Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PULLING MY HAIR OUT WITH THE ROOF

Interestingly the roof did extend fully this time and the control unit says roof fault which it has not done before. Maybe because it is a very hot day

If it’s code for 1000 then you need a new roof harness with ram position sensors

Replaced the sensors..... Now the roof goes up and down!!!! Only problem is now when the roof is fully extended.. All good BUT when you take it down the drivers side comes down very fast making it extremely uneven. Roof pump or rams? or something else???

This must be something to find out.
If there is no external leakage of the rams, pump or tubes, there must be an internal leakage.
The rams are the "cheapest" option of about € 300, the motor (valve block , but you can't find that apart) is € 1400, all without work cost.

I changed my left ram because of sagging roof, but it didn't help.
As there is no leakage outside, I think it is the valve block on the motor. This is my next challenge.

Before I changed the sensors. The roof went up and down evenly. When we replaced the sensors the first side leaked lots of fluid the second side much less. The fluid has now been topped up twice so that is okay. These roofs are so sensitive.

Before I changed the sensors. The roof went up and down evenly. When we replaced the sensors the first side leaked lots of fluid the second side much less. The fluid has now been topped up twice so that is okay. These roofs are so sensitive.

Hi @johnforristal try working the roof hydraulics with the emergency release screw undone sometimes air can get trapped in the system. If that doesn’t work then operate the roof with two people and get someone to hold up the side that’s dropping quickly until the other side catches up and the hydraulic pressure holds the roof level on both sides. If none of that works then unfortunately you will need a new hydraulic unit.

I went to see a guy called Simon, who has worked on many California roofs (around 60) he is convinced that it is the pump that is causing the roof to come down unevenly. So I have sourced a reconditioned pump in Poland. I am going there to replace the pump. Can anyone give me a step by step instructions on how to change the roof pump. I have the right tools I believe. I have seen it done. Bricking myself having to do it on my own. Thank you in advance John

So I have sourced a reconditioned pump in Poland.
Could you be so kind to share with me (or us) where you found that reconditioned pump? I know someone in Poland, so they could get me another pump too.

For the change of the pump you need to get off the front headlining. Then release the pressure in the pump. Replace the pump, and pump up your roof.
Make sure you get new sealings (a set of 4) for the connections of the hydraulic tubes on the pump.

If you are still around, could you give me more info about the reconditioners in Poland?
My Polish friend is waiting to contact them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi John, did you ever resolve this issue as I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2012 T5?

Back