Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable loo when 'wild camping'

B

Bromley47

iVan Sets Off
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I know this will not be a a popular statement, but when people with motor homes (as distinct to camper vans) say they are going 'wild camping' is this really the expression they should be using? I am talking about motor homes with toilets and showers. Not exactly wild although they my be in the middle of nowhere.
Also I think a motor home is a motor home if its got a toilet and shower, when its a camper van if it hasn't.

Would be interested to hear other peoples comments.

Also when one does go 'wild camping' what do camper vanners find is the best toilet to use ( and I mean taking your own and not going 'in the woods!'

Wild camping, for me, can be better phrased "permissive camping". Parking up where there are no facilities, no fees and often no people. This can range from a britstop to being miles off the beaten track.

When I am wild camping I use a variant of bog-in-a-bag so it can be stored and carried home. Where possible I will also use a shovel to minimise the amount of objectionable waste I am carrying around.

The problem with chemical loo's when travelling away from facilities is that they get filled up and then you have to worry over how you empty the contents, human waste contaminated with chemical waste.

I know this will not be a a popular statement, but when people with motor homes (as distinct to camper vans) say they are going 'wild camping' is this really the expression they should be using? I am talking about motor homes with toilets and showers. Not exactly wild although they my be in the middle of nowhere.
Also I think a motor home is a motor home if its got a toilet and shower, when its a camper van if it hasn't.

Also when one does go 'wild camping' what do camper vanners find is the best toilet to use ( and I mean taking your own and not going 'in the woods!'

That video is so funny. Must have been a tough gig.

Wild camping is all fine with a portable toilet until someone needs a poo and there are no public toilets nearby.

Wild camping is all fine with a portable toilet until someone needs a poo and there are no public toilets nearby.
Not a problem with a Bog in a Bag, just change the bag. The bags are biodegradable and just go in a convenient rubbish bin, or can be buried.

Real wild camping is getting out there in a tent and pooing in a hole in the ground

I have this one, which I would recommend: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/sunncamp-lulu-portable-toilet
Simple and no chemicals. Also, a very reasonable price. I'm not keen to use chemicals because of the smell and complications of disposal, and perhaps not so environmentally friendly - though I haven't checked that. Its great for a night-time pee (especially for women), and only needs a good rinse out afterwards. It hasn't been tried for a no.2, but as the base is fully open (without the bucket insert), I'm sure you could place it over a dug hole (not too big!) for a comfortable 'wild' experience. I intend to try that if/when I do some wild camping. It's a comfortable enough height for sitting (higher than most portapotties) yet fits under the rear boot divider.

I have this one, which I would recommend: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/sunncamp-lulu-portable-toilet
Simple and no chemicals. Also, a very reasonable price. I'm not keen to use chemicals because of the smell and complications of disposal, and perhaps not so environmentally friendly - though I haven't checked that. Its great for a night-time pee (especially for women), and only needs a good rinse out afterwards. It hasn't been tried for a no.2, but as the base is fully open (without the bucket insert), I'm sure you could place it over a dug hole (not too big!) for a comfortable 'wild' experience. I intend to try that if/when I do some wild camping. It's a comfortable enough height for sitting (higher than most portapotties) yet fits under the rear boot divider.
Thanks for that PeterE - does the club shop do the spare bags or where do you get them from?

We have a pop a loo and fine it great for night time and folds away nicely into a bag.

I'm happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that the majority of so called bio-degradable plastic (

I'm happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that the majority of so called bio-degradable plastic (poo bags) just break down into small bits of plastic that are more easily spread around the environment and ingested by animals. A shovel on the other hand... … is reusable!

I have a fancy Portapotti in my Cali, it fits neatly at the end of the bed so I can use it in the night - often I might not have time to get out and dig a hole! In fact I've just upgraded it to one with a larger tank as I'm full of arthritis and was having problems getting down and up - this has the added benefit of extra storage! I wait till I'm home to empty it which is fine if I use other loos as and when I find them, and because I'm rarely away for more than a week. I do use chemicals and have never had a problem with smells - I did try a 'bio-friendly' one but it wasn't 100% succesful.
I disguise the loo by dropping a blanket over it - it pretty much disappears.

F9C2C032-1886-4B16-B08D-7E4FBD5613B9.jpeg Here’s my loo tent...again. And we use disposajohn bags. And a loo from Carplife. Has a bigger hole than the boho a bag seat ( I must have a big bottom as don’t really fit on the BIAB)

I’m not sure you can ‘wild camp’ in a £60,000 camper van.

However, SWMBO has decided she needs something for night time wee’s. The washing up bowl, apparently, is no longer good enough.

So I’m on the lookout, not sure about chemicals or even bags, thinking more like a potty with a lid?

Last edited:
View attachment 42397 Here’s my loo tent...again. And we use disposajohn bags. And a loo from Carplife. Has a bigger hole than the boho a bag seat ( I must have a big bottom as don’t really fit on the BIAB)
That is some bottom if it doesn’t fit a BIAB.:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Loz
I’m not sure you can ‘wild camp’ in a £60,000 camper van.

However, SWMBO has decided she needs something for night time wee’s. The washing up bowl, apparently, is no longer good enough.

So I’m on the lookout, not sure about chemicals or even bags, thinking more like a potty with a lid?

You definitely can and a Thetford Porta Potti 335 does the job

Mike

I have a fancy Portapotti in my Cali, it fits neatly at the end of the bed so I can use it in the night - often I might not have time to get out and dig a hole! In fact I've just upgraded it to one with a larger tank as I'm full of arthritis and was having problems getting down and up - this has the added benefit of extra storage! I wait till I'm home to empty it which is fine if I use other loos as and when I find them, and because I'm rarely away for more than a week. I do use chemicals and have never had a problem with smells - I did try a 'bio-friendly' one but it wasn't 100% succesful.
I disguise the loo by dropping a blanket over it - it pretty much disappears.
If you leave your portaloo on the floor just covered with a blanket, and have an accident, you could find yourself ending up in the sh----------, and I don't mean with the insurance company.

Back