Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Reviews of the Cobb BBQ
Available from: Various online including Amazon and Lakeland
Price: Around £100

Re: Cobb barbaque

Hi

I was given one as a retirement present 12 months ago and have used it many times at home and on camper vanning trips since then. It is an excellent piece of equipment for bot bbq and roasting. I was also given some cobblestones to use. They are great, with about 2 hours heat time, but are a tad expensive at an average of £1.60 per cobble stone. If anyone is thinking of getting one now hang on and keep checking the official UK web site because in November/December time last year they did have they a sale on.

had one for 6yrs now best thing you can buy for your calie .but get the whole kit .and use cobb stones .

Cobb backed up this offer by e mail to me after my posting. If you apply the promo code XMAS-11 to anything you purchase and 10% will be deducted. this offer runs until 31/12/11.
Interesting to note that they do a gas bbq now. this offer can be done on line or by telephone to them on 01296 681095

Excellent piece of kit! We use cobblestones, little mess, fairly easy to light and good heat output, but are fairly expensive. The Wok is by far the most used item and I have found that if it is placed directly onto the Cobb base the lack of air flow reduces the burn of the cobblestone and reduces the heat output too much. I fixed this by placing the chrome basket onto the Cobb first and the Wok on top of this, which raises the wok and allows better airflow and thus gives a much hotter cobblestone. Not seen this in the instructions anywhere but works well :)

I have seen one suggestion where someone used a Meths burner as the heat source, I have not tried this but may experiment further next year.

Always liked the idea of using a BBQ when camping but never had the room before. Will probably look at getting a Cobb now. Where do people store them in a California? Will they go in the back cupboards?

CannellWalker said:
Always liked the idea of using a BBQ when camping but never had the room before. Will probably look at getting a Cobb now. Where do people store them in a California? Will they go in the back cupboards?
The cobb is a bit too big for the cupboard, we keep our one below the back parcel shelf. Its a really good bit of kit we would not be without.

I bought a Trangia burner which burns Metholated Spirit and tested it today in the Cobb, as the heat source, for cooking sausages, mushrooms, and eggs; it worked really well. It was easy to light, provided excellent heat and should prove realitvely cheap to run. The heat output was also adjustable with the burner cap provided, which meant that I could turn it down for the sausages and then turn it back up for the eggs :D

Why do this? Well... the cobblestones are great for BBQ and using the Wok to cook curry, chill and the like, but can work out expensive if lighting one for a quick breakfast! I hope this should provide the solution!
A 1/3 full burner lasted for approx 20 to 25 minutes when cooking indoors.

Only negatives I can see is the need to handle the Meths carefully and transport in an appropriate saftey can, but should not be a problem if handled carefully and correctly!

Hi all
Thank's Barry great idea i love this forum it's so helpful. :D

Gary & Heather