Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Much a-loo about nothing? (Do we need a toilet?)

Fit a cover on it and it becomes a delightful extra seat/footrest, it seems that some on here have found a way to make calls of nature optional, i am impressed.
Likewise. Fits under the sink. Good seals, no smells. Allows use of France Passion sites (too good to miss) and all Aires (most don’t have toilets) and lots of camping sauvage sites / stealth camping locations. Also handy on full facility campsites when it’s freezing outside in the middle of the night. We almost always sleep upstairs, so there’s at least a little privacy. We use it maybe only 20 times a year (out of about 100 nights away for two people) but for us it makes the Cali much more flexible. It would be nice if it was never needed, but we wouldn’t be without it, especially on our usual lengthy unplanned itineraries.

There are toilets everywhere: supermarkets, bars, garages, motorway picnic areas etc so there is no need to panic for the no.2 and a she wee for the quickie. To be honest who wants to do a no.2 inside the van.
It's the 'middle of the night desperate need' that can mean having something like a Porta Potti. Casually walking over to the loos in my pyjamas in the pouring rain on a cold windy night is It something you don’t want to do too much of I’ve found

We would not be without our loo as it opens up the opportunity for so many more camping locations. Before we got our loo we used to stay only on campsites with facilities but now we can stay at much more beautiful locations.

If a club member a porta potti allows you to use CL sites. ( Those with basic facilities only but in great locations).

[QUOTE="Toilet bucket lined with a bin bag and scoop of cat litter (or chuck in sawdust as needed for a more eco-friendly version) :thumb "

[/QUOTE]
or even dispense with the bucket and just use the bag. If you are really wild camping and can get outside, then please do take a trowel and make it so no one can tell you have been there. That is an absolute MUST. If you have bagged it in the van, then make sure that is disposed of properly as well.

My Bog in a Bag was cheaper than that. Packs up very small and with the supplied cover looks just like a 3 legged camping stool. Combined with a pop-up toilet tent covers All eventualities. On or Aff a site. No chemicals to carry or to empty at any time. And certainly does Not have to be carried in the kitchen cupboard.:shocked

Hi, we have a 335 Porta Potti and it works well for my 3am & 6am wees . It also doubles as a foot stool with its padded cover. It does however take up a sizeable chunk of the boot (my wife won’t have it in kitchen cupboards) and I’ve been considering the ‘bog in a bag’ option. My question is will this cope with two wees before disposal or does each need a new bag? I recognise it might depend on amount but any guidance would be helpful.

If a club member a porta potti allows you to use CL sites. ( Those with basic facilities only but in great locations).
Also the Camping In The Forest sites without loos insist on checking that you have “your own on board facilities”. Again some really great sites.

Hi, we have a 335 Porta Potti and it works well for my 3am & 6am wees . It also doubles as a foot stool with its padded cover. It does however take up a sizeable chunk of the boot (my wife won’t have it in kitchen cupboards) and I’ve been considering the ‘bog in a bag’ option. My question is will this cope with two wees before disposal or does each need a new bag? I recognise it might depend on amount but any guidance would be helpful.
Pee in a bottle. Poo in a bag.

Free .... and it fits in the door pocket!
B3848FDF-0A6C-477E-83EF-1536B0447544.jpeg

A very good amount , maximum about 3 or 4 litres. It has a pad of some sort in the bottom. Liquid gels. Tie bag up and dump in general rubbish. Bags are supposed to be bio-degradable.

The bags don’t cope with a huge volume of liquid but you can buy liquid absorbing sachets and adding a couple of those makes all the difference.

OK. my last comment on this. In my experience, in my opinion, it is difficult to poo without peeing. But it is certainly not ideal to deal with the two together in any sort of simple straight forward bag arrangement. So my advice is. Pee in a bottle first, then poo in a bag. For me this has become the perfect solution. Especially when in the van with clouds of midgies outside just waiting for me to expose myself. Enough information?

Thanks All. I think we will give it a try and see if it works ok.

btw, i don't store the porta potti in the boot nor under the sink so it doesn't take up luggage space

Get the other side of 60 and a loo is really useful (especially in the middle of the night). Happy to do number 1’s and 2’s in the great outdoors (digging holes) but not always convenient as per location, environment or weather. Have a Thetford cube and mainly just use it just for wees.

Get the other side of 60 and a loo is really useful (especially in the middle of the night). Happy to do number 1’s and 2’s in the great outdoors (digging holes) but not always convenient as per location, environment or weather. Have a Thetford cube and mainly just use it just for wees.

indeed, fidling with a bottle is less atractive

We went with the Bivvy Loo and used it for the first time last night. It was brilliant. Takes up no room in the van, easy to put up and take down. So happy with it.

We put ours in the passnger area behind the driver seat when travelling. Don't have enough space to put it in the food cupboard! The whole idea seems a bit counter intuitive, even though it is very 'clean' In the morning when camping we put it outside in it's discreet cover. ( unless it is doing foot stool duties!)

We went with the Bivvy Loo and used it for the first time last night. It was brilliant. Takes up no room in the van, easy to put up and take down. So happy with it.
View attachment 46019
Interesting. For me the biggest 'control' on what we take is the space it takes upwhen travelling. So this looks very interesting. Question though.... how strong is it, does it collapse when you sit on it??

Interesting. For me the biggest 'control' on what we take is the space it takes upwhen travelling. So this looks very interesting. Question though.... how strong is it, does it collapse when you sit on it??
I have a fisherman friend who has one. Even if it appears to be a 'healthy' position to do your business, I personally found it too low. I prefer my solid multiple uses bucket+bags.
Still have a brand new Thetford cube and cabinet fitting if somebody would look for one.
If I make me a re-evaluation of the use (N°2's) over a full year I should say it must be 5% with the shovel, 10% in the Luggable Loo with bags, and 85% in normal facilities like pubs, gaz stations, public buildings... But indeed it saved me once or twice in traffic jams at high need.
(edit: being a man, a bottle does come in handy more frequently though ;))

Last edited: