Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uneven tyre wear.

For some reason the right side tyres on my new T6 is worn out significantly more than left side. These are the new tyres that were sold with a vehicle.
Attached are photos of front left and right wheels. The right one is starting to show up significant wear. And I am pretty far north in Norway. I was thinking of possibly get into tyre shop and at least switch them around. I think I've made no more than 30k km on these tyres.
Got around 5k more to get home.
What pressure have you got in the tyres ?

What pressure have you got in the tyres ?
Max 50 psi the tyre can handle and sitation has improved. Inflating as manufacturer suggests resulted in worn edges.
Can always check if moddle is worn faster when overinflated and deflate a bit.

Cool thanks,
Thats the weird thing, wear is even suggesting its good.
Max 50 psi the tyre can handle and sitation has improved. Inflating as manufacturer suggests resulted in worn edges.

I put my tyres to 3.9 bar (psi??). This is the max the tyres can handle safely.
Outer sides of the front tyres wear faster than the insides. Inside of the rear tyres wear faster than the outside.
I manage to get 40000 km or more with one set of front tyres (front wheel drive).
Factory fitted Bridgestone Duravis R410 on 2015/65R16 102/100H.

On my Golf 4, when I put my tyres to 2,0 bar at the front and 1,9 at the rear, the tyres wore more on the outer sides of the tyres (inside and outside). I just put them to 2,5 bar all 4, and they wore way more evenly.
Always put higher pressure on your tyres than stated on the sticker!
Saves some fuel too!

And for 4motion, change front to back every 5000 or 10000 km.
You need 4 new tyres anyway when changing the worn tyres. You can then just wear them all the same.

The question is, why just the nearside (kerb) front, this is the only vehicle in 30years that has exhibited this.
I put my tyres to 3.9 bar (psi??). This is the max the tyres can handle safely.
Outer sides of the front tyres wear faster than the insides. Inside of the rear tyres wear faster than the outside.
I manage to get 40000 km or more with one set of front tyres (front wheel drive).
Factory fitted Bridgestone Duravis R410 on 2015/65R16 102/100H.

On my Golf 4, when I put my tyres to 2,0 bar at the front and 1,9 at the rear, the tyres wore more on the outer sides of the tyres (inside and outside). I just put them to 2,5 bar all 4, and they wore way more evenly.
Always put higher pressure on your tyres than stated on the sticker!
Saves some fuel too!

And for 4motion, change front to back every 5000 or 10000 km.
You need 4 new tyres anyway when changing the worn tyres. You can then just wear them all the same.

On my 4 Motion, over the past 3 sets of tyres, wear front to rear and L to R has been equal, so I no longer change them around.

I don't know why you get the above abnormal wear pattern except the most likely cause is incorrect tyre pressures, but I do know you can get more tyre wear on the Near Side front tyre on a heavy FWD vehicle because of 2 factors , Roundabouts and camber, and this relates to the UK.
In countries that drive on the Right the wear can be on the R Drivers side. This is all related to steering geometry and tyre pressures.

The tyre wear rate is not unexpected, vans like Fords Custom sport use car tyres and suffer under 10k miles lifespan.
The van came to me with 4k miles on, no idea of the driving style or maintenance in that time.
Since I have had it The tyre pressures have been set to full load 3.1bar all around.
One every pressure check they all were 3.1 - 3.05bar before adjustment and tyre wear across the tread up until now has been even all round.
I suspect that 4motion helps by spreading wear during acceleration in slippy conditions, I had one experience of wheel spin the day I got it in the wet.
I am thinking an increase in pressures may be of benefit.
As for different tyres maybe the crossclimates maybe better on wear, that said I intend to get a set of winters for where we live with our sports. Perhaps some hard wearing summers.
On my 4 Motion, over the past 3 sets of tyres, wear front to rear and L to R has been equal, so I no longer change them around.

I don't know why you get the above abnormal wear pattern except the most likely cause is incorrect tyre pressures, but I do know you can get more tyre wear on the Near Side front tyre on a heavy FWD vehicle because of 2 factors , Roundabouts and camber, and this relates to the UK.
In countries that drive on the Right the wear can be on the R Drivers side. This is all related to steering geometry and tyre pressures.
Not sure i would get the millage you got, the 235’s are softer
I can't answer that specific question.

so with more time now, I have measured 8 points across the all tyres.
What I have found is that it looks like under inflation, more wear on all 4 tyres shoulder edges by 1mm or slightly more.
This also shows 1mm more wear on the passenger side tyre edge.
My conclusion from looking at T6 tyre pressures it seems other models with the same tyre size shows full load of 3.2 front and 3.3 rear full load where California pressures are 3.1 front and rear.
increasing the pressures sounds like the way forward.

so with more time now, I have measured 8 points across the all tyres.
What I have found is that it looks like under inflation, more wear on all 4 tyres shoulder edges by 1mm or slightly more.
This also shows 1mm more wear on the passenger side tyre edge.
My conclusion from looking at T6 tyre pressures it seems other models with the same tyre size shows full load of 3.2 front and 3.3 rear full load where California pressures are 3.1 front and rear.
increasing the pressures sounds like the way forward.
Depending if the Tyre Pressure gauge you are using is correct.

Depending if the Tyre Pressure gauge you are using is correct.
They have been bang in full load 3.1bar as door label every time they have been checked from 4000miles, now 8500miles.
Never more than 0.05 bar off when checked.
The higher 3.2 and 3.3 make sense as I wonder if its a comfort measure at the expense of wear.
The tyre are twice the other van so i am keen to get the most wear, planning to replace with cross climate + instead of summer and winter tyres.

They have been bang in full load 3.1bar as door label every time they have been checked from 4000miles, now 8500miles.
Never more than 0.05 bar off when checked.
The higher 3.2 and 3.3 make sense as I wonder if its a comfort measure at the expense of wear.
The tyre are twice the other van so i am keen to get the most wear, planning to replace with cross climate + instead of summer and winter tyres.
Different tyre gauges? Or same one. Not all tyre gauges are accurate.

Same gauge used which was same as I have used for the last 10 years. No issues of of wear on those cars and vans, just this one.
If there was an issue with the passenger side front which i do wonder Now then i’d have to travel to to have the tracking adjusted, given Acc and no local garage i would use.

And also agreed with the pump gauge.

Having had persistent erroneous tyre pressure warnings come up on just about every journey I finally decided to fit a TPMS system which has proven to be very informative.

Tyre pressures vary with weather and air temperature as I'd always believed.

eg Fronts set to 44psi in summer, July.
In 36 degrees air temp on a long run went up to 50psi. On a cool morning will show as low as 41psi and go up to 44psi after a few miles.
A rise of 2>3psi seems to be the norm from setting off cold.

If the sun on one side then that side shows 2psi or more higher pressure than the shaded side.

In support of @WelshGas as to the accuracy of gauges. Some years ago I had access to test/calibration equipment of aircraft gauges, I did a test of tyre pressure gauges using that spec. equipment and found only one of about 6 was accurate. Some being well out and really useless. I still have the 'perfect' one.
I also recall a Motor Magazine test of forecourt tyre gauges finding that the majority were innacurate.

Having had persistent erroneous tyre pressure warnings come up on just about every journey I finally decided to fit a TPMS system which has proven to be very informative.

Tyre pressures vary with weather and air temperature as I'd always believed.

eg Fronts set to 44psi in summer, July.
In 36 degrees air temp on a long run went up to 50psi. On a cool morning will show as low as 41psi and go up to 44psi after a few miles.
A rise of 2>3psi seems to be the norm from setting off cold.

If the sun on one side then that side shows 2psi or more higher pressure than the shaded side.

In support of @WelshGas as to the accuracy of gauges. Some years ago I had access to test/calibration equipment of aircraft gauges, I did a test of tyre pressure gauges using that spec. equipment and found only one of about 6 was accurate. Some being well out and really useless. I still have the 'perfect' one.
I also recall a Motor Magazine test of forecourt tyre gauges finding that the majority were innacurate.
Point take about gauges, seems strange as the caddy camper we run has had good even tyre wear over the 75k miles its done using the same gauge, same method of measure and cold.
However as the cali is unladen 300kg more than the Caddy gross weight tyres will wear faster and key variables like pressure be more apparent In the faster wear.
New gauge on order 1-2% accurate (2% in lower 25% 0-3.5bar) so we will see what the comparison is with current gauges.
I sometimes wish it had came with 215 commercial tyres as they wear slower and are in my opinion more suited to this vehicle but tyre wear has been superseded by comfort in this case.

Point take about gauges, seems strange as the caddy camper we run has had good even tyre wear over the 75k miles its done using the same gauge, same method of measure and cold.
However as the cali is unladen 300kg more than the Caddy gross weight tyres will wear faster and key variables like pressure be more apparent In the faster wear.
New gauge on order 1-2% accurate (2% in lower 25% 0-3.5bar) so we will see what the comparison is with current gauges.
I sometimes wish it had came with 215 commercial tyres as they wear slower and are in my opinion more suited to this vehicle but tyre wear has been superseded by comfort in this case.
If always using the same gauge and it has proven to give reliable results in terms of wear there's no reason to worry about it.
In actual fact you have based your gauge readings on even tyre wear. Had your gauge been out you'd have been running either a higher or lower pressure (according to the gauge). If you follow my logic.

Risk is for those that rely on Forecourt tyre gauges all being the same in terms of accuracy.

If always using the same gauge and it has proven to give reliable results in terms of wear there's no reason to worry about it.
In actual fact you have based your gauge readings on even tyre wear. Had your gauge been out you'd have been running either a higher or lower pressure (according to the gauge). If you follow my logic.

Risk is for those that rely on Forecourt tyre gauges all being the same in terms of accuracy.
Its always at home readings, carry a pump abd gauge. We run full load in the caddy with even wear, mind they are ÂŁ65 a corner for goodyears so matter less.
Having seen higher pressures for the transporter plates on line for T32 (3.2/3.3 FL) makes me think there a passenger comfort trade off here.
Suspension being as autocar put it “comedic roll” the worst i have had, does not lend itself to spirited driving, relax and potter.

I had issues with rear tyre wear from new. The two rear tyres were wearing at twice the rate of the front and there was more wear on the outer edges than inside. VW checked the tracking, twice at ÂŁ90 each, said it was ok and that it was due to roundabouts! Believe that if you will. Took van to an independent and they showed that the rear tracking was way out. To check again, took the van to another independent and again the tracking was way out. Went back to VW Commercials and had an "interesting" discussion with the maintenance manager. Ended up with them refunding me the two VW tracking checks. Wear is now even and wear rate is less than the front. Moral, do not always believe the expert unless you have checked.

I had issues with rear tyre wear from new. The two rear tyres were wearing at twice the rate of the front and there was more wear on the outer edges than inside. VW checked the tracking, twice at ÂŁ90 each, said it was ok and that it was due to roundabouts! Believe that if you will. Took van to an independent and they showed that the rear tracking was way out. To check again, took the van to another independent and again the tracking was way out. Went back to VW Commercials and had an "interesting" discussion with the maintenance manager. Ended up with them refunding me the two VW tracking checks. Wear is now even and wear rate is less than the front. Moral, do not always believe the expert unless you have checked.
My local VW Dealer actually said that the rear wasn't adjustable! Say no more.

My local VW Dealer actually said that the rear wasn't adjustable! Say no more.
Camber isn't adjustable at the rear.
But due to the weight, my tyres wear faster on the inner sides. The camber is too negative, but that is not adjustable. Tracking and caster is adjustable.

Camber isn't adjustable at the rear.
But due to the weight, my tyres wear faster on the inner sides. The camber is too negative, but that is not adjustable. Tracking and caster is adjustable.
Sure there might be tracking out but it looks like under inflated. New cross climate + all round and find a trusted place to check (adjust if needed ). Note need to be capable of adjustment with Acc system.

Sure there might be tracking out but it looks like under inflated. New cross climate + all round and find a trusted place to check (adjust if needed ). Note need to be capable of adjustment with Acc system.
VW should have to be capable of adjusting the tracking with all the systems in your car.
I think most modern tyre centers could be able too, if they have a system that is capable of reading/writing in the VW computers. It gets less and less easy for small and/or independant garages to work on any car now.
It could even be that when you put your van in one of the smaller garages, they drive your van to VW to get things sorted.
I'd then rather drive my van to VW myself.

VW should have to be capable of adjusting the tracking with all the systems in your car.
I think most modern tyre centers could be able too, if they have a system that is capable of reading/writing in the VW computers. It gets less and less easy for small and/or independant garages to work on any car now.
It could even be that when you put your van in one of the smaller garages, they drive your van to VW to get things sorted.
I'd then rather drive my van to VW myself.
VW centre is a minimum of 70miles inverness or 130miles Edinburgh or good independent in Perth.
I am sure my trusted local garage it will be check but not sure they will have the equipment for the adjustment of radar.
Challenging living here at times

Everyone (?) can track your vehicle, but not everyone can adjust all the surrounding systems.

You can let your van being tracked, and see what it gives when you drive with it. If no faults appear, and all the systems work well (a minor adjustment to the track is no problem), you can leave it like that and be happy you have more even tyre wear.

Back