Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Power cable

A zipped bag is useful too. Not just to put the cable in, but also to lay over the steering wheel as a reminder to unplug before you drive off!

No one want to open the 1.5mmsq/2.5mmsq can of worms debate? Arctic cable perhaps?

How about the elusive Swiss plug adapter?
Let’s not!
Anyway, we all know the answer is….

No one want to open the 1.5mmsq/2.5mmsq can of worms debate? Arctic cable perhaps?

How about the elusive Swiss plug adapter?
No!

We've been there done that, the forum has only just recovered

only the engine temperature is always near melting point! :D
I'm joking! How did you manage to fit all that ? Would you have a chance to take a picture ?

As promised

NB Hook up is 15metres and ground sheet is 2.5 x 3.5 .
I believe that the felt jacket for the battery is not present in the T6.1 and so care is needed to shield the top of the battery against dislodging the terminal covers and an accidental short.

AD73C26C-BF99-4ED8-A35A-218692D546A7.jpeg7434FB2E-D480-492C-8F69-35623C8BC35A.jpeg28F9BE28-8DA6-4990-8A8B-E341713F494B.jpeg6A891EC1-131E-4258-81D1-A8413F109DE8.jpeg41CE78E2-DF80-4FA8-A852-2B05EE620BAD.jpeg7434FB2E-D480-492C-8F69-35623C8BC35A.jpegADEF93D8-3D5D-4240-A718-71AA8829E004.jpeg

3AA56A13-3851-4A57-BEA7-586723BA11CC.jpeg

Last edited:
We bought a 15 m and zippy bag from forum shop. Been adequate for nearly all sites and those that needed longer gave us the option of a 25m borrow or a different pitch. Never had a problem. Stored in boot, neat n tidy and doesn’t take up much space.
If booking sites we always ask ‘distance to hook up’… at some point may buy an additional 10 m ( probably to sit in the garage )

As promised

I believe that the felt jacket for the battery is not present in the T6.1 and so care is needed to shield the top of the battery against dislodging the terminal covers and an accidental short.

View attachment 101041View attachment 101045View attachment 101042View attachment 101043View attachment 101044View attachment 101045View attachment 101047

View attachment 101046
Thank you for going through the trouble of unpacking everything! I'm going to have to make better use of that space!

As promised

View attachment 101045
Carrots as well…. Impressive!

As promised

View attachment 101041View attachment 101045View attachment 101042View attachment 101043View attachment 101044View attachment 101045View attachment 101047

View attachment 101046

Now this is what I call inventive.
I dare anyone to find a better storage spot.

I found a huge opening thing at the back of the van I think its called a boot, it had loads of space & was clean in there. I don't get my hands filthy opening it either. I had assumed most people had found this space.

giphy.gif

I found a huge opening thing at the back of the van I think its called a boot, it had loads of space & was clean in there. I don't get my hands filthy opening it either. I had assumed most people had found this space.
Worth remembering that the variable servicing software uses the opening of the bonnet as a factor in calculating the next service date!

E8AE744F-4A29-41B2-ABAA-E4690EC69C2F.jpeg

Don’t get me started on “under-bonnet-hook-ups”:mute

Sorry, I am going to bite and I know I am going to regret it, but what is wrong with “under-bonnet hook-ups”?

Danish campsites requirer 2,5 square mm and not longer than 25 meters. European campsites are following up on the 2,5 sq.mm

Haha, our Beach came without the hookup so the installer (https://www.vw-t.co.uk/) gave us the choice of having it retrofitted in usual place on the body or under the bonnet. Under-bonnet option worked for us, as less likely to drive off whilst hooked up as we see bonnet open warning on the dash when bonnet is in the semi locked position, when ignition is switched on.

Fitting price was the same irrespective of location. Body mounting is a quick hole cut, anti corrosion, internal trim removed . Under bonnet is special bracket, cab trim also removed & longer cable run.

Also prefer the look of a clean body panel without a plastic flap, which can be a target to vandals. Some older vans (mainly non Calis due to age) have rust streaks / bubbling around fridge vent, water filler & hookup points.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am going to bite and I know I am going to regret it, but what is wrong with “under-bonnet hook-ups”?
It’s just a lazy, cheap, nasty solution to a non existent problem…….just do it properly. Only my op obvs.

People should be aware that cable reels like this are a fire risk, if left with cable wound on the spool and plugged in. The problem is the way cables are manufactured (twisted cores), and the electro-magnetic field effect, which causes heating within the cable bunch. I’ve had two of these catch fire on construction sites, and in one case it was supplying some power tool chargers, so not that heavily loaded. If you visit the HSE site you’ll find info sheets on this. This is why campsite wardens may not like/ allow them.

If you do use them, make sure that the cable in unwound, or use for short periods and not left unattended.

I managed to squeeze in around battery compartment
Hook up cable
Jump leads (just in case)
Ground sheet 4m x 4m
Wood block (to put under jack foot on soft/loose ground to spread load)
Door mat
Small Towel
Pack of nitrile gloves if a job is messy
And the bonnet shuts easily!!
You learn something new every day on this forum. Never even thought about using this space!

People should be aware that cable reels like this are a fire risk, if left with cable wound on the spool and plugged in. The problem is the way cables are manufactured (twisted cores), and the electro-magnetic field effect, which causes heating within the cable bunch. I’ve had two of these catch fire on construction sites, and in one case it was supplying some power tool chargers, so not that heavily loaded. If you visit the HSE site you’ll find info sheets on this. This is why campsite wardens may not like/ allow them.

If you do use them, make sure that the cable in unwound, or use for short periods and not left unattended.

They normally have 2 ratings printed on the spool. One for wound, one for unwound.

…but some people tend to ignore this and then wonder why the cable is very warm!

Back