Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power cable

They normally have 2 ratings printed on the spool. One for wound, one for unwound.

…but some people tend to ignore this and then wonder why the cable is very warm!
Some reels have 2 ratings, and some newer and larger models have a thermal cutout. In my experience most that are in common use have neither. The ’wound up’ safe rating for say a 25m reel with decent cable about 1.25mm2 cores is typically around 700 watts, so not a lot.
And when they catch fire, they really go up as the cable insulation plus drum is plastic.

Some reels have 2 ratings, and some newer and larger models have a thermal cutout. In my experience most that are in common use have neither. The ’wound up’ safe rating for say a 25m reel with decent cable about 1.25mm2 cores is typically around 700 watts, so not a lot.
And when they catch fire, they really go up as the cable insulation plus drum is plastic.
First time in my life I’ve seen a cable rated in Watts.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer good old Amps.

After trying all options: 10 + 15 and 25m, I only take 25m in zip-up bag in underseat drawer. I like a relaxed and minimum-faff trip.

Not i)worrying whether the site manager will object to joined up cable ii) in heavy downpour is IP44 "Protection against splash water from all directions" really enough (I think not), iii) should I go out and lift the junction off ground and cover (an act paradoxically putting you at greater risk).

The cable doesn't take up much space in simple coiled form, is straightforward to handle with a little care using purpose designed zip-up bag from camping website.

In practice, I seldom use it anyway. Not needing EHU will sometimes get you on a most lovely pitch or into a site otherwise full. We are mostly touring and the batteries will last two or three days between a longish drive.

To be fair to CAMC, site manager who spotted my joined cable let me use it but for couple of days only, but I had the 25m for the next visit.

Just get 25m, coil it consistently, relax and enjoy.

First time in my life I’ve seen a cable rated in Watts.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer good old Amps.
Watts (or kW) is quoted on spec sheets for many consumer products. When it comes to circuit breakers and fuses, yes it’s Amps. Many people don’t really understand how many Amps a device will draw, but the devices are ‘always’ stamped with the Wattage. But, if preferred, the maximum coiled up rating for a 25m cable reel is typically about 3 Amps.

Watts (or kW) is quoted on spec sheets for many consumer products. When it comes to circuit breakers and fuses, yes it’s Amps. Many people don’t really understand how many Amps a device will draw, but the devices are ‘always’ stamped with the Wattage. But, if preferred, the maximum coiled up rating for a 25m cable reel is typically about 3 Amps.
You’re talking to a qualified electrician by the way :thumb

Ah jolly good. So are you happy with the R1R2 of a 1.5mm2 on say a 16A mcb with regards to RCD speed? ;)

It’s just a lazy, cheap, nasty solution to a non existent problem…….just do it properly. Only my op obvs.
Our friends conversion has the under bonnet option and seem ok with it, but wouldn’t be my choice.

Ah jolly good. So are you happy with the R1R2 of a 1.5mm2 on say a 16A mcb with regards to RCD speed? ;)
Ha ha - If you’re talking about RCDs on sites - not at all - with the amount of times they get tripped and abused, who knows if they’ll work! ! :Nailbiting

People should be aware that cable reels like this are a fire risk,
What sort of people are you on about, its certainly not a fire risk
to me.
Even if it was, its okay cos I always have a bottle of water at the ready
to put a fire out.

What sort of people are you on about, its certainly not a fire risk
to me.
Even if it was, its okay cos I always have a bottle of water at the ready
to put a fire out.
To be honest, it was a good opportunity to remind folks that these reels - no matter what you use them for - are a potential source of fire.

The two occasions when they’ve caught fire on construction sites I had to do post incident investigations on, both were being used by experienced workers, and both happened at night or in meal breaks, when no one was paying attention. In one case, the damage to property was approx £10k and the whole effect had more like £50k of losses. The second was caught as the fire started, so just £2k of direct damage but the smoke contamination of the factory meant the overall losses in terms of evacuation and smoke clearance again were about £50 to £70k.

So, sorry to comment on your post, and I didn’t intend to cause alarm or promote negative feelings, but the hairs go up on my neck - and I’ve seen many being used on camp sites, as they’re so convenient. And to be fair, I’d use CO2 or powder on that type of fire. Water would not be good on an electrical fire.

So, sorry to comment on your post,
No, no.
Awareness is always good. Not needed here though :thumb

There are always muppets on construction sites that cannot be arsed to plug
into the main power and just piggyback from another lead, and another, not realising
that the leads are already almost maxed out.
High rise sites being a favourite, especially in winter.

Back