Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential new buyer.

Cali vs most others:
Blinds that work, not curtains.
Heater (often extra in others)
Brilliantly integrated outside table and chairs.
Sliding bench seat - very versatile.
Comfortable robust roof bed.

Poss negative:
Sometimes over-complex ( eg electric roof)

Clincher - looks much more modern and integrated than most conversions though I think Bilbos also look good. Much nicer than many dark wood, dark seats and curtains versions in my opinion.

I reckon when you compare the kit the Cali doesn't really look so expensive next to the others.

HTH

Cali vs most others:
Blinds that work, not curtains.
Heater (often extra in others)
Brilliantly integrated outside table and chairs.
Sliding bench seat - very versatile.
Comfortable robust roof bed.

Poss negative:
Sometimes over-complex ( eg electric roof)

Clincher - looks much more modern and integrated than most conversions though I think Bilbos also look good. Much nicer than many dark wood, dark seats and curtains versions in my opinion.

I reckon when you compare the kit the Cali doesn't really look so expensive next to the others.

HTH

and ...

Most conversions start with the basic power plant, manual transmission, FWD.

By the time you have "upgraded to... essential for me personally.... at least 140, DSG and all season tyres minimum, you are often exceeding the price of a cali.

Another plus is the boot, sounds silly, but every time I looked at a conversion I thought "what happens when I go shopping".... do I have 8 cases of wine sliding about in the habitation area?

We priced up conversions and they cost more than the Cali for the spec we wanted. No brainer for us. 4wd, auto, 6'4 bed in the roof.
New spec would include parking heater which We had no idea we would use so much? Oh and the fab cool box. And the really comfy beds. Oh and the cool sat nav which is the bees knees. Aah and the wifi router in the glove box which keeps the teenager happy. Did I mention how much sneaky storage there is. Oh, and I love razzing it past slow moving vehicles. Not to mention the additoinal table and remarkably comfy chairs?
I might worry about how much she cost but would We spend it again. Oh yes.
The gardens gone to pot though as we seem to have been away in her a lot...

I chose my conversion just because I liked it! I only had a few choices of layout and had hired one first so knew it was what I wanted.
My converter had reasons I should chose his over a Cali, obviously, but there are pros and cons re both. I think it's important the converter maintains the VW warranty.
I would say though that if the converter is not in reasonable proximity, I would have been more concerned. I think we all have teething problems. I just make a weekend of it. There's a lovely site nearby, so any excuse!
I live in the hope it won't breakdown, but if it does, then it's a VW after all and the fridge and hob are well known manufacturers....fingers crossed there!

Back