Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio does not switch off with ignition

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
I installed a new radio in our 2007 California. I used an adapter for connecting the cables. It works perfectly, but when I shut down the ignition, the radio does not switch off. I changed the red and yellow wires, but there's no difference.
Is this related to the function of the cambus? Maybe the radio will switch off by itself after twenty minutes (I dare not to try this)? Of did I do something wrong?

Mine switches off when I remove the key

bmassaer said:
I installed a new radio in our 2007 California. I used an adapter for connecting the cables. It works perfectly, but when I shut down the ignition, the radio does not switch off. I changed the red and yellow wires, but there's no difference.
Is this related to the function of the cambus? Maybe the radio will switch off by itself after twenty minutes (I dare not to try this)? Of did I do something wrong?

Is it a VW radio or something else?

Ours switches itself off after some 20-30 minutes or so.

It will be a CANBUS type problem.

In the good old days there would be a 12v Feed and a switched 12v Feed.

The 12v feed would keep the memory, and the switched feed would turn the radio on/off with the Key.

Sadly that was too simple - most radios now have multiple 12v feeds, but it is very rare to have a switched 12v feed - they now rely on a computer to turn them on, the computer communicates over the CANBUS.

I am guessing you are installing a non-VW radio, or a VW radio from a newer vehicle.

If it is a 3rd party radio that needs a switched feed you can occasionally find one. In my BMW my 12v cigarette lighters are switched, so I used one of those.

Let us know what radio you are fitting and we might be able to help.

T

Would help if we knew it was an aftermarket or VW

Okay - thanks for all these information already. it's a Kenwood KDC-BT47SD. As I read from the manual, it has an option to turn itself off after a deterrmined period of time. In fact, I don't mind if it has to be switched off manually, but I thought I connected it the wrong way.

So I guess I can leave it this way, switch it off when leaving the car and in case I forget, it will switch off by itself?

Thank you!

To get it 100% I think you'd need some type of CanBus adaptor, something like this http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ctkvw01 ... lation-kit

Not sure how the unit will know to switch itself off, the idea of the old school red / yellow wires were that the vehicle sent a signal when it ignition was on / off, however this is now done over CanBus as stated.

The little unit in the kit above translates the CanBus ignition signal and into the old school ignition live.

OK - thank you. Nut this is getting too complicated for my low level of skills. And I guess it will be okay this way. Nut thank you so much for the advice!

I have been through all this with fitting an aftermarket dab radio to my 2007 van, I done what you did by swapping the yellow and red live wires, and believe me it will just flatten your starter battery. Ours is a basic pioneer but I would think most will be the same when you turn off the ignition the head unit is still live and yeah the head unit will have a on/off switch but the unit will still be on. I went through most of last summer with this happening to my van because I couldn't be bothered to sort it until the day we were heading off for a two week camp, van hadn't been used for a good while. Battery was that dead I couldn't even open the sliding door :eek: took a full 24hrs to charge the battery with a ctek battery condioner, I didn't want to use a fast charger in case it fried the battery thankfully the battery is fine and I think it was all down to the ctek.I knew the radio was still live because I have a adapter that connects to an adaptor socket and gives you the charge of the battery wether it be starter or leisure battery, three colour led display green is good, yellow starting to lose charge but generally fine and red the battery needs help pretty soon :D
Only thing I would recommend is to start again and use the fuse in position 19 on the front dash fuse board, (connect a piggy back fuse, simplest way) connect a new wire to this and wire this to your switched live on your head unit. You will have to switch the yellow/red wires round again on your quadlock.
Fuse 19 is a switched live a thin brown/green wire.
Hope this helps and don't worry it's a really easy job.

OK - I will see if I can do that. For now: this "piggy bag fuse" should be of how many amps? (The radio has a 10-amp fuse) And if I buy a wire, how thick should this be? Or will they be able to tell me in the shop?
I am sorry, but I know nothing about electricity. I think I will manage to do this, though...

See if this eBay item number works 231009521343 this is the type you will need. Use the same number fuse whatever fuse No19 is I'm pretty sure it's a red 10amp. Sorry I don't know what amp cable I used it was just a piece I had in a cupboard that was long enough but once you see how thin the wire that's connected to fuse 19 is I wouldn't worry that much about it. And I'm sure when you buy cable bobbins it tells you what its recommended for.
One thing though you will have to remove the fuse box to thread the new cable through which also involves removing some of the plastic trim round the glovebox area just look for the screws and remove them.

Maybe a silly question... But while I am working on this job; isn't there a fuse-location in the font box connnecting to the leisure battery under the driver's seat? To connect the radio immediately to this battery? Or is there an easy way to pull a cable to this battery?

bmassaer said:
Maybe a silly question... But while I am working on this job; isn't there a fuse-location in the font box connnecting to the leisure battery under the driver's seat? To connect the radio immediately to this battery? Or is there an easy way to pull a cable to this battery?
Sorry I've no idea on that one, seems most people just go the easy way and connect into the green/brown wire either at the dash fuse box or further up the dash. At least if you connect at the fuse box position there won't be any mistakes thinking have I joined or cut into the correct cable.

This 19 fuse, it had a radio symbol on the fuse-map. What does it connect now?

So I have removed all screws around the fuse box (the four metal ones and all the black ones). But now I wonder how to take out this fuse box to reach the back side?

Okay, I guess I managed to do this. In fact, I was able to pull the cable from the stereo (which was long enough) to front of the fuse box. Now I am waiting for the piggy back fuse, when I will be able to startup te radio again.

Brilliant good work :thumb you have done well, I removed half of the dash to get that fuse box out.
Sorry I couldn't have been anymore help to your earlier posts today, unfortunately I was at work :cry:

No problem... Today I was off work and despite of the freezing weather, it was the right time to do the job. At first I thought I could leave the heater on but nope... with the battery disconnected (for safety reasons) the aux heater was disconnected too...
I only could undo the right side (passenger side) of the dashboard panel under the glove box; near the center I found no more screws (naar the ashtray) though the panel stayed fixed. But it was enough to poke the wire through. The wire is now coming from the back of the fuse box, through the hole of an empty fuse-location; I guess that's okay. So I learned a lot today, can't wait until the piggy back fuse (what a funny name) arrives to see if the radio turns on and off with the ignition...

Thanks for the support!!

Back