Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Much a-loo about nothing? (Do we need a toilet?)

We put ours in the passnger area behind the driver seat when travelling. Don't have enough space to put it in the food cupboard! The whole idea seems a bit counter intuitive, even though it is very 'clean' In the morning when camping we put it outside in it's discreet cover. ( unless it is doing foot stool duties!)

indeed.... i wonder why people do put it in the cupboard , as it takes up a lot of very handy space there

We put ours in the passnger area behind the driver seat when travelling. Don't have enough space to put it in the food cupboard! The whole idea seems a bit counter intuitive, even though it is very 'clean' In the morning when camping we put it outside in it's discreet cover. ( unless it is doing foot stool duties!)
Same for us really.

Hi, we have a 335 Porta Potti and it works well for my 3am & 6am wees . It also doubles as a foot stool with its padded cover. It does however take up a sizeable chunk of the boot (my wife won’t have it in kitchen cupboards) and I’ve been considering the ‘bog in a bag’ option. My question is will this cope with two wees before disposal or does each need a new bag? I recognise it might depend on amount but any guidance would be helpful.

Hi, we used it the other night and between us had 4 wees which was fine in one bag. We used 2 of the powder sachets which turn it into a gel, though will use cat litter or sawdust in the future as the gel is not quite solid enough for us. Hope that helps.

Interesting. For me the biggest 'control' on what we take is the space it takes upwhen travelling. So this looks very interesting. Question though.... how strong is it, does it collapse when you sit on it??
Hi, it is super strong. It takes 150 kg and locks into place with four hinges which you have to unhinge to collapse it. It feels very stable and there is no way that if could collapse on its own. We did a bit of a bounce test and it didn't move an inch.

We find the pop-a-loo is ideal and is strong and packs up small and flat so takes up little room when packing up the van.

Slight thread hijack:- Does anyone know the practical difference betwen the green Dometic "Greencare" tabs and their blue "Powercare" tabs? Neither of them apparently contain formaldehyde. Has anyone tried both? Cheers.

Green

Blue

We went with the Bivvy Loo and used it for the first time last night. It was brilliant. Takes up no room in the van, easy to put up and take down. So happy with it.
View attachment 46019
+1 for the bivvyloo. Very sturdy and packs away flat. Always reminds me of those collapsible top hats that all magicians seemed to have when I was a child!

For all the people who say “I don’t need a porta potti “ I use the great outdoors. I take a shovel and dig a hole!.. No actually what most people do is stop by the side of the road in a convenient lay-by. climb over the fence into a farmers field squat down where a thousand have done previously. You can tell by the large amounts of tissue a couple of feet apart.. If the smell doesn’t kill you the flies certainly will.. Just ask yourself how would you like it if Some Johnny Foreigner stopped in his camper van and fouled in a field just down the road from your house.... Now that’s why we have a porta potti.....

For all the people who say “I don’t need a porta potti “ I use the great outdoors. I take a shovel and dig a hole!.. No actually what most people do is stop by the side of the road in a convenient lay-by. climb over the fence into a farmers field squat down where a thousand have done previously. You can tell by the large amounts of tissue a couple of feet apart.. If the smell doesn’t kill you the flies certainly will.. Just ask yourself how would you like it if Some Johnny Foreigner stopped in his camper van and fouled in a field just down the road from your house.... Now that’s why we have a porta potti.....

Yes it's disgusting

Yes it's disgusting
A field! That’s a bit too much trouble my local lay-by..... it’s just open the door an squat on the foot/cycle path. Being positive though after a few weeks the urine from the hedgerow washes it away. Another challenge cycling to work.

Regretfully very true and becoming a frequent occurrence. We have even spotted some emptying their porta potty by the side of the road off the A9. Near Borgie they even empty in the forrestry which will lead to bans being imposed in it continues.

Regretfully very true and becoming a frequent occurrence. We have even spotted some emptying their porta potty by the side of the road off the A9. Near Borgie they even empty in the forrestry which will lead to bans being imposed in it continues.
The deplorable lack of public toilets is the real scandal, our Victorian forbears built them in large numbers for their much smaller less mobile population we ignore the reality and hope the problems caused will go away.

The deplorable lack of public toilets is the real scandal, our Victorian forbears built them in large numbers for their much smaller less mobile population we ignore the reality and hope the problems caused will go away.
Agree. But there is little chance if any of any more opening as the Highland Council is closing centres and schools due to lack of funds. We have to educate people to respect the countryside and leave no trace.

Doesn't have to be a Porta Potti there are other systems that are more environmentally friendly.
Also, if all those Lay-by users actually used a shovel, dug a hole and filled it in afterwards then there would be no problem and certainly no smell or flies.

Doesn't have to be a Porta Potti there are other systems that are more environmentally friendly.
Also, if all those Lay-by users actually used a shovel, dug a hole and filled it in afterwards then there would be no problem and certainly no smell or flies.
Er no. You are still leaving your waste products on somebody else’s land.. All land belongs to someone and nobody has the right regardless of a shovel. If you need the toilet go in the right place. NOT in a lay-by or in a farmers field.....

Er no. You are still leaving your waste products on somebody else’s land.. All land belongs to someone and nobody has the right regardless of a shovel. If you need the toilet go in the right place. NOT in a lay-by or in a farmers field.....
Oh like the manure farmers manage to spray in the air and drop on the road. Properly buried human faeces have a beneficial effect on the land as farmers well know. They spread enough animal faeces.

Use of unprocessed fecal waste as a fertiliser is not risk free --> Night soil
Fortunately the Parasitic worms mentioned in that artical are extremely rare in the Northern hemisphere especially in those countries with cold winters. You are in more danger from some pet faeces than the human equivalent.