Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

quite magnificent ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I often fall into the trap of thinking of the Cali as "only a camper"...

When I was buying it and exchanging for my BMW X3 I thought at the time "what are we going to do for a main car"? I live with my Sister and we share and do a lot together, (she is my very best friend), so I was reconciling myself that we at least had her BMW 120.

We then decided to travel to the South of France together for the big family getaway. Her 120 was looking distinctly cramped, especially with back seats taken up by child seats. So despite taking hotels on the way down we took Albert.

What a brilliant choice.

We have just come back from a 2,500 mile round trip. No aches, a quiet, comfortable, effortless cruiser at close to motorway speed limits, stop for cups of tea when we wanted, a fridge to keep fresh food in, loads of space for my Sister's clothes, and even "on-board facilities". A mobile "charging station" for lap-tops, I Pads, phones etc: a place to store wine on the trip home, got under the 2m barrier at the Peages, almost got down unscathed a less than 2m wide street when Victoria, the bossy sat-nav, directed me through a restricted "historic Centre" ... (almost unscathed, scraped one of the two folded mirrors .. with the other one touching!)... A fabulous long-distance driving experience.

Can you put those chrome trims on to cover the damage?

I've seen them around, any you can recommend?

I am of a mind to just leave it until I trade in for a new T9 (well, T5.5) or pop into chips away, but of all my cars, mostly scruffy off road things anyway, I worry more about Albert's appearance than any I have owned.

Just type "T5 mirror covers" onto Amazon or eBay, seem to be around £25 - 30 ... haven't got any myself but no doubt someone will pop up with a recommendation for a particular supplier :)

When I was buying it and exchanging for my BMW X3 I thought at the time "what are we going to do for a main car"? I live with my Sister and we share and do a lot together, (she is my very best friend), so I was reconciling myself that we at least had her BMW 120.

We then decided to travel to the South of France together for the big family getaway. Her 120 was looking distinctly cramped, especially with back seats taken up by child seats. So despite taking hotels on the way down we took Albert.

What a brilliant choice.

We have just come back from a 2,500 mile round trip. No aches, a quiet, comfortable, effortless cruiser at close to motorway speed limits, stop for cups of tea when we wanted, a fridge to keep fresh food in, loads of space for my Sister's clothes, and even "on-board facilities". A mobile "charging station" for lap-tops, I Pads, phones etc: a place to store wine on the trip home, got under the 2m barrier at the Peages, almost got down unscathed a less than 2m wide street when Victoria, the bossy sat-nav, directed me through a restricted "historic Centre" ... (almost unscathed, scraped one of the two folded mirrors .. with the other one touching!)... A fabulous long-distance driving experience.
The more time you spend in them the more you like them! We came back from a long trip feeling refreshed after a 6.5 hr drive. What an amazing drive they are. I particularly enjoyed dropping Starlight into sport mode and flying past a caravan. Topped off by a great white whale not getting out of a petrol station in front of me. Fly baby fly...

I was cut up on the Peage at Clermont by a great white ...

I was drifting to the left and he just had to get past me and follow my direction towards an empty gate ...

Then he saw the 2m height barrier that I was heading for ... a little late .... but then, that's life ... I gave him such a sweet smile as he had to reverse a few yards and join a queue elsewhere ...... :D

The day after we got ours we did 200+ miles, did not even stop for a break and felt fresh as a daisy on arrival - not many cars can say that (at least that I have driven).

Borrowed by my sister for first long distance trip with my nephew (her A/C was not working) and she loves it for the baby - massive flat area for changing, comfortable, table at hand, sink, fridge :)

We have two boys 5 & 4. The van has helped us enjoy family life much more. It is comfortable, flexible and loved by the boys.

It makes even day to day journeys into mini adventures.

Ours is a Daily Driver, mine, SWMBO has a MX5. I now enjoy Motorway services. Park, pop to the loo, get Tea and Coffee and sit in van in comfort eating biccies and reading paper/book listening to radio. So much more civilised. If lunchtime then open fridge for sandwiches etc: without having to que. Heaven.

What a brilliant choice.

We did almost exactly same trip last month in the 36 degrees heat (three times what we've been getting in Scotland) planned to stay in hotels now and then but much more freedom rolling up to non-booked camp sites with pools and setting up, spent a lot less than expected due to fuel prices, bought picnic stuff at Lidl, ate out once a day on average for the experience. The Sanef toll gadget for the windscreen was great and like you we ended up a couple streets (mirrors folded) but generally no worries going anywhere, even over Mont Ventoux (last time was on the bicycle which has its merits on the downhill :))

Motorway services I hate, but found myself having to stop on way to Devon. It had been a hectic, tiring week.....2 hours of a sleep later, we were on our way and all the better for a comfy sleep in van...even at the services!

Hope you didn't stay longer than 2 hrs or you will be getting an unwelcomed parking fine!

Oooh, I'll remember that for the next time...I should have thought....I've been fined at Stirling services for that! Ta

Just type "T5 mirror covers" onto Amazon or eBay, seem to be around £25 - 30 ... haven't got any myself but no doubt someone will pop up with a recommendation for a particular supplier :)

As the chroming is a metal, although may be on a plastic backing, you may have trouble with the DAB radio, if you have one, as the aerial for this is mounted in the door mirror on the Cali T5.1

Alan

Back