Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable solar

Tompoole

Tompoole

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi people
Now had Cali for 3k miles and few trips under our belt, I would like to but a prtable solar case with clips for easy install, I have two questions

1 what’s best place to buy prtable solar panel case

2 which battery should I conect it too?
Under seat or rear one ?

Thanks
Tom

If only there were installers :(

If I was to even attempt to wire one in I would not only wreck my van but probably the local grid network as well:shocked

Hi people
Now had Cali for 3k miles and few trips under our belt, I would like to but a prtable solar case with clips for easy install, I have two questions

1 what’s best place to buy prtable solar panel case

2 which battery should I conect it too?
Under seat or rear one ?

Thanks
Tom
Doesn’t matter as they are wired in parallel . The rear one is easier to get to. Accessing the front one is a little more difficult. Take care with the front one if you undo any of the plugs going into the front seat for Airbags or Seat heating. Do Not switch on the ignition until the plugs are replaced or you will get an Airbag Dashboard alarm that requires connection to a Diagnostic computer to reset alarm.

Last edited:
For the 2018 season I recently bought a semi flexible 100W fold out panel:
http://www.lensunsolar.com/Foldable-solar-kit?product_id=266

Not had the chance to use it properly yet other than on the driveway. It seems well made and portable. The poles to prop the panel up tend to flop around so might add some retaining straps. Also intend to arrange some clips so that the panel can be hung from the awning rails or clipped to the roof rails / roofrack if I'm using that.
As I have a Beach the only (leisure) battery I can connect it to is under the passenger seat. I already had a direct CTEK connector to the leisure anyway but have now also routed a additional magcode connector that can be connected outside the van. Under the passenger seat and battery there is an existing rubber grommet that a cable can use to get from the battery to connector mounted outside on the plastic undertray. Bit of a pig of a job to do as the passenger seat, battery and seat base need to be removed to get to the grommet.

I have a 50w suitcase panel at present, which I also connect direct to the Beach leisure battery with a CTEK connector (and an extension to get it away from the van). If I had two batteries on my beach positive would go to one and negative to the other battery.

With a two battery setup you would need in theory need to have one connection (+ve) to rear and one (-ve) to front to maximise charging efficiency. Not sure how others do it with their permanently fixed panels on an ocean.

https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/tutorials/how-to-charge-marine-and-rv-batteries-in-parallel/

I am pondering just buying a 100w flexible panel and sticking it under the mattress when not in use.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Loz
With a two battery setup you would need in theory need to have one connection (+ve) to rear and one (-ve) to front to maximise charging efficiency. Not sure how others do it with their permanently fixed panels.
Negative to chassis so as not to bypass the charge monitor..

Slip of the pen? :cool:

Two 12V batteries in series would deliver 24V. The two leisure batteries are wired in parallel.
Thanks - corrected.

Back