Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Protecting the runners and mats

P

PurpleLizC789

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Having just bought our first Ocean, we're now thinking about mats and I know there are already endless threads on here about mats. However, my question is not just about which mats are worthwhile - I wanted to ask what people think about protecting the runners for the downstairs bed.

Do people find that over time dirt gets into the runners and causes a problem?

I was thinking of getting a removable mat or mats that would actually cover over the runners to protect them. However, if I look at all the threads on mats, it seems more common to have mats that are permanently stuck down and are cut around the runners.

We have specced the wood effect floor as I thought that, as well as looking nice, the smooth surface is also really easy to sweep clean regularly so it seems slightly silly to cover it all up with a mat. On the other hand, having started camping in the winter now, it's very cold! So I'

I thought a compromise would be the 2-piece campervan carpets mats where we could just pick one up to roll out the bed or bench drawer and could choose whether or not to have them in place in the summer. These would also go over and protect the runners. However, my other half is not convinced and thinks they will move around and it will be a pain to keep moving them. We have a portapotti permanently behind the drivers seat so it does make it difficult to know where to put the mat that you lift up.

These are perfect, colour / stripe nicely matches doors, they are rubberised so non slip and even machine washable although I haven’t tried1700906524566.png
1700906524566.png

I have even put them in the rear, on floor and also shelf and cut two to shape as driver and passenger floor mats, all matched up and no mucking up those stupid light grey carpets

Thanks for those tips - does that mean you are in favour of covering over the runners to keep out dirt too?

Thanks for those tips - does that mean you are in favour of covering over the runners to keep out dirt too?
Unless you plan on pouring buckets of sand into the runners, with normal use you will never have a problem.
If you understand how the bench sliding system works you can see it is extremely unlikely to ever have a problem.

Unless you plan on pouring buckets of sand into the runners, with normal use you will never have a problem.
If you understand how the bench sliding system works you can see it is extremely unlikely to ever have a problem.
Second this. I often do have bucketloads of sand and never had a problem. I vacuum no more frequently than most. I like not having to worry about moving the carpet

How would I best go about learning how the runner system works, please?

How would I best go about learning how the runner system works, please?
The bench seat runs on wheels that roll along the aluminium covers of the rails.
The locking mechanism is a T shaped bar that runs through the centre gap of the rails with the T piece below the lips of the rail. The T piece cross piece engages with slots on the underside of the rail lip. When moving the seat pulling on the lever pushes the T piece down disengaging it from the slots on the rail. Roll the seat forwards or backwards and then releasing the lever allows the T piece to re-engage with the rail slots locking in place.
452885800.png

Last edited:
We have two 'turtle mats'. Have lots in house too. We have two labradors. In van mats are under sized and easy to pick up, shake out, adapt to time of year. They cover the runners a bit. we've had van five years and no trouble. Dogs and campsites are grubby. Mats go in washing machine i like mats any way. Bit cosier. We have wood effect floor. Turtle might be expensive but you get what you pay for?

Having just bought our first Ocean, we're now thinking about mats and I know there are already endless threads on here about mats. However, my question is not just about which mats are worthwhile - I wanted to ask what people think about protecting the runners for the downstairs bed.

Do people find that over time dirt gets into the runners and causes a problem?

I was thinking of getting a removable mat or mats that would actually cover over the runners to protect them. However, if I look at all the threads on mats, it seems more common to have mats that are permanently stuck down and are cut around the runners.

We have specced the wood effect floor as I thought that, as well as looking nice, the smooth surface is also really easy to sweep clean regularly so it seems slightly silly to cover it all up with a mat. On the other hand, having started camping in the winter now, it's very cold! So I'

I thought a compromise would be the 2-piece campervan carpets mats where we could just pick one up to roll out the bed or bench drawer and could choose whether or not to have them in place in the summer. These would also go over and protect the runners. However, my other half is not convinced and thinks they will move around and it will be a pain to keep moving them. We have a portapotti permanently behind the drivers seat so it does make it difficult to know where to put the mat that you lift up.

I have cut carpet tiles and place then between the channels. The seats and bench move over them and they can be removed individually to clean. I have an additional mat from Dunelm which I put over the channels and carpet at the side entrance area behind the drivers seat just to absorb the damp from shoes as I get in.

1700992041727.png

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I can stop worrying about the runners then and otherwise it’s just a matter of preference on whether you have something removable to wash and/or shake out or permanent so it doesn’t have to be removed to pull the bed out. Lots of choices to consider there.

I've seen a few people on the forum mention that they get offcuts from a carpet shop which are really cost effective and very good quality. Does anyone know what the optimum dimensions would be if you wanted to cover all the floor area?

I've seen a few people on the forum mention that they get offcuts from a carpet shop which are really cost effective and very good quality. Does anyone know what the optimum dimensions would be if you wanted to cover all the floor area?
Whatever you get don't get thick pile carpet as you will have difficulty moving the bench seat or bench drawer .

COSTCO, cheap as chips!
Cover the seat runner's. Draw pulls out over them. Easy to move to the front when moving the bed forward. Double thickness when sitting on the porter lottie at night. Washable with a power wash. Easy to shake and keep clean when on tour. £11, sorted!

20231126_104435.jpg

The bench seat runs on wheels that roll along the aluminium covers of the rails.
The locking mechanism is a T shaped bar that runs through the centre gap of the rails with the T piece below the lips of the rail. The T piece cross piece engages with slots on the underside of the rail lip. When moving the seat pulling on the lever pushes the T piece down disengaging it from the slots on the rail. Roll the seat forwards or backwards and then releasing the lever allows the T piece to re-engage with the rail slots locking in place.
View attachment 116728

Got it! So the wheels run on the top of the rail, which is easy to keep clean, and only the locking mechanism is under the floor level. Hence sand in the groove doesn’t stop the wheels from rolling. Clever! Thank you so much.

I was like the OP worried that the wheels would stick in debris inside the grooves.

Got it! So the wheels run on the top of the rail, which is easy to keep clean, and only the locking mechanism is under the floor level. Hence sand in the groove doesn’t stop the wheels from rolling. Clever! Thank you so much.

I was like the OP worried that the wheels would stick in debris inside the grooves.
If anybody is really, really concerned then you can get Crevis tools to plug into a vacuum cleaner nozzle.
IMG_2271.jpeg

The fact that they run on the track is the only problem with my use of carpet tiles between the tracks sometimes they move to one side and they need to be repositioned to move the seat but easy to do. What I find more of a problem is I put something in the space under the seat and forget it is there when I try to move a seat. Not a problem with a bench as the stuff is in a draw. Also not a problem for those who do not have the extra seats.

I completely agree with @WelshGas that there really is no reason at all to worry about any problems arising from dirt that would get into the runners. Unless you have kids that drop stones, lego or coins into the runners, you really have nothing to worry about. We have small kids and never had a problem.

I would advise you choose a mat that has space/cutouts for the runners, unless you hardly ever move the lower bed/bench. If you do move it regularly (while camping) it's easiest to not have to remove or fold up a mat each time. Although that's not a huge effort either. Just make sure you get a mat that you can clean easily with a vacuum or brush.

Dunelm mat, fold it in half when we make the bed up, stick it in the washing machine when we get home.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk