Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Programming key to open winows

jeff

jeff

Home is where you park it !
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi does anyone know if it is possible to program key to open and close Windows on a 2008 California.

Not sure but I had an Octavia of that year and it was standard on that. I'm assuming the electrics would be similar on all VW products.

Thanks. it works if you put the key in the door so hopefully just needs programming in to key fob .

Have you tried holding the open or closed button on the key fob after the door buttons have moved for a few seconds longer ?

Have you tried holding the open or closed button on the key fob after the door buttons have moved for a few seconds longer ?
Yes tried that doesn't work, got a golf 55 plate with it on . That's why I wondered if it was just the case of getting it programmed.

Have a look in the manual. There's a bit in there somewhere about resetting it. Worth a try.

You probably need to calibrate the windows. Do they just stop when you let go of the button? This means it doesnt know where the top and bottom is.

I can't remember but I think you need to wind it all the way down, hold the down for 5 seconds after it reaches the bottom, then put all the way up and hold for another 5 seconds once it reaches the top.

I had trouble doing mine at first, but wetting the windows seemed to help (it was raining)

Last edited:
You probably need to calibrate the windows. Do they just stop when you let go of the button? This means it doesnt know where the top and bottom is.

I can't remember but I think you need to wind it all the way down, hold the down for 5 seconds after it reaches the bottom, then put all the way up and hold for another 5 seconds once it reaches the top.

I had trouble doing mine at first, but wetting the windows seemed to help (it was raining)
I think the OP is referring to a different function. Opening or Closing Windows using Remote.
This is a function that can be enabled via VCDS or using the Clarista dongle and Clarista App.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/

It may be changeable using VCDS (Vagcom), I can't remember if it is possible on a 2008 but it is on a 2010 & 2013 T5.1 as I have changed mine.

On the subject, I have mine switched off for the following reason. The van 'lives' outside the house, the keys 'live' in my pocket. If I bend or squat down I often press the buttons on the key fob, yes it unlocks but then re-locks if a door is not opened but if the windows open they don't automatically re-close. Result, WET SEATS and an insecure van!!
Exactly the same happened to a friend with a Golf, he thought it was a fault and even the dealers didn't work out why he often found the windows wound down but it turned out to be the same reason as mine.

Food for thought before you change the operation of yours.

Rod

Ba
It may be changeable using VCDS (Vagcom), I can't remember if it is possible on a 2008 but it is on a 2010 & 2013 T5.1 as I have changed mine.

On the subject, I have mine switched off for the following reason. The van 'lives' outside the house, the keys 'live' in my pocket. If I bend or squat down I often press the buttons on the key fob, yes it unlocks but then re-locks if a door is not opened but if the windows open they don't automatically re-close. Result, WET SEATS and an insecure van!!
Exactly the same happened to a friend with a Golf, he thought it was a fault and even the dealers didn't work out why he often found the windows wound down but it turned out to be the same reason as mine.

Food for thought before you change the operation of yours.

Rod
Baggy trousers might help.:D

I think the OP is referring to a different function. Opening or Closing Windows using Remote.
This is a function that can be enabled via VCDS or using the Clarista dongle and Clarista App.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/
This should be on by default, but works only when the windows are calibrated. With my van once I calibrated the windows it just worked.

Plenty of users about who can access via Carista or similar around if its disabled. :)

Back