Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Professional Detailing and Ceramic Coating

samdb

samdb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've been thinking long and hard about bringing my T6 Cali back to a showroom finish after a hard winter and protecting the exterior for the longer term. My research has led me to a couple of detailers close to me (Berkshire) and these products:

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/protect/exterior/paint/
http://iglcoatings.com/kenzo/
https://www.kamikaze-collection.com/products

All of these provide a 5yr guarantee (the IGL coating is the hardest finish). Has anyone else considered treating their van to this kind of TLC? It's not an insignificant amount of money...

I've been thinking long and hard about bringing my T6 Cali back to a showroom finish after a hard winter and protecting the exterior for the longer term. My research has led me to a couple of detailers close to me (Berkshire) and these products:

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/protect/exterior/paint/
http://iglcoatings.com/kenzo/
https://www.kamikaze-collection.com/products

All of these provide a 5yr guarantee (the IGL coating is the hardest finish). Has anyone else considered treating their van to this kind of TLC? It's not an insignificant amount of money...

Lots have already taken the plunge. Gtechniq is well know and often gets good write ups. There are a few variations of materials but most claim to provide the same protection.

Almost every one I've spoken to suggest getting it done. One chap quoted that "nothing sticks to the paint work not even water!"

Thank you to both of the above. I was considering it and now have someone calling me back :D

I've been diligently washing my cali for the past 12 months, but have since learnt I've probably done more damage to the paint than if I'd left it. Here is a good example of the difference a good detailer makes.

DSC06773_zpsccdc1186.jpg

IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0159.JPG
We had our Cali professional detailed soon after delivery. He does maintenance safe wash/wax every 6 mths. Didn't have Gtechniq(just too expensive).

Have used Gtechniq smart fabric to protect the Alcantara seats. Good so far.

I have my bus in for a 4 day detail end of this month. Its 5 years old and needs some tlc.
I am very picky about how I wash the vehicle. Use the 2 bucket method and wash all my micro fibres after each clean and have separate mitts etc for certain tasks. Its all very boring, but does keep her looking well;)

Never ever take it to the local Polish/Albanian car wash and never ever let your local VW dealership touch it...!!!

Wash bucket, with grit grids
Dirty bucket, with grit grid.
Microfibre mitt to wash.
Microfibre for drying body work 3/4 half
Another for bottom section
Another for windows
Another for inside windows
Another for sills
Separate bucket and washing/drying gloves and fibre cloth for wheels
Another for interior.
etc
etc
etc

Basically lots of tackle. I wish it wasn't such a big vehicle :headbang
My wife says thinks im bonkers:D

It's spring so the birds are trying to detail our Cali as I write this.

We had both of our vans done with Autoglym Lifeshine when new. I can't honestly say if it was worth it because I just don't know. If you want to do this, then before you pay the dealer a King's ransom to do it, take a look on Ebay as you can often pick up these kits for a fraction of the cost. They don't include the elbow grease though.
Our SE is black :Nailbiting and I also use the two bucket method etc etc. So far, following this method has kept the paintwork looking like new. I never let anyone else near it. As for the birds, at this time of year I use a breathable cover otherwise it would be constantly covered in s#!+. I also give them a thorough waxing twice a year with AG high definition wax.

I don't know anything about this (and haven't always kept vehicles long enough to worry) - how much are we talking about for the full monty?

4-days residential sounds like big money!

I've been diligently washing my cali for the past 12 months, but have since learnt I've probably done more damage to the paint than if I'd left it. Here is a good example of the difference a good detailer makes.

DSC06773_zpsccdc1186.jpg

I guess I have to admit that after collection end of Oct 16 I've not washed her. Only a rinse off with my jet wash. I want to get it done but since this is my only vehicle I can't be without it for the 3-4 days they might need it. Dilemma.

I've been quoted 350 for a machine polish she may not need this, then the gtechiq added from a list of options. I probably choose paint work, glass and wheels the interior can fend for itself. No pets, kids or plants so no worries.
Looking at between 350-900ish for 5-7 years gurenteed.

..me..

Yup, I'm same ballpark. £800 for full works incl wheel and glass treatment. That's a professional clean, two-stage polish, compound coat and finish with IGL Kenzo for paint, and Gtechniq for wheels and glass. Some might say it's better off to do a lesser treatment more regularly, but I'd a) like to protect my investment as best I can, and b) make it easy to clean in the future.

I was quoted £800 plus 4 days off road.

I might invest in a new wash mitt instead :(

Had mine done from New without letting VW prep the vehicle at all as all this would have done is given the Detailer more work and cost me more.

Full clean inside and out, machine polish.
Gtechniq Crystal Serum
Gtechniq Exo v 3
Gtechniq C5 Wheel armour
Gtechniq il all interior (Alcantara seats)
Gtechniq L1

Left the Cali early morning and collected teatime next day.

I now wash it with a good quality mitt and two bucket method at a local garage which has a wash bay and lance.

Nothing sticks to it and it is almost a pleasure to wash.

Guaranteed 7years but Detailer reckoned with the Exo v 3 I will get 10.

I'll probably take it to him once a year for a checkover and valet for about £50. Required to validate the guarantee.

This thread shows it from post 120

Should never require polishing.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/phew-oops-b-r-hurray.13280/page-6

Mike

Did a 4 stage detail last week after washing . I used a clay mitt with DoDo juice lube first to remove the embedded contaminants, Meguiars paint cleaner to clean the paint and any residue from the claying, Meguiars ultimate polish finishing with Meguiars ultimate wax. Poorboys wheel sealant on the rims and Meguiars tyre treatment. Glass was done with Meguiars clear glass using good waffle microfibres. All done in about 5 hours and it looks like it just came out of the showroom. Lots of good microfibres and Foam applicators mixed in with good old elbow grease. I do this every spring and dirt just washes off. I top up with Meguiars ultimate detailing spray which adds to the wax and takes 15 minutes to do the whole vehicle. Worth the work IMHO and saves me a fortune paying someone to do a lesser job.

Last edited:
...and also decided to invest in a snow foam lance :thumb

The lengths we go to for our vans :talktothehand

I decent detail is around £150 per day.
Which is a fair price if done correctly. The vehicle does come back looking its best, but most of all it makes regular cleaning easier and less time consuming.
GTECH screen protect on the windscreen is amazing. You don't need wipers even in heavy rain

IMG_6467.JPG I'm quite pleased to hear others are as OCD on their californias. Like Rich20 I use quite a few meguiars products. There ultimate liquid wax is amazing. It does take me less than 20 mins to wax the Cali and its looks brilliant. You just put a thin coat on with a supplied pad. Let it dry and then buff off very easily with a supplied microfibre cloth.

I did the 1 year clean on mine last week.

I didn't clay it but did a 2 bucket wash, used some auto glym tar remover on to get off a few spots on the side, then used meguiars ultimate polish, meguiars ultimate wax. It took 3hrs start to finish and I think it looks better than new.

I had it cleaned by VW heritage in Bristol and it came back with lots of swirl marks which was annoying. The polish got those out though. I'll ask them not to clean it next time.

View attachment 20676 I'm quite pleased to hear others are as OCD on their californias. Like Rich20 I use quite a few meguiars products. There ultimate liquid wax is amazing. It does take me less than 20 mins to wax the Cali and its looks brilliant. You just put a thin coat on with a supplied pad. Let it dry and then buff off very easily with a supplied microfibre cloth.

I didn't clay it but did a 2 bucket wash, used some auto glym tar remover on to get off a few spots on the side, then used meguiars ultimate polish, meguiars ultimate wax. It took 3hrs start to finish and I think it looks better than new.

I had it cleaned by VW heritage in Bristol and it came back with lots of swirl marks which was annoying. The polish got those out though. I'll ask them not to clean it next time.
Looks great, when can you do mine?

Looks great, when can you do mine?
Ha! Well about a dozen people have said that to me in the past week.. you'll have to join the queue.

Seriously though it's so easy to do yourself. I have 2 young kids and not enough time to do anymore but I can't see honestly how it would be possible for it to be shinier!

View attachment 20676 I'm quite pleased to hear others are as OCD on their californias. Like Rich20 I use quite a few meguiars products. There ultimate liquid wax is amazing. It does take me less than 20 mins to wax the Cali and its looks brilliant. You just put a thin coat on with a supplied pad. Let it dry and then buff off very easily with a supplied microfibre cloth.

That looks great.
How come your wing mirrors aren't colour coded...??? I thought all Calis were?