say it looks pretty effective, but clip on trims may fall foul of the style police here!

Based on your photo, your rear steelie looks to be 17" not 16" as described. I have those wheels for winter and don't like the look, but quite a few folk do.
A quick glance at your front wheel... I'd say it looks pretty effective, but clip on trims may fall foul of the style police here!

I would agree with the style police generally. Plastic hub caps are the equivalent to crocks in the world of shoes.
But Louboutin’s in a muddy field are not really a good choice either.

Those laser cut alloys will look great, right up to the moment you scuff them on a kerb :)

So I we have been enjoying our Cali (Woody) now for a month or so and one thing that was bugging me (besides the dull VW radio only unit) were the rims. Just the standard 16 inch pressed steel with a weathered black mini hub cap.
I’m not the type who wants to ‘bling’ up a van but a little bit of good looks are appreciated.
So I was looking at 18” Springfields which are reasonably priced but pondered that driving a Cali over rocky roads and muddy fields is not a good place but glitzy wheel attire.
I then settled for simple plastic covers from eBay and they fit snugly. But I am not entirely convinced of the looks. Perhaps a little to hard trying to look the real thing?
But what do you think?
A: are fancy alloys a waste of money on a “utilitarian” vehicle such as the California?
B: Do these plastic wheel caps fit the van?

A comparison bellow.

View attachment 46397
Personally, I think they look absolutely fine. At least you are using your California for what it is intended for, the great Outdoors, unlike many who go on about style and never leave the Tarmac. And I bet they didn't cost an arm and a leg, and then the constant cleaning and worry if they get damaged.:thumb

As has already been said, steels are great for the winter months especially with winter tyres. They are easy to keep clean and cheap to repaint if they suffer damage or corrosion.

If you want a reasonably cheap set of new alloys then you could try Ebay. There are usually plenty of sets of brand new VW factory Transporter Alloys with tyres on there. Expect to pay £500 - £600 for them but I doubt if you could get new tyres for that, making the alloys in effect, free.

For some reason the first thing some owners do is to remove the factory alloys and replace them with lower profile alloys. IMO a big mistake as you can expect the ride quality to reduce as the alloy wheel diameter excreases. The smaller the tyre wall diamension the less cushioning you will have against a rough road surface.

If you currently have 17" wheels then don't be tempted to buy 16" ones as they probably won't fit. The brake calipers used on vehicles with 17" wheels are usually larger.

Last edited:
Personally, I think they look absolutely fine. At least you are using your California for what it is intended for, the great Outdoors, unlike many who go on about style and never leave the Tarmac. And I bet they didn't cost an arm and a leg, and then the constant cleaning and worry if they get damaged.:thumb
They cost about 25£ for the lot but sadly I managed to already loose one due to some hefty road conditions in Wallonia

They cost about 25£ for the lot but sadly I managed to already loose one due to some hefty road conditions in Wallonia
Ah, those nearly clear cable ties are a must then.

If you currently have 17" wheels then don't be tempted to buy 16" ones as they probably won't fit. The brake calipers used on vehicles with 17" wheels are usually larger.
Look at his vehicle, it says it is a 140 hp. So the 16" will fit, no problem.

Plus 2 for the steelies- that said I upgraded to silver cascavel alloys on “Polly” so I do get you wanting to bling it up a bit.

You are probably right but the OP is not the only one who will read this thread.
That is right for sure. So you need to know what brake system is originally installed: 16" or 17".