Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Programmable feature with Carista?

Does your system show the pressures?
No. I was plagued by false tyre pressure loss warnings which were shown as 'right rear' in the main with very few 'front left' displayed.

When I looked with Carista it showed the errors as relating to specific wheel.
Errors cleared so can't relook.

I recall VW asking which wheel was shown when in for repair and them saying that it would show on fault log when I hadn't taken note prior to the first repair attempt.

No. I was plagued by false tyre pressure loss warnings which were shown as 'right rear' in the main with very few 'front left' displayed.

When I looked with Carista it showed the errors as relating to specific wheel.
Errors cleared so can't relook.

I recall VW asking which wheel was shown when in for repair and them saying that it would show on fault log when I hadn't taken note prior to the first repair attempt.
Ah, I see. Never had that problem with tyre pressures so never had to use Carista in that way.:thanks

Well today I had the service station do my MOT Oil and filter as well as check the ABS.

Of course as I set off for the service this morning after one week of more of the ABS etc warning lights coming on. No warning lights came on all the way to the dealership.

So vehicle sailed through MOT.
They took a look at any historical errors and up came the ABS. I did mention for them to check for it and the mechanic without even looking said it was probably a rear one as they are more prone to faults.
Lo and behold he was right when they stuck it on diagnostics it was the rear passenger side.
It will probably come back on at some point in which case I will probably replace both rear sensors.
They have numerous vehicles with the same problem so keep the parts in stock.
They also cleared the fault on the Cali so we will wait and see now.

Has anyone tried these settings:

Driver Assist​

Hill start assist disengagement​

Early / Normal / Late

Hill start assist activation threshold​

0 - 13 %

I sometimes find the Hill Start assist doesn't work. What is the standard VW setting? What would be the disadvantage of decreasing the threshold and making it disengage late?

Driver Assist​

Early / Normal / Late

0 - 13 %

I sometimes find the Hill Start assist doesn't work. What is the standard VW setting? What would be the disadvantage of decreasing the threshold and making it disengage late?
Anyone??

Driver Assist​

Early / Normal / Late

0 - 13 %

There are 2 factors with Hill Start.
1. Release Time
2. Brake Pedal Pressure on Stop.

All Carista does is alter the time the Hill Start is held after Foot Brake Release.

If the Foot Brake is not used with enough force on Stop to hold the vehicle on the incline without the Handbrake then when starting off using Hill Start the vehicle can roll when the Foot Brake is released.

There are 2 factors with Hill Start.
1. Release Time
2. Brake Pedal Pressure on Stop.

All Carista does is alter the time the Hill Start is held after Foot Brake Release.

If the Foot Brake is not used with enough force on Stop to hold the vehicle on the incline without the Handbrake then when starting off using Hill Start the vehicle can roll when the Foot Brake is released.
Thanks for this, I find it's not very sensitive on mild inclines so wondered about decreasing the incline activation threshold, I've got no idea what the default is.

Thanks for this, I find it's not very sensitive on mild inclines so wondered about decreasing the incline activation threshold, I've got no idea what the default is.

Mine works ok. I’ll check the reading when I next run Carista.

Mike

Mine works ok. I’ll check the reading when I next run Carista.

Mike
Thanks I asked VW they said there's nothing wrong. Then I spotted this on Carista so I wondered if it's worth trying to tweak it?

Thread Resurrection for new owners.

Carista can now monitor DPF soot levels and force a Regeneration if required.
Anything else new?

Are there any equivalent competition?

Anything else new?

Thanks WG.
Will do a check as a couple of short journeys over lockdown l, ll and lll interspersed by the odd long spin.
I find the Carista a great addition to my glovebox. Used it many times to reset airbag issue that VW were charging £80+ for every time. Especially useful as we also have a Polo and A3.

Anything else new?

OBDeleven can do this according to their forums.
Not tried it myself.

Anything else new?

HI
@WelshGas: I just received the carista (thanks for the hint) and had a quick look. Is it right that the carista app does not tell you anything about the amount of unwanted stuff that is in the dpf? You just start the regeneration before a longer journey when you think it might be necessary? Can you overdo it?
Or where do I have to look for it? (I havent entered into a pro version yet - maybe it shows then)
Thanks

HI
@WelshGas: I just received the carista (thanks for the hint) and had a quick look. Is it right that the carista app does not tell you anything about the amount of unwanted stuff that is in the dpf? You just start the regeneration before a longer journey when you think it might be necessary? Can you overdo it?
Or where do I have to look for it? (I havent entered into a pro version yet - maybe it shows then)
Thanks
@itguy Will demonstrates the DPF functions briefly in his latest YT vid

Might be useful?

Carista will show the soot level. You then have the option to start a Regen, or not. Carista says Regen not necessary if below 22gms soot level.

Last edited:
HI
Thanks
As shown in @Stu@rt s post. If there is insufficient “soot “ present you won’t have the option to start a Regeneration.

Great, thanks a lot !!!
I hope I dont have to have the bonnet open during regeneration .
But for which changes does the bonnet need to be open as mentioned in the video ?
Thanks

Never needed bonnet open for any changes done on my T6. Auto door locking, beeper tone/frequency for front and rear sensors. Now can tell if front or rear detecting something close.
Might be all different on T6.1??

The DPF regeneration does come with warnings of engine caatching fie etc. Better to try a high revs, when the engine is warm, and driving, few mins first!!

As shown in @Stu@rt s post. If there is insufficient “soot “ present you won’t have the option to start a Regeneration.
You can start a Regen with any soot level by Carista, it does advise that it isn't necessary at lower levels.

Carista has a 2 stage operation
selecting Regen comes up with a soot level figure with instructions how to do a Regen operation, Engine speed etc and expected time to complete.
At this point you have the option to Start a Regen or simply back out of the Regen option. If starting a Regen you must drive immediately.

Best to do a check after a drive as a cold engine will give high figures. Engine must have been run (ning) to obtain a figure. Live data displayed.

You can start a Regen with any soot level by Carista, it does advise that it isn't necessary at lower levels.

Carista has a 2 stage operation
selecting Regen comes up with a soot level figure with instructions how to do a Regen operation, Engine speed etc and expected time to complete.
At this point you have the option to Start a Regen or simply back out of the Regen option. If starting a Regen you must drive immediately.

Best to do a check after a drive as a cold engine will give high figures. Engine must have been run (ning) to obtain a figure. Live data displayed.
Thanks
Why would you initiate a DPF regen?
Why not just let it happen automatically?

Thanks
The best time to have a regen is whilst you are driving. If you do lots of short journeys sods law states that a regen will start just before you get home & switch off the engine, interrupting the regen is what causes problems.

If you can force a regen at a point where you know you are going to be driving for the next half hour it makes to do so.

Thanks
If doing short runs normal Regen may not clear soot level. A known problem.
VW recommend a 1/2 hr run Monthly if only doing short trips.
Forced Regen is only if high soot build up in the DPF is found.

Having tried the Regen by Carista process it is a much more than the normal Regen process.

The Orange/yellow dash light comes on and the Regen runs for up to 30 mins before the light goes off.

My suggestion is to do a Regen (if required) in combination with a holiday or trip that is over 35 mins to save on fuel and time costs. remember engine needs to run in the 2,000 to 2,500RPM range constantly throughout the Regen. Dual Carriageway or Motorway off peak.

If doing short runs normal Regen may not clear soot level. A known problem.
VW recommend a 1/2 hr run Monthly if only doing short trips.
Forced Regen is only if high soot build up in the DPF is found.

Having tried the Regen by Carista process it is a much more than the normal Regen process.

The Orange/yellow dash light comes on and the Regen runs for up to 30 mins before the light goes off.

My suggestion is to do a Regen (if required) in combination with a holiday or trip that is over 35 mins to save on fuel and time costs. remember engine needs to run in the 2,000 to 2,500RPM range constantly throughout the Regen. Dual Carriageway or Motorway off peak.
Thank you.
Do you leave your Carista plugged in permanently and check soot levels (and other things?) via the app occasionally?
Can Carista alert you to the need for a regen without necessarily looking?

Thank you.
Do you leave your Carista plugged in permanently and check soot levels (and other things?) via the app occasionally?
Can Carista alert you to the need for a regen without necessarily looking?
No. Carista just plugged on a check basis or before a service for any error codes.

It won't warn you of any problems, you have go through the menu for any specific info.

Cali will give DPF Emissions warning if a fault occurs.

Back