Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Postage cost of Bellows bungee !!

Personally I don't see any need to apologise.

At the end of the day we are all grown-ups making a purchase choice well within our cognitive powers.

Bungee strap + postage = bad deal.

Bungee strap + 6 other items + postage = not so much of a bad deal.

I do it all the time. I'm about to place an order with Rohan. Sod it, £3.50 for £15? No way, but I do need x, y and z .... postage is still the same for £115, makes more sense.

At the end of the day if the composite price paid means I can get it cheaper elsewhere then I get it cheaper elsewhere, otherwise if I need it I pay it. What's the problem?
Got it in one!

If you wanted to save money,...I haven't measured exactly, but you can get 5meters of 2.5m Shock cord for £2.25 from the local hardware store.
But with the bellows bungee you get the thaught that has gone into the design, it is the correct length and power, and has a clip.(though mine slips so I knot it anyway )
I don't feel bad buying it from here, though I agree that a choice of postage options would be a good idea.

I also was going to buy the bungee a couple of weeks ago until I saw the postage fee, so did not bother. If there are other items I want later then I may order. But giving it a miss for now.

If you really want to save money, don't go for the postage, don't go for the bungee, do go for the mark one eyeball and leaping in and out of the vehicle every couple of seconds to make sure that nothing is trapped as the roof is lowered. This is, after all, about looking after a 50k+ vehicle. The bungee is useful but not a critical essential so one is really not trapped into a "must have at any price" action.

I don't currently have a bungee. I do have a couple of scars on my £50+k vehicle. I will in time order a replacement but I will not order one until I require further items to help defray the cost of postage.

Quite frankly, the most important thing is option one, mark one eyeball, not whether a piece of heavy duty knicker elastic arrives via DPD or by someone popping it in a letter box with second class post attached.

Last edited:
I used to work in a very capital intensive industry where every product we made only had £1 margin in it, but every couple of seconds, one product (ie £1 margin) rolled off each of the 20 production lines we'd built around Europe. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It all added up. Believe me.

Move forward several years and I'm a one man band, doing different tasks every single part of every single day. If I hadn't change my business mindset, I'd be bankrupt.

If you want whoever runs the Cali shop to:
* immediately to down tools and stop what they are doing as soon as your £10 order pings through
* to get in their car (which they've had to insure for business use) and drive 5 miles to a post office
* engage with a few locals for 10 mins in the post office
* wait until the queue dies down, and then while the postmaster inputs your address into his Soviet era PC
* then drive 5 miles back home
* enter the postage and mileage costs into his spreadsheet of accounts
* then file the receipt for the postage away in the correct A4 folder
* file away the proof of posting for your parcel
* prepare an email to you with your parcel tracking information
* budget for the auditor to check he's done all the above correctly
* before eventually trying to remember and get back to what he was doing when your order arrived
Then I suggest you may soon bankrupt him if you only are willing to pay him the actual cost of a Royal Mail signed for small parcel (£3.95 2nd class)

Personally I don't see any need to apologise.

At the end of the day we are all grown-ups making a purchase choice well within our cognitive powers.

Bungee strap + postage = bad deal.

Bungee strap + 6 other items + postage = not so much of a bad deal.

I do it all the time. I'm about to place an order with Rohan. Sod it, £3.50 for £15? No way, but I do need x, y and z .... postage is still the same for £115, makes more sense.

At the end of the day if the composite price paid means I can get it cheaper elsewhere then I get it cheaper elsewhere, otherwise if I need it I pay it. What's the problem?
Jen, they will deliver them for free to your nearest shop ?Chichester for you? Which means that you can go down and try the order on. It also means that you can have a look round the shop and, if like me, you are weak (Mrs DoH says) you can buy even more Rohan kit that you probably don't need but is nice to have!:)

Jen, they will deliver them for free to your nearest shop ?Chichester for you? Which means that you can go down and try the order on. It also means that you can have a look round the shop and, if like me, you are weak (Mrs DoH says) you can buy even more Rohan kit that you probably don't need but is nice to have!:)

The time I spend in Blacks, Cotswold and Rohan in Chichester they should give me freedom of the city :offtopic:shocked

The noise of complaints about the postage costs on a bungi will be completely drowned out by the horrendous screams, gnashing of teeth and tearing noises as the scissors slice through your beloved bellows.

True trailertrash, but you still need to look carefully, even with one fitted.They do not come with a guarantee.
I was told by my dealer that the 2015 calis have stronger supports that are harder to evert, because of the previous problems......not sure how true this is.
I have a bungee, but especially now I have a Cali cosi, don't like the way it pleats the bellows, especially above the hatch. I make a nice single fold on each side.
So I check...at least twice from the outside when lowering the roof, and I keep the bungee in the door, and will fit it if things seem to be going wrong..so far so good!!

True trailertrash, but you still need to look carefully, even with one fitted.They do not come with a guarantee.
I was told by my dealer that the 2015 calis have stronger supports that are harder to evert, because of the previous problems......not sure how true this is.
I have a bungee, but especially now I have a Cali cosi, don't like the way it pleats the bellows, especially above the hatch. I make a nice single fold on each side.
So I check...at least twice from the outside when lowering the roof, and I keep the bungee in the door, and will fit it if things seem to be going wrong..so far so good!!

I did not know that.............And being Welsh we usually know everything! Must be honest I have had the same thoughts about the pleatsI always stick my head through the hatch and watch it down to the last few seconds. Ours is a 2015 T5 I might remove the bungi and see how I get on.

We have a 2015 model, I think the bungy is an essential piece of kit, certainly aids closing safely. Far bigger risk without it , I personally wouldn't go round folding the fabric, a fold is the same as a crease,pleat whatever with that fabric. IMO of course. Does the roof material "bunch" up too much in the hatch opening with the Cali Cosi and bungy fitted?

I did not know that.............And being Welsh we usually know everything! Must be honest I have had the same thoughts about the pleatsI always stick my head through the hatch and watch it down to the last few seconds. Ours is a 2015 T5 I might remove the bungi and see how I get on.
GULP. Don't blame me if it all goes terribly wrong
Though we did a 5 week summer tour, a few random weeks and lots of week ends, and so far so good

We have a 2015 model, I think the bungy is an essential piece of kit, certainly aids closing safely. Far bigger risk without it , I personally wouldn't go round folding the fabric, a fold is the same as a crease,pleat whatever with that fabric. IMO of course. Does the roof material "bunch" up too much in the hatch opening with the Cali Cosi and bungy fitted?
There only fold I do is at the front, I make a sort of zed shape both sides, so only a single pleat each side, and it leaves a totally flat front piece that makes it much eaisier to close the hatch.
My first and second Cali experiences were in Martins vans, so I was well educated, and sold on the idea of the bungee, especially after reading the forum.
I also saw somebody catch theirs while they were showing off the van to me!!
With the cosi on, it is harder to be 100% sure the formers are folding in, so I always chance from outside....twice....just one of the rituals you get into , like when you put the bed up and down