Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof vibration

Fitz@CFB

Fitz@CFB

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Driving back through France in the last couple of days have had a vibration which seems to be coming from the front of the pop-up roof panel. Only happens above 70mph and once it starts it is easily felt by pulling back the sliding interior section and feeling the roof moving. Only way to stop it is to slow down so I am sure it must be wind associated once enough speed causes some looseness/tolerance to be exploited.
I have opened and closed the roof several times to be sure it is properly seated and there is no visible sign of any problem or obstruction. All the seals are clean and the drainage channels clear.
The low pitch noise which indicates it is tightening after the roof comes down is activating normally. Also have tried to push the roof up manually while stationary but there is no sign of movement. Have checked and there is no visible sign of distortion along the line of the roof and it looks to be firmly sealed at the front when closed.
We do have 2 of Roger Donahue’s solar panels but these have never caused any noise prior to this and all seems secure and tight with them.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Have looked in the manual but no help - its a user guide not a maintenance manual. I’m wondering if the mechanism can ‘ease’ with use and if there is any way of adjusting/tightening the closing mechanism to ensure a tight seal that the wind cannot get under it. The vehicle is 18 months old and has done about 11k miles.
Any help gratefully received. Would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if there is a simple fix.

Driving back through France in the last couple of days have had a vibration which seems to be coming from the front of the pop-up roof panel. Only happens above 70mph and once it starts it is easily felt by pulling back the sliding interior section and feeling the roof moving. Only way to stop it is to slow down so I am sure it must be wind associated once enough speed causes some looseness/tolerance to be exploited.
I have opened and closed the roof several times to be sure it is properly seated and there is no visible sign of any problem or obstruction. All the seals are clean and the drainage channels clear.
The low pitch noise which indicates it is tightening after the roof comes down is activating normally. Also have tried to push the roof up manually while stationary but there is no sign of movement. Have checked and there is no visible sign of distortion along the line of the roof and it looks to be firmly sealed at the front when closed.
We do have 2 of Roger Donahue’s solar panels but these have never caused any noise prior to this and all seems secure and tight with them.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Have looked in the manual but no help - its a user guide not a maintenance manual. I’m wondering if the mechanism can ‘ease’ with use and if there is any way of adjusting/tightening the closing mechanism to ensure a tight seal that the wind cannot get under it. The vehicle is 18 months old and has done about 11k miles.
Any help gratefully received. Would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if there is a simple fix.
Not something that has been mentioned without some obvious cause being found.
I have a solar panel and driven at Autobahn speeds without any such noise/vibration.
However, when I was cleaning the roof, about 2 yrs after fitting the panel I did notice a small gap between the panel and roof centre where the foam strip on the underside had compressed/flattened, originally no gap as it was filled by the foam, and so I put a small piece of BlueTack underneath filling the gap.
Maybe something similar in your case and the panel is fluttering at speed? Try a folded piece of paper/cardboard wedged in there in the centre of the leading edge of the panel and see if the noise/vibration alters?