Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rain obscuring view on driver's door mirror

G

gatvol

I recently drove up the a1 in heavy rain at 70mph in my 61 plate with vw awning properly retracted. I have done 6000 of mainly dry summer miles in it.

What struck me was how poor the visibility was though the diver's side window. I have not noticed this before. This made use of the door mirror when overtaking problematic. Loads of water was swirling round the outside of the window, just in the corner you look through to use the mirror. The passenger side was not similarly affected.

I have not had this problem on any other car before. It makes me wonder whether :help

1. The vw awning affects airflow, so this is just what happens, or
2. My van has a fault with deflectors or otherwise, or
3. This was a freak event caused by the angle of the wind and I should forget about it

Any thoughts much appreciated pls as I like to get matters fixed under warranty, but do not like to let mechanics near my van unless necessary.

Thank you

I've had exactly the same problem – made for a rather intense few moments! (until I slowed down ;) ).

I'm not sure if this really makes a difference, but turning the heated wing mirrors on seems to help – the mirrors appear to stay a lot drier. Worth a try if it happens again!

Update: I've just found that BMW seem to think that heating mirrors in the rain does help.

I've also tried using a different glass cleaner which seems to help.

Best wishes,
Steve

Same here on the M4 on Friday.
Not water on the mirror but like you say swirling round on the window.
It does not always do it so I put it down to the wind direction and strength.

Out of interest, do your vans have wind deflectors fitted on the doors? Ours does, and I'm wondering if it's a factor...

I don't have separate or aftermarket wind deflectors attached to mine. I reckon the awning is the cause as even on 1970s cars I have never had this problem

I will try some of that window treatment like mer or rain-x that helps the water to bead and be blown away by the airflow.

Hi,

I've had the use of an early T5 Combi Van and now my own brand new Cali, and they both suffer from this, so I don't think it is related to the awning, but rather I put it down to the fact that the windscreen wipers pull the water across to the right, and then, while at motorway speeds it simply pulls and swirls its way past the drivers window.

I plan to fit the wind deflectors to minimise this issue.

I had the same problem in the west country the last week. Noticed it on both the drivers and passengers side (worse on drivers). Do have an awning but no deflectors

I've noticed this also. It is obviously worse on the motorway as you tend to increase the windspeed! I did ask elsewhere if people thought that havingdeflectors might make a difference. I'm not sure they would as they appear to be "cutaway" by the mirror!

It is a bit scarey when the outside lane disappears!

Used to get this with my T5 so fully expecting it on the Cali although was hoping it would be less with the new wing mirror profile.

rain-x or similar really helps, as does blowing warm/hot air to warm the glass up. Both things cause the water to be less 'stuck' to the window so needs less airflow to get rid of it.

heat the mirrors too, as when you do get a look at the mirror it is good to have it nice and clear too :D

changing speed is the other way to solve it before you need to overtake (up or down, your choice ;) ) as that will change the airflow again causing that water to be 'collected'

you take your Cali out in the rain? :eek:
:lol:

Get this problem when driving the truck in heavy rain, go to overtake something & can not see much. I usually open window which illuminates one rain covered surface. Is worse when people don't use headlights in these conditions as this makes it harder to see them.

We've had this, and we have VW deflectors. It's not there every time it rains so must be due to wind / slipstream flow interacting. Irritating but not dangerous, we think.

I've not had this issue but I use glass coatings to impove visiblity in the rain. Having tried a few I have settled on this:

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/ex ... art-glass/

I think it has the best balance of price, ease of application, performace in the wet and working life. I can't recomend using this type of coating highly enough. It enable me to have excellent visiblity on the motorway at night in very heavy rain. Used on the door windows it leaves the windows clear.

Their paint coating C2 is pretty cool stuff too.

Back