Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential roof problem

Wow, a simple but effective solution. Important to remember it’s there though, although you could take it off when the sun goes down I suppose.
Yes remembering to remove them is key, esp the awning side as it is hard to see. I leave a note on the dash to remind me. We normally take them off at night.

just a thought

Does anyone know if the hydraulic oil used in a T6.1 roof mech is the same or has been changed from previous models.
Could a different hydraulic oil be causing some of the issues ?

it seems a lot of people report the issue when there is a variation in ambient temperature !

edit could it be simply the grade has been changed, possibly saving VW a few pennies ?

THE DENSITY OF HYDRAULIC OIL​

The hydraulic oil density is the ratio of its mass to the volume of space it occupies. It is expressed as grams per milliliter (g/ml).

Density is a core property of hydraulic oils that impacts the performance of hydraulic equipment. Hydraulic fluids with higher density can allow contaminant suspension and removal. That way, they enhance the hydraulic system’s contamination control.

The density varies based on the type of hydraulic oil. For example, mineral-based hydraulic fluid density ranges from 0.8 to 0.9 g/ml. That means these fluids float on the water.

HYDRAULIC OIL VISCOSITY​

That is the single most significant characteristic of hydraulic oils. Viscosity represents the resistance of these fluids to temperature changes.

Hydraulic oil viscosity and temperature range are tightly connected. When the temperature increases, the oil viscosity plummets, and vice versa. Hydraulic oil viscosity is measured in Centistokes at 40°C and 100°C.
After checking the parts catalog and a few other websites, there is only one part number for all versions T5 —> T6.1

G060146A2​

The oil is supplied by the Pump and Ram manufacturers Power-Packer in the Netherlands to VW.

We have been having exceptionally hot summers over the past few years.

That's why I bought California Ocean T6 with a manually opening roof, fewer mechanical things, fewer problems. Maybe closing the roof electrically is more spectacular, but I don't care about that, you don't do it every day, it takes only about 3 minutes

Back