Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta potties and where do you put things?

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
They say patience is a virtue but I was behind the door when they gave it out...12 sleeps until we get our Cali!
So, where do you put various things?
Will our Thetford portapotty at 30.5 cm high fit under the back shelf on any setting?
How big is the washing up bowl, will I be able to fit the square bowls in it?

Is it really still 12 sleeps until we get her?!!!!

Elaine and Steve

Yes your potti will fit under the rear shelf. As for the sink its tiny
You are better off getting a colapsable bowl or bucket to use

I gave up carrying my porta-potti in the boot.

It was never convenient when you want it to be convenient, miles from anywhere and that last cup of tea being the one cup too many.

It is now my stool, pouffe, something to sit on when rummaging around in the door under the seat, with a very nice padded washable cover draped over it.

and no, its 43 sleeps because VW made a mistake with the build week

As already confirmed porta potty does fit under back shelf, we use the sink but without the vw supplied basin as that makes it a little bigger.

We keep a bigger square basin in the bottom on the cupboard under the sink. We use that if we are on a campsite with dish washing facilities, and for shower (12v submerible) when summer wild camping.

I gave up carrying my porta-potti in the boot.

It was never convenient when you want it to be convenient, miles from anywhere and that last cup of tea being the one cup too many.

It is now my stool, pouffe, something to sit on when rummaging around in the door under the seat, with a very nice padded washable cover draped over it.

and no, its 43 sleeps because VW made a mistake with the build week

Thankfully ours is preregistered and awaiting the appointed day in Norwich! I did even check to make sure it was the 180 too...

Relieved the loo will fit in the back. Can't be doing with a sprint across the campsite in the wee small hours (double intender...).
Himself won't venture out at night after an insident with a mad Dutch woman in Iceland. He was white as asheet when he head dived back into the tent. Nuff said.

As already confirmed porta potty does fit under back shelf, we use the sink but without the vw supplied basin as that makes it a little bigger.

Don't you find sitting in the sink a little uncomfortable?

Tell us more about the Mad Dutch woman!!!! She sounds interesring??

Don't you find sitting in the sink a little uncomfortable?
Jen, sounds like you've been raiding your wine cooler again :D same thought occurred to me after a couple of glasses!

I'm demob happy because I am sorting Albert out for us to both go away for a week this Monday :rolleyes:

Happiness is packing the cali, Joy is driving off in it and ecstasy is the 3rd glass of wine at a Britstop.

Ours sits in the cabinet under the sink , higherd the shelf so it sits on the bottom !
Can't see why you put it in the booth , i see a porta potti as a " toilet if no other option" meaning when standing on places with no toilets in the nieghbourhood ( no camping,pub,public toilet arround) it is when the need is high it must be whitin reach...and not in the booth!
Even when parked say in the middle of town center , just close the blinds take it out from under sink ....and do my thing. Thats where a porta potti stands for!

I'm looking to buy a porta potty been looking at the thetford cube but struggling to understand what the difference is between say a 335 and a 345 apart from the ÂŁ40 price difference anybody got any advice ? Many thanks

Ours sits in the cabinet under the sink , higherd the shelf so it sits on the bottom !
Can't see why you put it in the booth , i see a porta potti as a " toilet if no other option" meaning when standing on places with no toilets in the nieghbourhood ( no camping,pub,public toilet arround) it is when the need is high it must be whitin reach...and not in the booth!
Even when parked say in the middle of town center , just close the blinds take it out from under sink ....and do my thing. Thats where a porta potti stands for!
Actually there is an alternative to this. If you take out the stop from the rail nearest to the kitchen unit, the bench seat can be slid right forward. You can then enter a private cubicle behind the seat, just pull the potti forward from under the shelf, throw a blanket over the two headrests and pull down the blinds. Sometimes we use this system, other times we leave the potti in the front to form a pouffe behind the driver's seat a la GrannyJen.

It is a Ca-loo-fornia after all :D

Btw just replaced our 20+ year old Visa Potti with a Dometic unit which has a pump up flush system which can be operated by a push button. Only because the handle broke off the Visa Potti.

What toilet chemicals does everyone use that don't make the van smell of potty all the time? I'd rather not drive around in a formaldehyde portaloo.

What toilet chemicals does everyone use that don't make the van smell of potty all the time? I'd rather not drive around in a formaldehyde portaloo.
What do you mean? Cali owners poops don't smell!

Seriously, we only use ours for No 1's and just use the minimum amount of fluid. Shut the shutter ASAP!

Ha ha - I wouldn't dream of using it for No.2's.

Haven't got my van yet, but have a preconceived idea of how caravan toilets smell of chemical.

Ha ha - I wouldn't dream of using it for No.2's.

Haven't got my van yet, but have a preconceived idea of how caravan toilets smell of chemical.
You have to open all the windows and continuously open and shut the elevating roof (they're not called bellows for nothing) until the smell goes :D:D:D

If you are out in the wilds you use the porta potty for 1 and 2's or take a shovel, if you only stay in campsites I think you will be missing so much of what the cali is best at.

If you are out in the wilds you use the porta potty for 1 and 2's or take a shovel, if you only stay in campsites I think you will be missing so much of what the cali is best at.
Probably true, but unless you're on your own, you need a very understanding partner who doesn't mind going for a walk if you're not ;)

You don't.

A thetford 335 is pretty smell proof, even after a vindaloo.

I use dometic. Also bio washing powder in the flush. No problem with pong but there again emptying the loo is a daily task, or should be, so no time for anything to ferment.

It is called camping,

If you don't want camping smells then buy a Vauxhall Zafira and a caravan and go and sit on a caravan club site all through the summer complaining about dog poo and children riding bicycles enjoying themselves.

You don't.

It is called camping,

If you don't want camping smells then buy a Vauxhall Zafira and a caravan and go and sit on a caravan club site all through the summer complaining about dog poo and children riding bicycles enjoying themselves.

Sorry I asked. For someone who advocates this as being the friendliest forum on the planet, I would say that you have a narrow minded opinion of caravanners.

Back