Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New (fast!) drain for kitchen sink: awesome!

Duckling68 said:
VW have obviously found the sink draining to be a problem to come up with a solution :crazy

Does this mean that owners that still have warranty on their vehicle can claim for this upgrade work to be done FOC by VW main dealers ;)

There is a VW work instruction that reroutes the waste hose so that it doesn't route in an S shape; It is cable tied to the bodywork rather than forced into the U of the moulded plastic.

How do I know? i queried whether my kitchen plumbing had been put back correctly after VW Poole removed / reinstalled it.

Simon

Have you a picture?

rob

shambly said:
There is a VW work instruction that reroutes the waste hose so that it doesn't route in an S shape; It is cable tied to the bodywork rather than forced into the U of the moulded plastic.
Simon
That was the way ours was fitted when we got it. But still the flow was terribly slow, and without the S-bend you have no 'odour lock' from the waste water tank.
The new set up is much, much better. And doesn't cost the world...

Just fitted the new parts to our 2013 Cali.
No modifications required to sink or drawer.
Just shorten the hose.
At the first attempt, I had water leaking from the lower hose connection (the end I had not shortened - just removed & refitted) so chopped a bit more hose off to get some "new" hose to clamp & added more Teflon tape, then it was OK.
The actual sieve & plug seem to be identical, so I didn't really need those, but I did need the longer screw (which I think was in that pack).

Time to drain 1 litre: reduced from 55sec to 8 sec.

Thanks for the heads-up on this very worthwhile modification! :D

Hello,
My Cali is a 2013 (made may 2013).
My hose looks like this. Is this correct or should I bend it in an S-shape?IMG_5815.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hello,
My hose looks like this. Is this correct or should I bend it in an S-shape?View attachment 53760

Looks ok apart from the 90degree bend on the left. I would try to make the flow as smooth as possible. I don't see any need for a "S" bend as the drain/plug fitting has a trap/odour block built in (if its the same as mine).

Looks ok apart from the 90degree bend on the left. I would try to make the flow as smooth as possible. I don't see any need for a "S" bend as the drain/plug fitting has a trap/odour block built in (if its the same as mine).

Im not sure which kind I have. Bew or old(?).
What is the diameter of the white part underneath the sink of the old vs. new, does anyone know?
I will give the hose a slightly smoother bend anyway

Im not sure which kind I have. Bew or old(?).
What is the diameter of the white part underneath the sink of the old vs. new, does anyone know?
I will give the hose a slightly smoother bend anyway

I confirmed that my drain had a trap ....I confirmed that it was there by pouring a bucket full of water down the sink, then when the sink had drained opening the drain. I could see and hear the water in the sink waste gurgling as it was sucked back into the waste tank.

Hello,
My hose looks like this. Is this correct or should I bend it in an S-shape?View attachment 53760

One quick look at this photo leads me to believe that the drain hose should follow the pre-moulded U indentation to make the trap. Am I crazy?

One quick look at this photo leads me to believe that the drain hose should follow the pre-moulded U indentation to make the trap. Am I crazy?
Not crazy at all! But I think they have now incorporated the 'trap' in the sink attachment which negates the need for the bend...

@ArunAlec
"I could see and hear the water in the sink waste gurgling as it was sucked back into the waste tank."

You need a vent stack going up and out the roof... ;)

I thought so too but someone also stated above that vw put it this way with cable-ties.
Not sure what the best way is to be honest.
Just want a good flow without any smell!

I confirmed that my drain had a trap ....I confirmed that it was there by pouring a bucket full of water down the sink, then when the sink had drained opening the drain. I could see and hear the water in the sink waste gurgling as it was sucked back into the waste tank.

I have noticed that there will be s smell from the sink if I forget to put in the plug dom maybe I have the old kind then...
With the plug in there hadnt been any smell what I could sense.

Here are my photos before and after I fitted the newer built-in trap drain and shortened the waste on my 2010 Cali. Now have a fast drain and no smells :) Tissue on pipe was just to check for leaks, all OK.

DSC_0907_1.JPG

DSC_0021_4.JPG

I realise this is an old thread, but looking to do this upgrade to our new-to-us 2006 van. Any suggestions on where to source parts (I'm in West Yorkshire) or is it a dealership job?
Thanks!

I realise this is an old thread, but looking to do this upgrade to our new-to-us 2006 van. Any suggestions on where to source parts (I'm in West Yorkshire) or is it a dealership job?
Thanks!
Dealership, not expensive.

You can order the parts from your dealer. Part numbers are higher up in the thread.

Just a note on this and realise it’s an old thread (still) but I did this mod, bought the parts and fitted, but had only limited success with it.

My before photo is identical to @KGCali ’s but my after photo (having just messed about with the flexi pipe) now looks like this:

8253FC82-9A69-4AA9-8D3C-CA8F7533FA23.jpeg…and it works a treat, but no need to cut down the flexi pipe - just cable tie into the right position . The trick seems to be having a constant downward slope, so that it does not trap air (as the upgraded siphon/plug hole will apparently do this anyway).

As an aside, someone mentioned elsewhere, you should also leave the plug in when not in use otherwise you get the whiff from the tank infiltrating the van once it evaporates or sloshes out of the siphon while driving, which had also been bugging me.

I have trouble with ours, as what looks like the up dated version, but takes an age to go down if any, we do not pit anything down the sink but waste water any ideas. We are away at the moment so will have to take it to pieces when we get back, i know its nothing we have put down, perhaps previous owner, i have even left the drain open for the whole of the 3 days we have been away , any help would be most great full

Our 2015 Cali started to drain terribly. We have the updated gadget as was originally fitted.

Tried chemicals, disconnecting pipes shoving wires and bottle brushes etc down the pipes. All seemed clean.
Then I went under the car and found that the pipe exiting the vehicle was clogged up with mud and grass. This is after 6 years of ownership. So a quick clean and flush out and everything is going down the plughole again quickly.

Hi why would this make the sink go down slow or not at all into the on board storage tank ????

Hi why would this make the sink go down slow or not at all into the on board storage tank ????
I am assuming it was creating some sort of air lock or vacuum. All I can say is once I cleared the mud and grass all was back to normal and the other half says its working perfectly.

I am now happy as the other half blamed me for not parking the van level or in the right direction.

I have trouble with ours, as what looks like the up dated version, but takes an age to go down if any, we do not pit anything down the sink but waste water any ideas. We are away at the moment so will have to take it to pieces when we get back, i know its nothing we have put down, perhaps previous owner, i have even left the drain open for the whole of the 3 days we have been away , any help would be most great full
If you definitely have to updated sink drain you could remove the flexible pipe and clean it then shorten it as in my photos ...
Post in thread 'New (fast!) drain for kitchen sink: awesome!' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-fast-drain-for-kitchen-sink-awesome.6175/post-392646

I am assuming it was creating some sort of air lock or vacuum. All I can say is once I cleared the mud and grass all was back to normal and the other half says its working perfectly.

I am now happy as the other half blamed me for not parking the van level or in the right direction.
The Waste Water tank has 2 outlets.
One at the bottom of the tank controlled by the lever in lower L kitchen cupboard that allows the tank to empty into the drain pipe.
The second outlet is from the top of the tank directly to the drain pipe, downstream of the lever valve in the cupboard. This outlet acts as an air vent for the tank and an automatic overflow if the tank gets filled so the sink will always empty.
However, if the drain pipe is blocked the sink can no longer empty quickly, no air vent, and once the tank is full the sink will no longer empty.

A few VWCC members have cleared the waste drain pipe by putting a hose up from under the van and then drain and repeat until draining correctly.

so am I correct in saying, If i leave the drain tap for the tank open all the time, thinking when i drain the sink it will just flow directly into and out of the tank, but if the outlet is blocked the sink will not drain ? So if i close the drain tap the sink waist will fill up the tank with flow, and when i empty the tank when full , i open the tap and it should empty all be it slow or not at all ??

Back