Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pooling in channel when roof up and down

T

Traveller1977

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone know how the water in the small channels at the front left and right drain away? We are currently experiencing issues even when the roof is down. But just wanted to check when the roof is up does anyone know how this water drains otherwise when you bring the roof down this water surely will be soaked into the fabric and sponge of the bellows?
Any help appreciated, thanks,
IMG_5117.JPGIMG_5119.JPG

I'm sure there is a drain in the corner. I'm sure someone will have pictures. Have you done a search on drain holes etc?

Does anyone know how the water in the small channels at the front left and right drain away? We are currently experiencing issues even when the roof is down. But just wanted to check when the roof is up does anyone know how this water drains otherwise when you bring the roof down this water surely will be soaked into the fabric and sponge of the bellows?
Any help appreciated, thanks,
View attachment 23504View attachment 23505
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...875/subcategory/875000/part_id/3723374/lang/e

Parts 20 & 21 are the roof drains.

Don't see how the bellows could get wet when down as the canvas folds inwards away from those areas.

I get this on ours, when I checked the only drain holes were at the rear so you need to park it head up to clear them, or do as I do and soak it up with a rag before closing.

I get this on ours, when I checked the only drain holes were at the rear so you need to park it head up to clear them, or do as I do and soak it up with a rag before closing.
There are drain holes at the front also. See link posted above.

Pull up the plastic covers at the front.

I did all the was was the cables going into the roof with sealant and no drain. (On the offside as didnt look at the nearside.)
Well on mine there are 2 drains at the front. The drain tube passes down the A pillar on each side.

Well on mine there are 2 drains at the front. The drain tube passes down the A pillar on each side.
Yea, I was expecting that. But I have got into airing the roof and wiping away any moisture left from a wet camping to ensure no condensation buold up on the underside.

The water collecting in the channels when the roof is up goes in four drains , each corner one .
As above , look at my tread in the link provided by @WelshGas

The water collecting in the channels when the roof is up goes in four drains , each corner one .
As above , look at my tread in the link provided by @WelshGas
Can your post, link above, be made a " sticky " as it took ages to find?

@WelshGas ,it has been a sticky for a long time now....;)

@Loz , don't pook to deep in the front ones ....they bend down and you might damage them.
The rearones you can look thru , when you open the tailgate you should see the light come thru.
Use a airblower (compressor)

There are drain holes at the front also. See link posted above.

Pull up the plastic covers at the front.

Thank you all for this.
So to drain these we should pull these plastic covers away and drain then put back or should it just be automatic? If it's supposed to be automatic it isn't.
we've had our roof fixed from the corrosion and I am wondering if these drainage holes are blocked somehow? Can you see this drainage pipe that travels through the door pillar come out somewhere in the wheel arch or somewhere else?

Thanks again all, this was absolutely invaluable information and again great to have such an informative forum. :)

Thank you all for this.
So to drain these we should pull these plastic covers away and drain then put back or should it just be automatic? If it's supposed to be automatic it isn't.
we've had our roof fixed from the corrosion and I am wondering if these drainage holes are blocked somehow? Can you see this drainage pipe that travels through the door pillar come out somewhere in the wheel arch or somewhere else?

Thanks again all, this was absolutely invaluable information and again great to have such an informative forum. :)
Automatic. Use a syringe of water to check the front ones are patent, or Compressed Air canister as used to clean computers.
https://www.vwcampershop.nl/en/other-accessories/550-airspray-against-clogged-gutter.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compresse...272814?hash=item25d3818d2e:g:kPYAAOSwFqJWlMT8
Do Not try to push wire down as the tube makes a 90o bend and very easy to perforate.

Thank you all for this.

The front drainage tube opens into the space between the Front outer body Panel and the inner engine compartment side panel, each side.

Yes mine was blocked and now clear, note re compressed gas or airline that there is a risk of blasting the hose off the back and then the water will run down the headlining. (happened to a Touareg owner)
IMG_3984.jpg IMG_3986.jpg IMG_3985.jpg

I would advocate a syringe or Canned Compressed Air, as used to clean computers.
Thanks again. So just so I'm clear, the drainage hole is the small hole where the nail/metal pole is situated, and it is through this hole I need to use either a syringe or low pressure compressed air?
I don't have to remove this long black plastic strip?
What is going on with the hose pipe and black mastic and the removal of the black strip?
Thank you.

Thanks again. So just so I'm clear, the drainage hole is the small hole where the nail/metal pole is situated, and it is through this hole I need to use either a syringe or low pressure compressed air?
I don't have to remove this long black plastic strip?
What is going on with the hose pipe and black mastic and the removal of the black strip?
Thank you.

Yes the nails are to show location of drain holes.
You need to remove black plastic strip to get to the front drain holes. The hose pipe is, I think, the hydraulic hose for the roof opening mechanism. Drain hole is to the outside of this.

Lovely day and spent the afternoon washing the Cali prior to dashcam fitting tomorrow. Thanks to the post found the front drain holes by removing the said plastic covers. Squeezed some water from a drinks bottle and there was a satisfying gurgle as it drained away.

Mike

Yes the nails are to show location of drain holes.
You need to remove black plastic strip to get to the front drain holes. The hose pipe is, I think, the hydraulic hose for the roof opening mechanism. Drain hole is to the outside of this.
Hi all. Just adding to this thread. So VW have now understood where the drainage holes are and said they were blocked and have now cleared them. However during a recent trip away where it rained whilst driving, we put the roof up and the same issue occurred in the corner where water comes through the corner and drips down. Is this normal? If you experience rain should there be water leaking into the cabin when you put the roof up ?
Many thanks for a continued assistance. This only appears to be happening since the roof repair.

I have just been looking for threads about roof drains and spotted that you had no reply to your post!
In my opinion you should have no leaks into your cabin following rain or at any other time even if the drain holes are blocked.
It occurs to me that maybe someone has tried to clear a blocked front roof drain in the past and in doing so has inadvertently punctured the drain tube (They go 90 degrees from the roof down the "A" post).
If it were me, and you are sure your problem follows a roof repair, I would go and talk to the dealer/body shop who made the repair.

I would be interested to know how you got/get on resolving this matter.

On the subject of drain channels I would definitely, especially when parked under trees, make it routine to check for debris. I keep a small soft brush handy. On one occasion I found a small acorn that I proudly showed to my other half as evidence that my obsessive checking was worth while.
Part of every wash is a quick check of the back and especially front channels under the plastic cap where leaves get trapped.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On the subject of drain channels I would definitely, especially when parked under trees, make it routine to check for debris. I keep a small soft brush handy. On one occasion I found a small acorn that I proudly showed to my other half as evidence that my obsessive checking was worth while.
Part of every wash is a quick check of the back and especially front channels under the plastic cap where leaves get trapped.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Is this not part of ordinary routine? I never considered there was another way! I am just like you :). Oh, and I make no apology/justification for my behaviour either. Better to do this than have water leaking where it should not go.......then there would be complaints!!!! No....it's an insurance activity - completely normal behaviour :D. Head high!

Back