Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential Purchase Questions

sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Having looked at similar size vans this weekend - nothing compares in look/design to the GC. So some questions:

Is the battery capacity big enough? Is there an easy upgrade route yet or is the GC still too scary for third parties.

Does the Solar option make a sensible difference and is there a third party route that does not make a mess?

The cooker/sink is marginally bigger than a normal Cali, is it big enough and do you miss and oven/microwave that would be in an alternative van conversion?

The 240 v sockets don’t work unless on hook up – is this correct (seems odd as the normal Cali has a 240 socket that does)

There are plenty of youtubes about the issues and service from VW – but as an early adopter of the original Cali I fully expect to know more than the dealers! I ended up with a really good relationship with a local dealer who learned as much as I did and was always ready to learn and help. Also these things are not maintenance and TLC free.

What other options should we be looking for on a 2nd hand one?

Having looked at similar size vans this weekend - nothing compares in look/design to the GC. So some questions:

Is the battery capacity big enough? Is there an easy upgrade route yet or is the GC still too scary for third parties.

Does the Solar option make a sensible difference and is there a third party route that does not make a mess?

The cooker/sink is marginally bigger than a normal Cali, is it big enough and do you miss and oven/microwave that would be in an alternative van conversion?

The 240 v sockets don’t work unless on hook up – is this correct (seems odd as the normal Cali has a 240 socket that does)

There are plenty of youtubes about the issues and service from VW – but as an early adopter of the original Cali I fully expect to know more than the dealers! I ended up with a really good relationship with a local dealer who learned as much as I did and was always ready to learn and help. Also these things are not maintenance and TLC free.

What other options should we be looking for on a 2nd hand one?
Battery capacity big enough? Depends what you’re doing/your requirements. With factory fitted solar (a must have) I have happily gone 3 nights over a long weekend with no hookup, and not worried about it. That did rely on a bit of sunshine (early September) to top the battery up on a daily basis.
It only has one 95ah agm battery, so not much to play with as standard.
I have added an additional LiFePO4 100ah battery, but it’s not plug n play, a needs a little bit of work. Many others seem to go down the slightly more expensive route of a bluetti/Jackary/ ecoflow unit.

The GC does not have an inverter. So no 230v power without hookup. Hence why some peeps favour the above mentioned power packs.

Didn’t have an oven or microwave in my previous Cali’s so don’t miss it. When on hookup an air fryer works well, in the better weather it’s all about cooking outdoors for me.

Options to look out for are definitely solar, SOG toilet vent system is great too. Electric folding mirrors useful, ambient lighting is really nice, use it a lot. I have diesel heating which is great, gas is more common on vehicles but apparently can get through bottles quite quickly if using the heating a lot during colder months. Oh and reversing camera is a must have.

Hope that’s helped, but a lot is personal preference and down to how you plan to use it.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello,

There will be a lot of different opinions that you will receive, because everybody requirements are different, their expectations are different etc.

Let me add my 5c:

Battery capacity
No, 92Ah AGM battery is too small. Based on the technology only 46Ah can be used regularly without damaging the battery.
If you get solar panels and use the camper only during summer or nice weather it will be fine. If you plan to use it year round, you always will have an eye on the camper unit to get an indication about the battery level.
From my experience arriving on an aire in the afternoon at about 4 pm in late autumn or winter (cloudy sky) and the battery is on 100% in the morning at about 8 am it can be down to 50% or even less.
Is there an easy upgrade? In my opinion there is not (ok, some people will disagree). There is only one company that I would trust to do it correctly and backed up by VW - and this company is in Germany and charges a lot of money for it. But it is done correctly.

Solar panels
Well, I'd say for the GC 600 it must be the original solar panel. For the GC 680 this might be different.

Microwave / cooker
Well, we never had one in the camper before so I don't know. Thinking about it, it would be nice to have, but I can't see the space for it in the Grand California.

VW Service
Like in many campervans or motorhomes there will be problems with the Grand California. The most important part is the find a competent and willing to help VW dealer. If you find one, all the issues can be dealt with.

Options
Well, there are many and some make sense, some not. But this depends on the user and the needs.

Here would be my list:
  • LED lights (look very good and have a decent light)
  • Solar panel (GC 600)
  • Traffic sign recognition (I like it)
  • Blind spot warning (I don't have it, but I think it might be helpful if you plan to drive on the continent)
  • Diesel heater (needs more electricity than gas, but you won't have any problems to find fuel for the heating, just saying Finland)
  • SOG (I agree is very handy)
  • Trailer hitch (even if you won't plan to get a trailer, it helps if you wish to transport bikes)
Just my thoughts about your query.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi just be careful buying a second hand one; I’d look for ex demo or go down the intern car dealer route.
Good luck

Hello,

There will be a lot of different opinions that you will receive, because everybody requirements are different, their expectations are different etc.

Let me add my 5c:

Battery capacity
No, 92Ah AGM battery is too small. Based on the technology only 46Ah can be used regularly without damaging the battery.
If you get solar panels and use the camper only during summer or nice weather it will be fine. If you plan to use it year round, you always will have an eye on the camper unit to get an indication about the battery level.
From my experience arriving on an aire in the afternoon at about 4 pm in late autumn or winter (cloudy sky) and the battery is on 100% in the morning at about 8 am it can be down to 50% or even less.
Is there an easy upgrade? In my opinion there is not (ok, some people will disagree). There is only one company that I would trust to do it correctly and backed up by VW - and this company is in Germany and charges a lot of money for it. But it is done correctly.

Solar panels
Well, I'd say for the GC 600 it must be the original solar panel. For the GC 680 this might be different.

Microwave / cooker
Well, we never had one in the camper before so I don't know. Thinking about it, it would be nice to have, but I can't see the space for it in the Grand California.

VW Service
Like in many campervans or motorhomes there will be problems with the Grand California. The most important part is the find a competent and willing to help VW dealer. If you find one, all the issues can be dealt with.

Options
Well, there are many and some make sense, some not. But this depends on the user and the needs.

Here would be my list:
  • LED lights (look very good and have a decent light)
  • Solar panel (GC 600)
  • Traffic sign recognition (I like it)
  • Blind spot warning (I don't have it, but I think it might be helpful if you plan to drive on the continent)
  • Diesel heater (needs more electricity than gas, but you won't have any problems to find fuel for the heating, just saying Finland)
  • SOG (I agree is very handy)
  • Trailer hitch (even if you won't plan to get a trailer, it helps if you wish to transport bikes)
Just my thoughts about your query.

Regards,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhar,

I’m interested in your comment “There is only one company that I would trust to do it correctly and backed up by VW - and this company is in Germany and charges a lot of money for it. But it is done correctly” are you able to share their contact details. Web site?
thanks in advance.

Hi Eberhar,

I’m interested in your comment “There is only one company that I would trust to do it correctly and backed up by VW - and this company is in Germany and charges a lot of money for it. But it is done correctly” are you able to share their contact details. Web site?
thanks in advance.

Good morning,

In a view minutes I am off to Ennis, Co. Clare. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi Eberhar,

thanks in advance.
www.car-electric.de

Good morning,

In a view minutes I am off to Ennis, Co. Clare. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Eberhard
No worries Eberhard I have it Via Chris but thank you.

Back