Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential safety issue with T6.1 Automatic Cruise Control

It’s a shame when those that have genuinely tried to help have to suffer abuse.

It’s made even worse when some who have yet to write a single helpful post, join in with unhelpful comments criticising the quality of other posts.

There is a lot to be said for restricting those that are too tight to pay for membership to read only access for the majority of the site.

Last edited:
It’s made even worse when some who have yet to right a single helpful post, join in with unhelpful comments criticising the quality of other posts.

There is a lot to be said for restricting those that are too tight to pay for membership to read only access foe the majority of the site.
Off topic but I thought the benefits of Very Important Person membership were supposed to save members money? Are you suggesting that it doesn’t save you money?

Off topic but I thought the benefits of Very Important Person membership were supposed to save members money? Are you suggesting that it doesn’t save you money?
I'm not sure I follow your logic in this instance.

I didn’t join with the objective of saving money.

I joined back in the early years when it was just a small forum, the benefit then was the technical knowledge of the other posters, the discounts etc came along later. A few quid every year to support the forum that enabled that exchange of information is considered worthwhile.

If anything the forum has cost me lots of money, without it I wouldn’t have been aware of, let alone known where to buy anything made by Brandrup!

I joined back in the early years when it was just a small forum, the benefit then was the technical knowledge of the other posters, the discounts etc came along later.
So that rationale is not really relevant to users who join today then.
It’s tragic that people who’ve been here a long time, or choose to pay, think they have some sort of seniority or superiority over new members.
This particular storm in a tea cup is simply a misunderstanding.

I joined back in the early years when it was just a small forum, the benefit then was the technical knowledge of the other posters, the discounts etc came along later. A few quid every year to support the forum that enabled that exchange of information is considered worthwhile.

If anything the forum has cost me lots of money, without it I wouldn’t have been aware of, let alone known where to buy anything made by Brandrup!
Ditto on buying stuff @andyinluton :)

Given the choice I would have had ordinary Cruise control, I used to drive the old van on the motorway with it switched on using the steering wheel controls as a hand throttle.

I'm getting used to adaptive, & strangely find it of more use when stuck in one of those 35mph queues on an A road where it really is just following the car in front for miles.

What I really don't like is heavy rain turning the system off with the fault warning, if it only turned off the ACC I wouldn't mind, but I don't see why it should stop the speed limiter working.
Heavy rain - possible puddles, aquaplaning, where speed limiter could get misinformation and either shut power down or increase it with potential traction issue when out of water. It is recommended not to use standard cruise for that reason in heavy rain.

Heavy rain - possible puddles, aquaplaning, where speed limiter could get misinformation and either shut power down or increase it with potential traction issue when out of water. It is recommended not to use standard cruise for that reason in heavy rain.
Cruise - agree don’t use in heavy rain
Speed limiter - no reason for it not to work, doesn’t use radar etc. I just want it set at 50mph through the motorway roadworks to ensure I don’t exceed the speed limit. I will drive slower if needed. Would much prefer to be looking at what’s going on rather than staring at the speedo.

So that rationale is not really relevant to users who join today then.
It’s tragic that people who’ve been here a long time, or choose to pay, think they have some sort of seniority or superiority over new members.
This particular storm in a tea cup is simply a misunderstanding.
Absolutely.

Either the OP didn't state the fault clearly; or,
VW have replaced a perfectly good part.

Either way, I think the OP deserves some latitude for not understanding the wealth of expertise of some of the long time posters or who those long time posters are. That said, he was unnecessarily rude early on in the thread, and that led to the escalation.

For what it is worth, I did find that it took time for me to get used to some of the ACC's quirks.
1. The radar won't pick up stationary traffic unless it had picked it up before it became stationary
2. In very heavy rain or snow the radar can be completely knocked out
3. Using the indicator temporarily pauses the ACC

Driving in Romania, twice at exactly the same point, when using ACC, the emergency brakes came on without obvious cause.

A fairly small impact to the radar can completely knock out the radar and ACC until the radar is adjusted and recalibrated.

I may have understood ACC faster had I read the manual properly - but who does.

I'm not sure I follow your logic in this instance.
It was the suggestion by somebody that people who choose not to pay are too tight to pay. Clearly the benefits provided by membership are intended to save users money.
As an example, by not joining, and still using the club shop, non members who are not Very Important are contributing a 10% surcharge on all purchases, thereby supporting the wider economy, by not selfishly taking advantage of discounts on insurance etc.
It could indeed be argued that it is the Very Important people that are tight.

It was the suggestion by somebody that people who choose not to pay are too tight to pay. Clearly the benefits provided by membership are intended to save users money.
As an example, by not joining, and still using the club shop, non members who are not Very Important are contributing a 10% surcharge on all purchases, thereby supporting the wider economy, by not selfishly taking advantage of discounts on insurance etc.

I could also read the term "Paid up" as those members who have spent some time helping and answering other posts.

People such as @Loz who have spent a lot of time imparting technical knowledge in constructive and detailed responses to other members politely, and to my knowledge, never demeaningly,

You've forgotten who actually pays the running costs of the Forum, hardware, software, IT support etc. Also the other benefits such as the Resources section.

It’s made even worse when some who have yet to right a single helpful post, join in with unhelpful comments criticising the quality of other posts.

There is a lot to be said for restricting those that are too tight to pay for membership to read only access for the majority of the site.
'Right' ?? I think it's spelt 'write' in that context ! Only being helpful, I'm not trying to be superior, clever or patronising - honest !!

'Right' ?? I think it's spelt 'write' in that context ! Only being helpful, I'm not trying to be superior, clever or patronising - honest !!
Don't worry. We know exactly what you are. :thumb

Hello,

I was following the various posts, but as a reminder I had to read the original (and follow up) posts from the OP.

I also believe that simply a misunderstanding happened. It seems to me that that OP just wished to warn other T6.1 users about a potential issue with the ACC, an issue that he experienced on his camper.

I would have been also at leased "puzzled" reading all the following posts which would be different of what I would have expected. I am not saying that the replies were rude or something like this, but again different of what I expected.

But reading the 2x starting posts of the OP I feel they might be a bit misleading. It seems to me that there was an issue with the OP's ACC, which was addressed by his VW dealer. Good. But going to the next step and suggesting (I try to be careful here) that all T6.1 from 2020 onwards have the same issue (and at least have to be checked) is brave (I can't think of another word).

Of course this will trigger questions. So far I have not heard in any forums or web pages that there is a general issue of the T6.1 ACC system. If there would be a real safety issue there would be some information of this.

All those systems in cars (or in our case the California) are systems to support the driver and must be supervised at all times. I believe that it is seldom that they will fail on a technical basis, but the traffic or driving conditions can be so complex that there is a wrong reaction of those security systems.

Happy Secure California,
Eberhard

Sometimes, on a lucky day, you can't help but just keep reeling them in.......
Too true. I await your next knowledgeable and informative post. Maybe it will be of benefit to someone unlike the previous 431.

You guys... It was a simple post saying be aware that the ACC may have safety issues.

Heads up, nothing more. It got very analytical for the sake of it, but I believe the original message of the OP got across fine in just one post.

I want to thank @Buddy69 for raising awareness - it's important to keep people informed of potential risks. Too many people rely on ACC without thinking about the systems that are not ever 100% reliable.

Think we are drifting off topic now, right? Maybe it's time to close the thread?