Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plug in solar panels

Dash panels won't help much in the winter months unfortunately. The windscreen robs lots of the power, and then, what's left isn't enough to be useful on grey days like today.

I have 200w of solar on the roof of a storage container and in the summer it is excessive (alarm system and long range wifi tranceiver). In winter, if we get a sustained week of grey skies the battery it feeds goes flat. That's powering around 0.5amps in total on a 240Ah battery.

It IS enough to keep batteries that are not in use topped up, even 100w. Just not enough to get any usable power unless the sun comes out.

With my kits I recommend one 100w panel for summer only use, and two or more for winter use, and in teh winter you are still relying on some bright days if you want usable power.

You can get a 300 w panel and a controller for 35 pounds... and comes with a plug to put in rear 12v socket. My school boy physics tells me on a sunny day this will give up to 25A !!
BUT
>>Will keep leisure batteries topped up during winter.. and maybe engine battery on T6 ??
>>Will it above all else not damage the vehicle electrics and electronics ??

[Searched Cali Forum - cant find definitive answers ... just snippets. Or is it me ? ]
25amps into the vcig lighter socket will blow the fuse... I did a video on it if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. It seemed such an easy solution to plugging the van in every few weeks. Thought it could be could be used off grid as well in the summer - all for under 50 pounds.

I'm a dreamer I know

In summary for anyone else who is tempted
- 12v socket is not the way to charge the 12v leisure batteries - need to wire it in
- the cheap panels and controllers on ebay are not up to the job
- MPPT controller required
- Dont buy cheap
You can use the 12v socket as long as you stay under 10amps i believe, but don't try it if you don't know what you are doing.

Back