Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pucer pop top roof cover

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Just got one of these partly because we have two little ones who sleep upstairs and we didn't want to freeze them! Also keen to keep the canvas dry-ish if possible.

Looks well made and comes with a HUGE bungee to fasten it at the back of the roof. Fitting it is straightforward - slide it behind the metal side struts from the front (using a hand to guide the trailing edge helps it not snag the metal bits), pull it tight, fix with a bungee. I'm glad I tried it first because the one supplied is way too long - luckily I have a set of them so used two very small ones instead to pull it tight.

The fit is pretty good but as it's more or less held up by itself, the top front does stick out slightly - I'm hoping it won't let rain in. Will update once we've tried it out this weekend but here are a few pics:

P1010815.jpg

P1010816.jpg

P1010814.jpg

Nice pics Matt, mine does the same at the front, I am not sure why they put a flap up there?

Thanks Matt. That is great. I would love to hear more.
Martin? How much water / weather proofing does it give to the canvas?
Luke

We have used it in quite heavy rain at times and I have only had the odd dribble come in via the top front flap but nothing to write home about, I think the only time it could fail slightly is if the rain was blowing at the roof horizontally .

Thanks very much? On the back of this review, I see this being my choice of 'overcoat' for the roof.
Luke

Well the kids are sound asleep at this excellent campsite in the New Forest. Really was warm up there when we put them to bed and its only 9 degrees outside!

Excellent product.

Hi where are you in the New Forest, we are here tomorrow night after a wedding! Would love to see your Pucer.
DSG 180 grey bought a few weeks ago, recently bought Kamper cosi and used for 2 nights.

Hi Isa, sorry for the slow reply - been at a wedding all day! We are staying in Holland Wood near Lyndhurst. Very nice place! Went for a trail run earlier, got completely lost, did 6 miles instead of the intended 3-4. Oops!!

So three nights in often foul conditions and IMO the Pucer was an essential extra. The canvas stayed dry and the kids stayed warm. The top wasn't as warm as the bottom more because of the design of the van but I do think the Pucer cover helped immensely.

For me the ease of fitting, compact storage size, insulation properties and ability to use it with roof bars make it a great purchase. :thumb

Brilliant idea. The Vanoraks etc are no good if you have roof bars and loads, this will do the trick nicely. Thanks

Lovely piccies of the pucer.
How do you fix it?
Maybe this is a silly question but do you need a ladder/steps to put it on?

And how big is the bag once it's off and ready to go in the van for travel?

David

If you are tall enough you will get away with fitting it just by standing on the steps in the doorway, the only time it can be fun fitting it is when it is windy and will give some good entertainment for your neighbouring campers. As for folding down and packaged it is virtually the same size as a silver screen/taylor made screen cover when folder away in its bag.

I'm 5'8" (!) and had no problems standing on the wheels and door frames. Wife helped guide it behind the roof struts when it was windy but otherwise, pretty easy.

Find it's best to park into the wind when putting on and taking off.....

BerndRos said:
Find it's best to park into the wind when putting on and taking off.....
Reminds me of sailing... :rofl good tip though.

True, and those Lazyjacks can be really awkward when getting the main up and down if not directly into the wind.

had one of these on my t4 westie .and had darren make me a black one for my t5 .they are so good keep you cool in summer and warm in winnter .when you stand up in the van with the heater on its warm all around the top of the van .with out this fitted the air is cold when you stand up .tell darren that martin said to call may get a bit off .07941027277

I initially wanted windows too but now I'm happy without them. Most of the time when you'd need the cover, it'll be wet and windy and not worth seeing and plastic windows would be weaker, prone to UV degradation and would be three large areas without insulation.

T5WOB said:
had one of these on my t4 westie .and had darren make me a black one for my t5 .they are so good keep you cool in summer and warm in winnter .when you stand up in the van with the heater on its warm all around the top of the van .with out this fitted the air is cold when you stand up .tell darren that martin said to call may get a bit off .07941027277

So they do a black version...is it as good quality, same size to fit a cali?
If so where do I place my order?

give him a ring he did my black one as a one off put black netting over the silver .i have my front windscreen covered to .

T5WOB said:
give him a ring he did my black one as a one off put black netting over the silver .i have my front windscreen covered to .

Do you steer by mind control, a bit like a Jedi? ;)

SERIOUS test of this on Saturday night - force 8++ winds, the most insane rain I have heard/seen in ages - amount of dampness on the inside of the cover? Virtually zero! I also reckon the cover gave it some structural help - the entire van was shaking about like a leaf.

And another handy thing - we'd left it off the night before (it was dry) - when it suddenly started spitting, we had the cover on in about three minutes.

I can't see the need for anything more!