Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Propane/Butane..other questions

D

DirkSquareJaw

VIP Member
Well Folks,

we got our Cali last Sat. Very excited and now reading manuals etc.

The manual states that only Butane (Gaz) 907 should be used.In direct opposition to this my father inlaw has insisted that we get Propane. Also,being an avid expedition type guy i have always used jet boils,wood fire and various other small expedition units. I therefore have no idea about the connection of this gas systems,how easy it is and wether its worth getting a camp store to fit it just for the first time.

Water tank fill and empty.
How easy is it to drain as we need to sterlize..looks fairly staight forward but would appreciate any advice from experienced owners. Pressume the waste tank just drains onto the floor?

Finally, are there any other bits of advice for a total noob...i want to do this right .Hook up and all that jazz - clueless. :help

Cheers

Dan

ps what other bits would you not do without. Topper,attached awning...etc

We caravan as well as use the Cali.
We always use propane with the caravan; once you start getting below +7 centigrade butane boil-off rates start dropping rapidly meaning before you get to zero centigrade you have no gas.
Propane continues to boil-off well below freezing.
I have never understood why VW use butane for a vehicle that gets used in consistently very low temperatures. The only benefit CampingGaz has is that it is readily available all over the continent.
I have a feeling that in Germany you can possibly get a cylinder similar in size to a 907 filled with propane.
Does anybody know?

There is a lever next to the gas bottle lid that you turn to drain the fresh water .I would charge your leisure batteries via the hookup one a month

I always used propane, high mountains, cold temperatures.

So far I have had Albert out only twice where temperatures were near zero and no problems. The gas bottle is enclosed within the, presumably, heated interior of the vehicle unlike with a caravan where it is stored in an unheated external locker.

I would presume that as long as the internal temperature of the vehicle is kept to a minimum of 4degrees C there should be no retardation of pressurisation.

I remain sceptical.

GrannyJen, I generally except what you say regarding caravan lockers but like a lot of modern caravans my locker is not an external locker and is insulated. It's location is no different to that of a Cali and remember that whilst located within the confines of the water tank giving it a degree of protection from the outside it is also doing the same and protecting it from the inside environment.

I'm interested in you cooking with Propane, is this inside Albert and do you have a bottle which fits in and replaces the 907 Butane bottle? By choice I would always have Propane.

With Albert I am reliant on the 907 Gaz, butane, This is my first experience of butane.

You have also reminded me of the venerable age of my last caravan :D

Memory sometimes telescopes time and it was 12 years old when it left me to make room for Albert :)

Campingaz 907 can be filled with butane only. As far you keep the interior heated it is ok.
For using propane you need to change a safety valve first (for a different pressure) and find a right, probably ALU bottle.
There is a mess of different standards, monopols and rules all over EU and there is no single universal solution. I use this 2 kg setup and I am really happy about it:
http://ekopool.si/en/2kg-aluminium-lpg- ... gok-valve/

It looks like this:

You can order the bottle and valve on-line, but check first with your local gas station if is it possible to fill it.

Regards,
Bostjan

P1080591.JPG

bvirc said:
Campingaz 907 can be filled with butane only. As far you keep the interior heated it is ok.
For using propane you need to change a safety valve first (for a different pressure) and find a right, probably ALU bottle.
There is a mess of different standards, monopols and rules all over EU and there is no single universal solution. I use this 2 kg setup and I am really happy about it:
http://ekopool.si/en/2kg-aluminium-lpg- ... gok-valve/

It looks like this:

You can order the bottle and valve on-line, but check first with your local gas station if is it possible to fill it.

Regards,

Bostjan

If you change the gas you are using, do you need to change the burners on the hob too?

Alan

Of course not!
My ALU propane bottle fits even with the existing valve, but for the safety reason I changed it with the proper GOK propane safety valve.

bvirc
I like the idea but as you say need to check the re-filling.
Did you order from the UK and they sent or did you collect on your travels?
Cost of cylinder?

I live in Slovenia and it is available here, I've paid around 100 EUR for it.
Check the link - they deliver all over EU.
Regards,
Bostjan

Back