Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Re-fitting drain tube and hose on 2015 California

shaunchivers

shaunchivers

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have located the source of water in my passenger footwell to be a detached hose from the grommet part that tube connects to (Drain Tube - part 6X0877236A). This is the drain hose that runs from the frontside drain hole down the pillar. Not too difficult to find the culprit as the drain tube part fell out when I removed the lower dash panel!

My question is what is the best/easiest way to reconnect the hose and fit the drain tube. I can just about get one hand up and feel where it all needs to go but I am going to need to create more room for a second hand. Can the passenger side lower dash be removed easily without setting off the airbag?

Can the passenger side lower dash be removed easily without setting off the airbag?
We have a continental LHD Cali, where we have removed the passenger side lower dash ('starboard' side of the van) once to chance the interior air filter. So I guess it can be done also on a UK RHD drive model with the 'port' side lower dash. We disconnected the battery before, to avoid possible air bag issues.

:welcome are you not still in waranty
Yes, and the van is booked in next Tuesday with my local dealer. I was just looking to see if there was anything sensible I could do as its raining rather a lot at the moment :(

I was just looking to see if there was anything sensible I could do as its raining rather a lot at the moment :(

Our van is parked nose down hill on our drive and a LOT of water comes off the front corners when raining could you park it nose uphill so water heads for the rear

I have decided on a temporary fix until it goes into the dealer. A short length of garden hose fits nicely over the down pipe and out through the hole where the drain tube grommet goes. Secured with a little bit of tape this will be sufficient for a week. We have just had a downpour and all looks good so fingers crossed.

I have decided on a temporary fix until it goes into the dealer. A short length of garden hose fits nicely over the down pipe and out through the hole where the drain tube grommet goes. Secured with a little bit of tape this will be sufficient for a week. We have just had a downpour and all looks good so fingers crossed.
Hi Shaun,
I have the exact same problem, and my roof liner is now ruined.
If I understand well, you just replaced the VW pipe which is made of multiple segments by a unique replacement pipe that goes from the inlet to the outlet ?
Did it turn out to be a permanent fix ?

I need all the advice I can get at this point, as my nice T5 is slowly rotting.

Hi Shaun,
I have the exact same problem, and my roof liner is now ruined.
If I understand well, you just replaced the VW pipe which is made of multiple segments by a unique replacement pipe that goes from the inlet to the outlet ?
Did it turn out to be a permanent fix ?

I need all the advice I can get at this point, as my nice T5 is slowly rotting.
Sorry to hear but to be honest it sounds like you have a slightly different issue. My drain pipe had become detached and was emptying rain water into the footwell. If your roof liner has perished it sounds like the water isn’t able to run away. Id check to see if your drain pipe is blocked. Thankfully, since re-attaching the original pipe I haven’t had any further issues.

Thanks Shaun.
Strangely, water flows normally through the drain pipes.
I had already gone through the process of re-caulking the rubber cap that serves as an inlet.
I may have botched the job, or maybe the first segment of the pipe got loose, or severed... I don't know.
Fiddling in the A pillar is quite difficult, but I guess I'll have to go back in there.
The whole premise of conveying wather through the chassis, inside the vehicle, and through the chassis again looks like a recipe for disaster...

@osuire did you find the problem? Any pictures?
Yes !
I should mention I made the conversion from automatic to manual roof opening (thanks to Dumé).
The bundle of wires and pipes for the electro-hydraulic roof still stick out through the infamous rubber cap.
I had caulked the whole thing with Sikaflex, but there was still a passage for the water.

Now I have taken down the headliner, and looking for an upholsterer to make it great again.
IMG_20200926_152316_01.jpg
IMG_20200926_130201_02.jpg

PS : I like your Monty Python reference ;)

Hi, osuire... I have a similar problem and believed I'd sort the drain 'grommet' be getting it replaced by the I brought by 2012 cali from... any updates please? We'll need to get a new headliner in the end... if we ever solver the issue. Thanks

Hi, osuire... I have a similar problem and believed I'd sort the drain 'grommet' be getting it replaced by the I brought by 2012 cali from... any updates please? We'll need to get a new headliner in the end... if we ever solver the issue. Thanks
Have a read of this forum post which identifies a source of the roof cowl leak, lots of useful info in the whole post, good luck ...

Post in thread 'Water Leak - do I need to spend £2500 pounds to replace the infamous roof panel?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ace-the-infamous-roof-panel.39243/post-630756