Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Window tint

Thanks for replying. Just had mine done and the jury’s out on if I like or not? Just enquiring if any one out there has had gone through this and discoverd an alternative internal shade of film that prevents the two tone look and gets the tint the same all round the van?

Thanks for replying. Just had mine done and the jury’s out on if I like or not? Just enquiring if any one out there has had gone through this and discoverd an alternative internal shade of film that prevents the two tone look and gets the tint the same all round the van?
Can I risk a slight diversion to ask how much your tinting cost? (approx)

It was completed by an experienced (14 years + ) VW dealership recommended tinter. Not sure why cost is relevant?

It was completed by an experienced (14 years + ) VW dealership recommended tinter. Not sure why cost is relevant?
Because I'm want to get the work done to my van and wondered how much it might cost.....

I had a Ceramic Solar tint which was charged at £50 per window. Lifetime warranty and reduces heat as well as light.

Thanks for reply, did this sort the two tone effect? Any photos?

Either an external film or just order with single glazing instead of double glazing are the options for not showing this effect in certain light conditions.

I would suggest ordering with the factory tint & then adding a further layer internally would give the best looking result as the factory tint is in the external pane of the double glazing.

I don't know what the secret is but this is a T5SE parked next to my T6 Ocean in Lucerne last month.
I spoke to the owner (A nice German Guy) but he bought it like it.
I stood and looked from many angles before taking these pics as I stood between the 2 vehicles. I promise its not a trick of the light, the T5 was superbly done. Mine is the VW tint only not aftermarket additions (Yet) the window on the sliding door is open and the fly screen is in place.
His is obviously the kitchen side in the photo but looked the same all round.
Don't give up!!! there must be a way.
IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

I had a Ceramic Solar tint which was charged at £50 per window. Lifetime warranty and reduces heat as well as light.

@B J G Your tint looks really good. We were so impressed, we are booking our new Cali in with the same company this weekend.

Is it single glazed , if so thats the secret.
Dan you get single glazed rear windows on the Ocean?
I only know about the tail gate window change if you want it heated

Dan you get single glazed rear windows on the Ocean?
I only know about the tail gate window change if you want it heated
I was referring to the german spec SE and have no idea if they do single glazed option.

Exact same issue here - had aftermarket tinting done and the rear windows have a mirror effect from the outside, due to double glazing. Doesn’t actually bother me, and you could look at it that you have another useful mirror . Overall we’re very pleased with the balance struck between almost total privacy inside (during daylight obviously) and still having a decent view out.

My T5.1 had no option for double glazing.
Double glazing was standard, so I think the T5 was standard too.

I've got a heavy tint on our family car and enjoy the privacy that brings, however we hired a transporter conversion as a first campervan early this year which had a very dark tint, added to the pretty dark and gloomy feeling of the interior (which I find many conversions have) and we found it quite overpowering.

Subsequently we hired a new T6 California Ocean in August which had the green laminated glass and I loved the subtle tint it gave as it let in lots of light making the Cali feeling even more roomier a fact enhanced by the lighter interior too whilst offering some privacy.

I wouldve normally defaulted to a darker tint but it wasnt bad tbh.

Hi I read your post last year, I'm waiting on my new T6.1 Ocean (stuck at the docks in Emden at moment !!). I want a darker privacy tint and was interested in the ceramic solar tints you had. Are these external and who was the installer. Thanks.

Hi I read your post last year, I'm waiting on my new T6.1 Ocean (stuck at the docks in Emden at moment !!). I want a darker privacy tint and was interested in the ceramic solar tints you had. Are these external and who was the installer. Thanks.

Thanks, do you know of a UK installer, these guys are American. Thanks

its the same on my T4 with double glazing, no matter what you do inside its the same result as light goes thought the outer glass which is heat resisting with a great big painted surround and reflected off the inner glass, external tint is the only solution although getting it to match the inner tint on the none double glazed glass could be an issue.

Or if you'r like me, I just vinyl'd with same colour as the van over all the rear windows, can't see the point in having a window behind the wardrobe and all the rear windows are insulated semi permanent anyway, which just leaves the side door and half of the kitchen window looking stupid.

Mine are internal.
Dark on all rear glass and 2nd up in tint on the front doors also a dark sunstrip across windscreen top.

The film does get hot to touch in direct sunlight. Noticeable benefit when driving with sun on your door, no hot knees with shorts on. Also acts an insulator at night.
I reckon that the steel body panels transmit more heat than the glass now.

As an aside, I put external film on my Velux roof windows and that was far better than the internal film previously applied but did reduce the light more despite not having much of a tint, definitely not privacy spec.
I'd be reluctant to use external due to potential damage from road grit etc. on a vehicle.

Done here. Sit and wait job.

Mine are internal.
Dark on all rear glass and 2nd up in tint on the front doors also a dark sunstrip across windscreen top.

Hi, do you have an image of the sun strip as this is something I'm interested in?

Much appreciated.

Back