Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rainbow Screen with an Acapulco blue van

When we had our Globecar I ended up staying in Aberdeen for the whole of winter 2014/15 and fitted Silverscreens (the brand). My wife was in the van everyday whilst I went flying……. the screens were a game changer! They cut down on cold draughts from the cold air dropping down from the windscreen and made the van much warmer altogether. Also during that time we never had any condensation whatsoever. Once we were on the road again and out of winter we never used them again. They were great whilst it was cold and we were stationary but for touring they took up a lot of space and were a lot of faff to fit and remove daily. Horses for courses I s’pose.

I have been wondering about insulation for the top but a bit like @Stu@rt I can’t really say I warm (no pun intended) to Rainbow Screens and their old fashioned indulgent way of making what they want to make and not what the customer wants to buy (don’t get me on my soap box about measuring my van for fit!)

Regarding external screens, in the generic motorhome world Silverscreens are highly rated by virtually everyone. Their quality is excellent (but their website is awkward, clunky and out of date)

Hmm, I think I might contact Silverscreens and ask about a pop top cover…..

EDIT: I’ve just been on one of my other forums and Minster get rave reviews (@Stu@rt?)

Think I might call them too…..
Like I already said, in all but really low temps, waste of time. In hind sight etc I wouldn't buy another one at all

Like I already said, in all but really low temps, waste of time. In hind sight etc I wouldn't buy another one at all
They’re great at blocking out the light. I’m one of those who wakes up as soon as it’s light in the room, probably because I have blackout curtains at home. The Cali windscreen blinds let too much light in. The Rainbow screen makes the cab pitch black, and the rear blinds do a great job in their tracks.

Back