Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rather alarming tyre wear

M

muttley

Guest User
To follow on from the recent discussion about rapid tyre wear, I have just checked the tyres on my 2012 Cali, and after 6500 miles I estimate that I have about 3mm left on the fronts. That is far worse than anything I have experienced on hot hatches or sports cars, so I assume that the weight of the Cali is the issue, rather than a leaden right foot.

I have been using the van as a daily driver, and the vast majority of that mileage has been on twisty country lanes, which are obviously not the Cali's forte. I plan to replace the OEM Michelin Primacies with all weather tyres (which seem to be fitted as standard to T5 vans), so I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows how these tend to wear. Thanks.

Simon

My 2010 180 DSG has just turned 12,000 miles. I drive very gently most of the time with the odd occasion where I "make progress Officer". The tyres look pretty much like new!

Are yours wearing evenly across the tyre?

Yes, the wear is even - there is no indication of any tracking or misalignment issue. I am sure it is just that the Cali is a big lump, and the tyres take a lot of punishment on winding country lanes. I certainly don't drive hard, as the van really doesn't reward that sort of driving.

I will be buying an old 4 motion Golf as a daily driver, so it will be interesting to see how the wear rate changes when the Cali is used mostly on A-roads & motorways for weekends away. I will report back!

Simon

For info, my Beach has done 5000miles.

All tyres wearing pretty evenly and down to 4.5mm.

I didn't check new but think it was about 6.5mm (from the spare)

So I guess I expect to hit 12500miles by the time they're up for changing.

I drive the van smoothly and mostly long journeys so am surprised it's not better than it is.

I drive my 180 DSG every day 6 miles across Milton Keynes, 9 roundabouts, each way to work. The fronts are just legal & getting replaced next week. Cali has done 14900 miles. Rears have minimal wear & will be going on the front. Always put newer tyres on the rear as you have less control over the rear axle being non driven or steered.

6500 miles with 3mm left is not good, & I was thinking mine was not good.

Same as Andy, I have the 180DSG with 17" Thunders and my fronts were replaced at around 16K and it is my daily drive.

Pretty certain my tyres aren't Michelin, Continental rings a bell.

Anyone else on Michelin??

Be interesting to see which make of tyres are wearing best.

Mine are OE dunlop Sportmaxx on 17" thunders (-30mm springs) and seem to be wearing a bit fast.

I changed my continentals at 17k I think they still had 3k left its just the tread had started to crack. Now got hankooks on sportlines :thumb

I hadn't really thought about it much but a quick google seems to suggest that most new tyres are 8mm tread depth (rings a bell to me) so my OE Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's with a new tread depth of 6.5mm isn't going to be great for tyre life and probably explains why they seem so low already.

Might also explain the muttley's problem.

Not sure why they're only 6.5mm new.

I hadn't thought of it before, but come renewal time I'll be looking for 8mm tyres - unless someone can tell me a good reason not to.

I hadn't thought of it before, but come renewal time I'll be looking for 8mm tyres - unless someone can tell me a good reason not to

Probably cost. Less rubber = cheaper tyres ?

Stu said:
Pretty certain my tyres aren't Michelin, Continental rings a bell.

Anyone else on Michelin??

Mine are
MICHELIN XSE RADIAL PILOT PRIMACY EXTRA LOAD 235/55/R17 on all four wheels (4motion)

They were on the van when I got it 16 months old and 16k miles. The van hadn't even had it's first service and I'm assuming the previous owner hadn't changed the tyres either.
I've now got 25k miles on the clock and the fronts are still legal and I'm looking to change the fronts only soon. Not sure what ones to get myself. :? :?:

Hi

Mines a September 2011 Cali, has Dunlops on, 17000miles, 4+mm fronts 5mm+ backs, estimating 20000+ before needing to change the fronts, going to France/Italy for 8/9weeks June/July so probably change just before I go, sure that if you went to legal limits of 1.6mm would be about 25000miles, realise that's a legal limit and not recommended safety limits for braking etc.

On reflection, I think I'm going to change the backs to front and front to back, this should then balance the wear and then change all tyres when required to same make, should get full wear out of them, another 8000 at least.

Just checked spare wheel, it's 8mm deep, changing wheels around should therefore give at least another 12000 before safely changing all tyres and above legal requirements.

Kevin

viking said:
Mine are
MICHELIN XSE RADIAL PILOT PRIMACY EXTRA LOAD 235/55/R17 on all four wheels (4motion)

They were on the van when I got it 16 months old and 16k miles. The van hadn't even had it's first service and I'm assuming the previous owner hadn't changed the tyres either.
I've now got 25k miles on the clock and the fronts are still legal and I'm looking to change the fronts only soon. Not sure what ones to get myself. :? :?:

That sounds like excellent mileage - esp for a 4x4.

Silverfox - which dunlops have you got?

Custardtart said:
viking said:
Mine are

That sounds like excellent mileage - esp for a 4x4.

Silverfox - which dunlops have you got?

Dunlop SP LT30-6 216/65 R16 c

Just seen my mechanic and he reckons to definitely do the crossover back to front and at least another legal 8000 miles, which adds up to 25000 miles, not unhappy with that, definitely get the French/Italian holiday out of them and then change for October jaunt all being well.

Kevin