Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Playing Android music via factory fitted iPod connector

P

pete&gill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have a factory fitted iPod lead in the glove box of my 2008 Cali, but I want to play music from my Android phone.
There are lots of leads advertised with 3.5mm jack one end and female iPod connector the other, but confusion in the reviews over whether they work.
Does anyone know one which will work?

Don't suppose you have bluetooth. That is the simplest was to play music from a phone in the car. The next simplest is to get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead and plug that into the aux in (in the glove box)

However it sounds like you have the MRI interface, this should be a good solution , but I have no experience of using this with an android phone.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have the 3.5mm lead, it just plugs into the headphone jack of my phone (google nexus) and bob's your uncle!

Thanks for the responses chaps, but I don't suppose the radio has Bluetooth.

If it had a 3.5 aux input I'd have used that, but there's only the iPod lead in the glovebox (which we had dealer fitted when the van was new) it's part V1K0 051 444 cost £191.13 which hurt more in 2008 than it would now.

Some of the leads on sale say they don't work with VW factory fitted iPod connectors - others make vague claims about suiting anything they'll plug into. It's not looking good unless someone has relevant experience?

Sorry to digress slightly, does anyone know if there is anyway of controlling a device that is streaming via blue tooth.

I was surprised to be able to have my android phone connected via bluetooth as a phone at the same time as my iPod connected via bluetooth as a media device. Whilst I have full control over the phone via the MFSW I can do nothing with the iPod other than change the volume.

Other than being a factory fit option I haven't got a clue what Bluetooth Ive got.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks Mark - I'll follow those links up, albeit not sure if the phone (Galaxy S5) will play music via its micro usb port.
If I have any joy I'll post the solution here.
Regards
Pete

A belated update on this issue. I asked our partner Vag-Tec if they could supply a lead. The answer was prompt but negative - they could only offer a new interface for a couple of hundred quid!!

Undeterred I did some more research and solved the problem via The Carputer Shop
http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk

Very helpful people. They couldn't guarantee it would work, but suggested trying:-

Apple 30 pin iPod dock female end to 3.5 mm male jack converter - GROM-ACC-CIJK2
£16.98 inc delivery - and they would accept a return if no good.

It works fine!!

Back