Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio on with engine off - found it!

Pat

Pat

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
(sorry, couldn't find a search function so this may have been covered before)

Is it stupid in here, it is it just me?
I've been farting about tracking down poor connections to eliminate problems and I noticed the ignition switch was odd. It can push in for what appears to be no good reason. When it's held in, the radio can come on, until it's released - sometimes.

Well tonight I found out either I'm an idiot and you all knew the following or I just might be bringing good news to some of you:

If you have the ignition on and the radio going, if you then press in the key as you turn the ignition off, the radio stays on until you remove the key.

If you tell me all cars are like that, I shall go kill myself, having sat with the ignition half on waiting for the Radio 4 play to finish for years.....

You Sir, are a genius.

You may be right, all cars may be this way, but I have spent the last six months swearing at having to turn the radio on every half hour! :headbang:headbang:headbang

I thank you.:)

Err not sure about the push in thing but there is deffo a radio position which works till the key is removed. :cheers

I'd say all ca......actually better not :D
Seriously I have no idea but liked your post :thumb

......I wonder if he’s reading this or rigging up a length of hose pipe from the exhaust ?

I thought everyone knew that all cars were built that way ....

Here.... borrow my hatchet...

You Sir, are a genius.

You may be right, all cars may be this way, but I have spent the last six months swearing at having to turn the radio on every half hour! :headbang:headbang:headbang

I thank you.:)

Err.... I'm not sure if it stays on permanently! And I do seem to recall seeing some discussion about switching or bridging the 2 supply wires to the radio to get it to stay on, if only for 30 minutes or so.
I looked through the English instruction books but couldn't see any reference to this feature. It actually would make sense if radios stayed powered up as long as the key was inserted but they certainly were not in my Transit not a couple of trucks I've been driving this year.

BTW since I intend to spend a lot of time in my van I'm trying to ensure I have access to all my music. I can fit most of mine on my phone with 64GB and use Bluetooth, but navigating (the tracks, ye fool) is a pain, and even holding a phone in my hand while driving is illegal and if I'm honest, v dangerous. So today I picked up an Amazon Fire 7 inch (€35!) and the plan is to shove a128GB SD card (£32 today cyber Monday) in it, get a decent app to play the music and line up a few tracklists - one for sunny days, one for oh no I must be a rain God ( a la Terry Pratchett), one with sensitive ballads for when I'm trying to impress a grateful hitchhiker etc. Then velcro it somewhere I can't be accused of driving without due care etc.