Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top cover

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thinking of getting a rainbow cover. Just a question about rain. If it’s raining when you put the pop top up, it takes a few minutes to get the cover on, so the canvas will get a bit wet, before the topper wrap is put on. My question is if the canvas is wet behind the pop top cover will it dry out ? I also have a iso liner installed inside, so a wet canvas between two layers of insulation would it dry out ? Or remain a bit damp. My reason for getting a rainbow topper cover as well as the iso liner is that I live in a terrace street and don’t feel comfortable leaving the top up to dry in the street. I would only use the rainbow cover in really bad weather to make sure I don’t need to dry the canvas on my return. Hence the question will it dry out it gets a bit wet before the rainbow cover goes on

You do get some air flow with a topper. But to ensure completely dry you may want to raise the roof (maybe whilst sitting in the van, or drive somewhere local and raise it for a while to ensure dry).

Thinking of getting a rainbow cover. Just a question about rain. If it’s raining when you put the pop top up, it takes a few minutes to get the cover on, so the canvas will get a bit wet, before the topper wrap is put on. My question is if the canvas is wet behind the pop top cover will it dry out ? I also have a iso liner installed inside, so a wet canvas between two layers of insulation would it dry out ? Or remain a bit damp. My reason for getting a rainbow topper cover as well as the iso liner is that I live in a terrace street and don’t feel comfortable leaving the top up to dry in the street. I would only use the rainbow cover in really bad weather to make sure I don’t need to dry the canvas on my return. Hence the question will it dry out it gets a bit wet before the rainbow cover goes on
If you didn't have the internal liner fitted - Yes.
With it fitted I'm not so sure. That's why I don't use an internal.

How long does it take to dry in summer and then winter on a dry day

How long does it take to dry in summer and then winter on a dry day
That's difficult to answer as there are so many variables, temperature, higher the better, humidity, lower the better, and wind speed, higher the better within reason. Obviously having the internal isotherm fitted means all the moisture has to be dried out through one side of the canvas.
I would say at least 30 to 60 minutes on a warm sunny and breezy summers day for prolonged storage. Less if your using it again in a week or so. During winter possibly 2 hours for storage especially if cold.

I have a rainbow topper, they ask you to give them the measurements for your topper, so bloody difficult to do it accurately. As an ex engineer made sure it was right but it would have fit better if I had been given them smaller sizes as it would have fit better.

I have a rainbow topper, they ask you to give them the measurements for your topper, so bloody difficult to do it accurately. As an ex engineer made sure it was right but it would have fit better if I had been given them smaller sizes as it would have fit better.
Does your rainbow wrap only have the one front opening? Does that annoy you?

Are they good at decreasing wind noise and flap. I find if we’re not parked back into the wind the side panels flap a lot. Do they dampen / stop this effect?

Good question Icic. Was thinking the same about a calitopper and isotop. The Calitopper's different though in tht it doesn't touch the canvas. Following this thread with interest.

They're both different things. I like the topper because I camp in winter and it keeps ice out of the mechanism. Because I have the topper I find I dont need the isotop liner so never bought one. In really really bad weather I can always throw the topper over. I have it down to an art now. And An excuse to show my pic again here in the Alps.

IMG_20200222_170023.jpg

Are they good at decreasing wind noise and flap. I find if we’re not parked back into the wind the side panels flap a lot. Do they dampen / stop this effect?

The topper we have makes the flapping worse if anything. There's a lot of added loose fabric which makes a racket in gusty winds. I'm not sure if that's true of all toppers though.

The topper we have makes the flapping worse if anything. There's a lot of added loose fabric which makes a racket in gusty winds. I'm not sure if that's true of all toppers though.
Which one are you using?

I'm having a hell of a time trying to take the measurements. Done them to my best but I know they're not perfect. Don't want to balls it up as it's not a cheap thing to order!

Our Calitopper is flappy, especially at the wind out awning side where you can’t attach thin screws along the rail.

We have the comfortz topper. The awning side does flap a bit more in the wind but we tension the side elastic around the awning ends to make it a bit tighter.

We had a rainbow wrap made but found it difficult to use as I’m only 5ft 7 ins and my wife is 5ft 4 ins. Even with a fold out stool we still found it difficult to put on. Have since sold it. The comfortz works for us because you only need roof raised by 10 inches at front to put on/off. Takes us about 7 mins to put on. Have been considering isotop but I like to be able to watch bellows fold in as I lower roof and if we take off a wet topper we dry at home and canvas stays dry. We only use topper when really heavy storms forecast or very cold weather. Ordinarily bellows dries surprisingly quickly if it does get wet particularly if you put heater on - and it’s also quite easy to dry off lower part of bellows with microfibre towel.

Does your rainbow wrap only have the one front opening? Does that annoy you?
Hi we are away in the Cali so missed your reply, yes it does for the cost you would have thought it would have side windows too.