Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Proud new owner (almost)

Gregc

Gregc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
After over a year sitting mostly in the background reading all your posts. I have today finally ordered a new 180dsg 4Motion from SMG at Tonbridge. I would like to thank everyone for all the invaluable information I have had access to. I don’t know how I would even begin to understand the intricacies and the implications of owning such a complex vehicle without this forum. Thanks also to Laine for going through all the options with me and for the test drive. Now the long wait begins! Due to work commitments delivery wont be until the start of September so plenty of time for checking out all those after market extras. I can’t believe I am actually gong to own something I have been dreaming of for so long.

:thanks :thanks

:hello I remember the great feeling or excitement mixed with pure fear I felt the day I order my baby, if it helps I have never regretted it for a single second. Don't fancy your long wait though :?

Congratulations

Steve

Colour was the hardest choice of all. Was tempted by the Blackberry but chickened out and went for the natural grey. Laine at SMG mentioned it will be a year 15 model with a couple of changes. From what I can remember the tyre pressure light is going to be standard equipment and there is an option of an external shower (cold water only) at the rear.

Congratulations!!

Fabulous! As is the vehicle.

Are you a twitcher?

GrannyJen said:
Congratulations!!

Fabulous! As is the vehicle.

Are you a twitcher?

Hi, My great love is photography. Especially wildlife (including birds) and motor sport. The van, as well as for holidays and trips out is going to be used as a camera bag/hide/mobile studio.

My avatar pic was taken of me by a friend whilst i was taking this shot;
2056715321_341deb7759.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregcullen/sets/

I never knew that you had met my Father in law!

Lovely, really lovely, and what a perfect vehicle the Cali is for that, able to get off the beaten track, allows you to choose the time as you can just stop for as long as you like, totally self-contained in even the most remotest of spots just waiting for that awesome photo opportunity.

Lovely. You really must have to share where you have been and captured what on camera. I look forward to hearing more.

I was going for natural grey but chickened out and went for blackberry ( wife ) the waits gonna be hell :clap

I see what you mean about the wait. I found myself checking how many days it will be. What with that and the rechecking of my order form to make sure it's right, this might just drive me mad. Not that I'm one hundred percent sure what I have coming. The VW brochures seem to have been translated from German to English by someone who speaks neither language.

My how time flies......... Off to the dealers to hand over the readies, and see my van for the first time tomorrow.

Gregc said:
My how time flies......... Off to the dealers to hand over the readies, and see my van for the first time tomorrow.

Goosebumps....... :smile

Brilliant. Happy days ahead. Enjoy your new purchase... I love mine.

My eldest son blocking the view of my new toy. The next couple of weeks are going to seem like a lifetime.

ezezaves.jpg

When did you order your van? We ordered our SE on 14th May. We heard it was at a port in Germany on 30th July waiting to be shipped to Grimsby. Obviously we're hoping to be able to drive it off the forecourt on 1st September, but our dealer can't promise that it will be ready in time ...

Were you expecting darker alloys? I ordered the same as you 180dsg 4motion natural grey with cascavel anthracite alloys. Looks like they have introduced a new cascavel alloy and named it anthracite and the one I wanted is now called cascavel black.

Do you know how long it took the van to go from dockside in Germany to the dealer? Is one month too optimistic??

I think I did expect them to be a bit darker. However they look really good with the grey paint on the van so I'm more than happy with them.

Update: Heard from the dealer that our Cali has arrived in UK and departure on hols 1st September is "promising" ...

skip.lesion said:
Update: Heard from the dealer that our Cali has arrived in UK and departure on hols 1st September is "promising" ...

Great news. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Hi Greg, sorry to jump on your thread but I have just noticed (on another page) that your order spec list includes 17" Cascavel anthracite wheels and winter tyres. Did your Cali arrive with this combination as ordered? I have chosen the same wheels and wanted the winter tyres but when my dealer tried to order them, the winter tyres were "blacked out" on the options list as soon as he ticked the box for Cascavel wheels. He could only specify the winter tyres on the Thunder alloys so I had to go with the Cascavels on the standard tyres. This isn't the end of the world but a bit of a faff and I am just curious to know if you successfully ordered both... I can't tell which tyres you have from the photo on here but I do like the wheels :D

:thanks
Maud

Hi. Yep that's how it came. I was going to get 18" wheels but that wasn't available with the storage net/additional seat draw.

Gregc said:
Hi. Yep that's how it came. I was going to get 18" wheels but that wasn't available with the storage net/additional seat draw.

What led you to this option? Are you using these tyres all year round? What your experience of them so far? The good/the bad?

Thanks

ps strange either/or with VW - how can wheel choice possibly affect storage net/seat draw