Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Kenwood sound system draining battery?

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I know there have been many threads about replacing sound/bluetooth/satnav kits, but I can't find anythong about this specific issue. I've finally bitten the bullet and replaced the original 2008 radio with a top Kenwood system. Amongst other things, I was alarmed to find you have to switch the ignition to position one to play it. With the original set, it would turn off whe you took the key out, but then you could turn it on again. Being a camping vehicle (T5 Cali), we go to bed upstairs and leave the radio on until it cuts out (about 40 mins, I think). But with this retrofit installation requiring the ignition on, I fear it will no longer shut off, and the battery will drain overnight (even if the radio does shut off, as several indicator lights stay on in the dash display). Am I panicking about nothing, and the ignition will eventually just shut off, despite the key being turned? By the way, the DAB radio is crap - only picks up local stations. I suspect that's the stick-on aerial though.

Ref turning off when removing key, it could be the two supplies are crossed.

Head unit uses two power supplies, permanent and ACC (key postn 1). The Alpine units need these two reversing for VW and Vauxhall. It may be worth trying swapping them. You'll know it's wrong if the head unit looses stored settings when switched off.

Re DAB aerial, stick ons are pretty useless. External body mounted powered aerial is what's required.
Your head unit will have a setting in the menu for powered antennas.

Ref turning off when removing key, it could be the two supplies are crossed.

Head unit uses two power supplies, permanent and ACC (key postn 1). The Alpine units need these two reversing for VW and Vauxhall. It may be worth trying swapping them. You'll know it's wrong if the head unit looses stored settings when switched off.

Re DAB aerial, stick ons are pretty useless. External body mounted powered aerial is what's required.
Your head unit will have a setting in the menu for powered antennas.
Just to say we have a stick on aerial and it works fine? It looks pretty naff which bothers me, but I'm guessing that the external type costs quite a lot?

Externals cost about £70. The tricky part is mounting it. The only viable location is directly above the rear view mirror inside the roof overlap. Height may be an issue.

Back