Pop top side vents and midges: our solution

B

BSquared

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Midges are making an appearance in west coast Scotland earlier and earlier with each passing year. By early May they are around, with the sole purpose of making life difficult..... Including for campervan owners. In the California T6.1, all of the vents in the pop-top can be zipped shut.....except the small side vents (see photograph). They are the problem vents. There is much discussion on possible solutions, which we have read with interest, having encountered midges at their worst, which makes the upper bed unusable, forcing us to sleep 'downstairs' with the roof closed. Not ideal. Here is our inexpensive and quick offering to the problem/solution. The material (ladies) tights are made from is essentially 'midge proof'. Cut off the legs from a pair (the bigger sizes being better.....might require buying anonymously some XXXL tights) and offer up to the vent. Virtually all the adhesive tapes we tried are useless - very little stickabiity on the pop-top material. Tuck in the tights material where the roof lining and side ('canvas') meet (blunt/handle end of scissors worked for us (see photograph). This should hold in place nicely..... and stay in place when roof is lowered. To complete the seal, we used 3M duct tape: it sticks moderately well when not asked to take any weight (see photograph). In combination with Jerba's midge screens for the side windows, we think we have 'solved' our midge problem. So far. BB

17168147423315136680451460711662.jpg

1716814785844711869536402702913.jpg

17168148108889161537100046084194.jpg

This has put me off visiting Scotland so far. I couldn't bear it.

Just go before or after the Midge season. We’ve not had a problem apart from once Loch side in Ullapool.

Are the standard fly screens that you get in a t6.1 not fine enough mesh to keep midges out?

We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for 45 years, never had a problem with midges.

I thought about removable cover attached by velcro. Not sure if velcro tape would stick to the fabric, didn't try it yet. In my case, it was to eliminate cold air.

We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for 45 years, never had a problem with midges.
I live up here in NE Scotland. And believe me they can ruin a camping trip and drive you insane. We have aborted several weekends away due to them over the years. And tend to avoid West coast and inland camping in June to mid-September , unless it’s forecast to be windy

The mesh on the vents and flyscreen can in theory let midges through, but I find with permethrin sprayed on it stops them.

Jerba do some bona-fide midge-proof flyscreens, but with finer mesh comes less air flow, which in peak midge season (humid and fairly still) will be when you want ventilation the most (albeit without letting in the blighters).

Eat Marmite, Midges don't like Marmite