Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Privacy glass / window tinting

B

Bubble

VIP Member
Hello again...

The next job on the list is the rear windows tinting as they aren't factory done. Anyone know what percent tint I should be aiming for? As close to factory if possible would be great.
Is it possible to tell that they tinting has been done after market?

Cheers

Have mine booked in on Monday with VW Milton Keynes for a dark smoke 15% tint. Will let you know the result when I collect on Weds

Cheers for that .. I'll be interested to know.
I've been quoted £ 180 for the work but not sure how that compares ? I'm not to £20 or £30 to receive a good job!

Thanks again

Got mine done by Madol in Cardiff £200. The second car I have had done and would recommend. The only difference you can see between factory and aftermarket is a slightly different effect between single and double glazed windows.

JC001 said:
Got mine done by Madol in Cardiff £200. The second car I have had done and would recommend. The only difference you can see between factory and aftermarket is a slightly different effect between single and double glazed windows.

Was that for all 6 rear windows..??

Hi

Is it worth writing home about with regards to the different effect between single & double glazed units or is it a case of you spot the difference because your aware of it?

Cheers

£200 for all rear windows. Difference between single and double glazed windows is very subtle. I wouldn't have noticed if the chap at Madol hadn't pointed it out. The double glazed windows look slightly more 'mirrored'.

Sounds like the way to go

Thanks for the advice

I've had tinting done on my mini mpv and its great ..they did a good job and hard them 3 times now ..the tint is classed as dark ,but can be seen out well in day and not to bad at night ...there does become a slight line around each window where I have the matrix dots ..this cannot be helped ,but looks fine ...it's helped with glare in the back and so helps a little with heat ingress ...

I think looking at my Cali privacy glass and my mpv tinting i think the tint should be a medium tint if u want closer to factory tint ...

Hi there,
Please Im trying to find relevant answer all over the web on the issue ,puting the black tint film on factory doubleglazed clear windows, on my lovely VW T4 Cali; I had run into the problem litle bit in different area but similar issue.... that it is not always recomended on buildings type of windows since one of the plate might get break from large heat temperatures. (http://www.tintingaustralia.com.au/wind ... tions.html it is in tha firs paragraph called: Dyed Window Tint Film) Is this a case for car windows as well? Has anyone put dark film on Calis double glazed windows and survived ;) the south Europe heat? please? Do you believe its save? Kind regards for all your comments. Erik :help

Hi

Not sure about south Europe heat! Managed south Brittany in France.. Got quite hot.. My glass was originally factory clear then I had it tinted to a limo tint. I've had no problems yet & to be honest the heat issue never crossed my mind.

Hope this helps

Bubble said:
. My glass was originally factory clear then I had it tinted to a limo tint.

Hope this helps

Bubble, please was your factory clear glass double-glazed ? Maybe I am just concern with thing I dont have to... :crazy but if I come accross some issue I am trying to do it right...

Yes the two rear side windows & tailgate are double glazed.

Hi All,
We had our van windows tinted a couple of weeks ago.
Once the chap found out that the windows are double glazed, he said he was worried about the windows cracking with the heat build up and recommended staying away from a full Limo tint!
I feel that as one of the rear quarter window has been fully blacked out for the last 20 years from the factory, I can't see it being a problem.
We opted for 20% ( 1 below Limo ). It has made it slightly darker inside, but feel more private.
The small single glazed window, gives a very different look compared too all the others.(can't be seen in this picture )Windowtint001_zpse4d4cd08.jpg

Attachments

• Windowtint001_zpse4d4cd08.jpg
    Windowtint001_zpse4d4cd08.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 4
Guys, thank you very much sharing your experience .... however which way to go now? ;-)
Bubble is using Black Limo tint film which I understand blocks most of the sunlight up to 95%... and he has experienced no problems so far...;

I feel that as one of the rear quarter window has been fully blacked out for the last 20 years from the factory, I can't see it being a problem.

I think that the difference in yours ( pabloalfa76 ) tinted glass is that each panel is tinted plus it was done in the factory by changing the color of glass ... but I think that applying film inside the car is different story… the sun ‚travels’ through the both glass plates than hits the film which sends 95% of sunlight and around 66% of sun heat back outdoor... which means the glass plates are heated twice ... as well as the air inside (or whatever they used to fill in the gap/space).

Imagine the car is sitting in parking lot with no air movement inside of the car ... than I assume that the glass plate which is inside must have much higher temperature... than the one outside...which might be cooled little bit by air movement…

Well I am not the expert on this matter .... just trying to figure out what to do... put the film or not... if yes maybe to go like you pabloalfa76 the level below Limo tinted... just to reduce the heat on inside glass plate... ;

pabloalfa76 please would you be so kind and send me the specification or the web link to the film you have used please?

Anyway I have addressed this question to official dealership here in Slovakia and I think they have forwarded it to Germany ;-) since I am the only one person probably ever coming up with this issue...;-) I will definitely post the statement once I get it… ;-)

erik

I have a small update on this issue, today I have found company experienced with double glazed windows in automobile industry and they said they have very rarely problem with cracking windows and they believe its caused by small imperfection of windows itself (probably from factory)... ; also they said ‚do not apply film on damaged windows even they have a small crack you can hardly see or feel under your fingers, especial in round corners...‘
The recommendation is not to use full limo tinted type of film but few levels bellow...; for example to use type Performer maximum no.15 ( here is the link: http://aswf.com/html/products/products_ ... ormer.html )

I hope it helps to other Cali funs not to make a costly mistake....
erik

Reactions: PJV
Hi

I am just going through the options on DTD which says Privacy glass is available £295

Cali SE 2013 Brochure says it comes Double Glazed and Privacy glass is not available.

Q. is the Double Glazed version already tinted?
Q. I would like dark tinting so how can I go about it without voiding any warranties?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Think it is a mistake in the 2013 brochure as priv glass is available in option packs. Best to speak with a dealer. It is such a popular option I can't believe they would drop it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

WE had our conservatory roof done with a company from Ipswich that also do cars, the roof is double glazed glass and facing south, not cracked yet !