Pub stopover - Chilterns

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
As it's not a britstop i will name it:

It's the cock and rabbit, somewhere between Great Missenden and Aylesbury, a little village called Lee.

http://graziemille.co.uk

Approaching it in the dark before 6pm it's quite hard to find as it does not open until 6pm. However it's on a corner so if Sat Nav is indicating straight ahead and you have just turned a corner then you are there.

The car park entrance is quite narrow and easy to miss and the car park is unsurfaced giving a run-down feeling, especially in the dark.

It's not actually a pub, it's a restaurant with a very small public bar, filled with locals and giving a private club feel to it.

The restaurant is lovely. The food, authentic Italian. The portions huge, prices reasonable, proprietors helpful and friendly. I was made to feel very welcome, my camper attracting interest. However the best welcome was yet to come. I had been terribly good, only one glass of wine all night, was feeling terribly smug with myself as I finished my delightful plate of pasta in a lime yoghurt, thyme, wild garlic sauce drizzled with black truffle oil .... omg it was to die for ...... and was preparing to make my sober and weary way back to Alfie.

"Come and join us in the bar" said landlady. Well, with that invitation it would be rude not to. The "locals" were great. Really great. Very soon my incredible discipline of "only one glass" was being severely tested as "would you like a drink?" was asked from more than one "local". Of course duty above self, I would be letting the camper van sorority and fraternity down if I refused,

I have a very vague recollection of returning to Alfie last night :sad Fortunately I managed to just remember this morning that I had agreed with my new-found friend Clare that I was going to join her on a dog walk this morning.

A lovely evening. Being a solo traveller can sometimes be a lonely affair but this place brightened my life up. Highly recommended.

Only one glass discipline eh?? eh??
Sounds Lovely.

Only one glass discipline eh?? eh??
Sounds Lovely.

To be honest I had a headache, why the "only one glass" .... :(

I was going home from Macclesfield, was on the M40, just couldn't face Friday night rush hour on the M25 so pulled into a services and did a quick check on searchforsites.

It's what makes a camper so special. Just being able to say "I've had enough" and knowing that somewhere will be found to atop overnight.

sounds fun, love the idea of lime yogurt pasta with herbs. must have a go at making some. as to the wine, I would be save enough as I hate the stuff. F

As it's not a britstop i will name it:

It's the cock and rabbit, somewhere between Great Missenden and Aylesbury, a little village called Lee.

http://graziemille.co.uk

Approaching it in the dark before 6pm it's quite hard to find as it does not open until 6pm. However it's on a corner so if Sat Nav is indicating straight ahead and you have just turned a corner then you are there.

The car park entrance is quite narrow and easy to miss and the car park is unsurfaced giving a run-down feeling, especially in the dark.

It's not actually a pub, it's a restaurant with a very small public bar, filled with locals and giving a private club feel to it.

The restaurant is lovely. The food, authentic Italian. The portions huge, prices reasonable, proprietors helpful and friendly. I was made to feel very welcome, my camper attracting interest. However the best welcome was yet to come. I had been terribly good, only one glass of wine all night, was feeling terribly smug with myself as I finished my delightful plate of pasta in a lime yoghurt, thyme, wild garlic sauce drizzled with black truffle oil .... omg it was to die for ...... and was preparing to make my sober and weary way back to Alfie.

"Come and join us in the bar" said landlady. Well, with that invitation it would be rude not to. The "locals" were great. Really great. Very soon my incredible discipline of "only one glass" was being severely tested as "would you like a drink?" was asked from more than one "local". Of course duty above self, I would be letting the camper van sorority and fraternity down if I refused,

I have a very vague recollection of returning to Alfie last night :sad Fortunately I managed to just remember this morning that I had agreed with my new-found friend Clare that I was going to join her on a dog walk this morning.

A lovely evening. Being a solo traveller can sometimes be a lonely affair but this place brightened my life up. Highly recommended.
Sounds like a great night. You did the right thing by accepting they’re invitation to join them for a drink. Wonderful travels!