Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential safety issue with T6.1 Automatic Cruise Control

Just thought I would throw in my experiences of City braking on a T6. I've had it activate twice out of the blue. Once while filtering in heavy traffic, when it detected someone trying to push in from the offside, IMO, a wrong decision by the computer. The second occasion was while crossing a narrow intersection down a narrow country lane in the Cotswolds. It reacted to a vehicle coming the other way, leading to a rather frightening screech to a halt on Loose gravel. Me thinking, WTF ! It was scary. Another wrong decision by the computer.
I hope it works if I really need it !

Just thought I would throw in my experiences of City braking on a T6. I've had it activate twice out of the blue. Once while filtering in heavy traffic, when it detected someone trying to push in from the offside, IMO, a wrong decision by the computer. The second occasion was while crossing a narrow intersection down a narrow country lane in the Cotswolds. It reacted to a vehicle coming the other way, leading to a rather frightening screech to a halt on Loose gravel. Me thinking, WTF ! It was scary. Another wrong decision by the computer.
I hope it works if I really need it !
Mine has done it too, once on an empty road, and one at a cattle grid. A car behind would struggle to avoid hitting you.

Mine has done it too, once on an empty road, and one at a cattle grid. A car behind would struggle to avoid hitting you.
I agree, if you have a car close up behind you when it activates, in my experience it has had alot more potential to cause an accident rather than save and accident.

I've had difficulties with ACC, mostly it deactivates at the drop of a hat, anything from road dirt to mice chewing through cables, ice etc, but always a message to say "ACC Deactivated", I've never had an incident where it's continued to go chugging up to an obstacle in it's way.

I've also had the braking activate in alarming circumstances.

My own conclusion is it's a very helpful driving device that imparts a feeling of security and confidence but perhaps too much so and can lead to driver complacency in what is by no means a foolproof system.

I have City Braking and ACC. I think they are on the van as it was pre-spec'd rather than me doing a clean order so I had not really looked into either of them.
I must admit that I don't use ACC much at all, mostly just to see what it does, then turn it off again. I never was a fan of Cruise Control and this seems an extension of that, but with 'benefits'. The wife is keener than me about it from a safety perspective.
As for City Braking, I don't recall it coming on ever. So maybe I don't have it or I didn't turn it on if it needs to be?

As others have said, these are aids and not a replacement for driver responsibility. I do subscribe to the camp that says the more you automate the more complacent we become, but that is not say that advances in safety and reliability are not welcome.

I have City Braking and ACC. I think they are on the van as it was pre-spec'd rather than me doing a clean order so I had not really looked into either of them.
I must admit that I don't use ACC much at all, mostly just to see what it does, then turn it off again. I never was a fan of Cruise Control and this seems an extension of that, but with 'benefits'. The wife is keener than me about it from a safety perspective.
As for City Braking, I don't recall it coming on ever. So maybe I don't have it or I didn't turn it on if it needs to be?

As others have said, these are aids and not a replacement for driver responsibility. I do subscribe to the camp that says the more you automate the more complacent we become, but that is not say that advances in safety and reliability are not welcome.
I think if you have the Radar Sensor then you have City Braking. Whether it can be Turned Off/On I have no idea, but it only works below a certain spread, 18kph springs to mind.

I think if you have the Radar Sensor then you have City Braking. Whether it can be Turned Off/On I have no idea, but it only works below a certain spread, 18kph springs to mind.
I reckon you are right. I will go check it later. I cannot imagine testing it out though. Somehow when I drive the garage at home it does not brake before you hit the wall!!!

I reckon you are right. I will go check it later. I cannot imagine testing it out though. Somehow when I drive the garage at home it does not brake before you hit the wall!!!
On the T6 Forum some have tried testing with cardboard boxes, but it still seemed to be hit or miss. :Nailbiting

Hello,

I am a big fan of the ACC. It makes driving, at least on the motorway, more relaxing. I believe that in today's traffic a standard CC causes more problems, because there is always somebody in "the way".

I use ACC even on country lanes and had no problems as far as I can remember. Sometimes I think "how have the VW technician done this"!

Have I said that on country lanes (not motorway) I always leave my finger on che "cancel" button in case there is an error. One never knows... ;) .

City break confuses me more. I had the camper for a few month when I drove on the N7 towards Naas (a three lane carriageway, 100 km/h speed limit). I drove in the middle lane with 100 km/h as a car with high speed overtook me and moved from the third to the middle lane bang in front of me and slowed down considerably - that was so quick I didn't see it coming. The van did an emergency brake and so avoided an accident. But it did not stop completely just kept slowing the camper down until it reached the same speed as the car in front of me. What actually helped me ACC or City Break I don't know. But it helped.

But as somebody mentioned before, with ACC switched off in a very narrow country lane in Wicklow, a group of cyclist came towards me. OK, it was narrow, but not dangerous (I was not fast, at the end it was a narrow road). At that point the City Break kicked in and brought the camper to a standstill in a heartbeat. Gosh, the California has brilliant breaks. That I almost wet myself because it was so unexpected and dramatic is a different matter. Was it necessary - I think not. If there would have been a car behind me they would have run into me for sure.

But still I don't switch off the City Break and I will continue to use ACC, because under the line I think for me, they can do more good than bad. I just have to be more aware of them.

Happy controlled California,
Eberhard

On the T6 Forum some have tried testing with cardboard boxes, but it still seemed to be hit or miss. :Nailbiting
I think there needs to be some movement for the radar to act. A mum pushing a pram should work, but not a car park bollard. I haven't tested the former, but have a small dent to prove the latter.

It might work with a cardboard box as there might be some movement from wind.

@gleneagles , are you able to provide a bit more information such as:
1. what happens when you try and engage the ACC - below 20mph and above 20 mph
2. any errors that the system displays/error codes on screen?

On sensor calibration, any workshop that has the ADAS calibration equipment should be able to do it. The NCR Bodyshop near me has one and they are the ones who do my 4 wheel alignment.

View some videos on the thread on here - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/4-wheel-alignment-with-acc.11185/

If you are able to tell us more, then we should be able to help/guide.

edit - realised that one sentence was incomplete.
Thank you for your advice, I will now need to find an operator in Berkshire who can do the necessary.