Ready mix screen wash

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My one year old T6 had its second screen wash reservoir refill in 42,000 Km today. The first refill was part of a service, so this was the first time I had refilled it myself.

The warning light came on, and as I was driving on salty slushy Bulgarian roads I wanted to be sure I wouldn't run out. I pulled into the first service station for a bottle of ready mix. The trouble was I did not know the size of the reservoir or the refill required when the warning light comes on. The forecourt was well stocked with 10L, 5L, 3L, 2L, 1.5L and 1L bottles of both concentrated and ready mix rated to -60 and -20 degrees.

I wanted -20 ready mix, but what size? I referred to the manual. It wasn't any help. Its four pages on the windscreen washer, 110-113, gives all sorts of facts, but nothing indicating either the capacity of the reservoir or the refill required when the low warning indicator comes on.

So I gambled, and bought a 3L container - 9.50 Lev (about £4.25). It fitted perfectly. As the final drop splashed in the reservoir was filled.

I've now written "3 Litre refill" into my manual on Page 113, so that the manual now contains at least one bit of useful information. I urge other T6 users to make a similar note.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

My one year old T6 had its second screen wash reservoir refill in 42,000 Km today. The first refill was part of a service, so this was the first time I had refilled it myself.

Wow - I must be OCD on how often I used my screen wash

This made me smile. I’m very impressed that you have only filled up with screenwash once in 42k km. however it ties in with my experiences about driving on European roads v uk in winter.

One UK gets ripped off for standard screen wash working to -5c - finding -20 to -30 stuff rare in service stations etc. -5c stuff is absolutely useless unless you live in town.
Two - in Europe they rarely use salt as we do, they invest in winter tyres instead as a rule and it makes driving on winter roads so much cleaner without the salt spray requiring constant cleaning. Usually only salt in extreme circumstances, not as a rule in case the temp get near 4c. I go through screenwash by the bucket in the UK winter, not when in EU.

Just another example of The UK thinking we’re superior but actually just miles behind our European counterparts! Make Winter or all season tyres mandatory in the UK for winter!! Rant over.

Tend to top up weekly when doing my vehicle walk around checks.

A 5L container fills my reservoir when the warning light comes on. I don't need to write that in my handbook. The last three months weather has ensured it's committed to memory from repetition :shocked

Wow - I must be OCD on how often I used my screen wash
We were in Northern Europe in the summer and Southern Europe in the winter. I think there have only been four periods when we have driven in temperatures below 5 degrees.
1. Crossing the Pyrenees
2. Southern Rhone valley
3. Mountains outside Florence
4. Bulgaria

Of those places, only Bulgaria appears to use salt.

By my estimation, we have used 9 litres of screen wash in 42,000 Km: about 4650 Km per litre (about 13,000 mpg).

The warning light came on, and as I was driving on salty slushy Bulgarian roads I wanted to be sure I wouldn't run out. I pulled into the first service station for a bottle of ready mix. The trouble was I did not know the size of the reservoir or the refill required when the warning light comes on. The forecourt was well stocked with 10L, 5L, 3L, 2L, 1.5L and 1L bottles of both concentrated and ready mix rated to -60 and -20 degrees.

I wanted -20 ready mix, but what size? I referred to the manual. It wasn't any help. Its four pages on the windscreen washer, 110-113, gives all sorts of facts, but nothing indicating either the capacity of the reservoir or the refill required when the low warning indicator comes on.

So I gambled, and bought a 3L container - 9.50 Lev (about £4.25). It fitted perfectly. As the final drop splashed in the reservoir was filled.

I've now written "3 Litre refill" into my manual on Page 113, so that the manual now contains at least one bit of useful information. I urge other T6 users to make a similar note.

Tom, great bit of info. Thanks.
Do you have headlight washer system on your Beach? I only ask because the washer bottle is a different size if you have (5-6 litre) compared to without (4-5 litre). I'm guessing top up levels might be different? This might explain also why your fillup is with the very extended km's.
Also did you see this article about BMW Warranty issue? http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/160678/non-bmw-screenwash-hits-owners-warranty
I wonder if potentially it could be the same with VW?

Tom, great bit of info. Thanks.
Do you have headlight washer system on your Beach? I only ask because the washer bottle is a different size if you have (5-6 litre) compared to without (4-5 litre). I'm guessing top up levels might be different? This might explain also why your fillup is with the very extended km's.
Also did you see this article about BMW Warranty issue? http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/160678/non-bmw-screenwash-hits-owners-warranty
I wonder if potentially it could be the same with VW?

i doubt it!

i doubt it!
All I was trying to do is inform. P.S. Take a look at top right of page 113 of the manual about refilling your washer bottle.

Last edited:
In the Army in Germany in the 1980s we found that tax-free Naafi vodka was cheaper than petrol station screenwash, so we used that instead.
Ditto in the RAF in early 1970's. Plus duty free petrol for about 15p a gallon.

Define "ruin"
The problem about washing up liquid is that different brands have different chemicals in them and there are different grades of rubber used for differing applications on cars/vans/trucks etc. and this issue is of long term compatibility. Many of the chemicals in washing up liquid, when diluted, as is normal when washing a car, will not cause a short term problem but there are two specific times when that short term non issue becomes a medium to long term issue.
What about the concentration of chemicals through evaporation? When you wash a car normally you rinse off all the suds/bubbles - fine. But what about the areas you can't see? What about washing a car in the sunshine or hot climate and all your suds dry before you have time to rinse? Those chemicals will all concentrate in just those areas and you can't see and in that form can damage manufacturer applied waxes and oils etc. (just the things washing up liquids are designed to remove). I've seen badly damaged "perished" window seals even on garaged cars (you can blame UV light if kept outside but not in these cases). A rather nasty chemical found in washing up liquids is Sulfamic Acid - this if often used as a Hydrochloric Acid substitute.
Anyway, it's a risk that I and many others do not take. Each to their own......

In the Army in Germany in the 1980s we found that tax-free Naafi vodka was cheaper than petrol station screenwash, so we used that instead.

Did you find your hangovers improved when switching from screenwash?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you find your hangovers improved when switching from screenwash?

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

There are two kinds of hangover. The first kind is the one where you think you're going to die. The second kind is when you're afraid you might not.

(My first hangover in Germany was deffo a cat 2 - my lads persuaded their innocent young second lieutenant that Jagermeister beer chasers were fine because Jagermeister was non-alcoholic).

There are two kinds of hangover. The first kind is the one where you think you're going to die. The second kind is when you're afraid you might not.

(My first hangover in Germany was deffo a cat 2 - my lads persuaded their innocent young second lieutenant that Jagermeister beer chasers were fine because Jagermeister was non-alcoholic).

Got a headache even thinking about Jaegermeister now- I’m just trying to poke out my mind’s eye! (Although if you’ve never seen one - a well executed JaegerTrain is something to behold - YouTube)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My worst one was after drinking many " Red Witch " , which was a pint of cider with a double Pernod & Black chucked in it, on the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland. then continuing on the train back to Minden, Germany. Next morning,1st day back off leave our Platoon Sergeant, who was training for SAS selection & passed, ( and has wrote many best sellers since ), decided that an 8 mile run with full kit and weapons was the best thing for us unfit , back from leave, Riflemen. My denims (as well as quite a few of the rest of the platoon's ) were a very interesting colour at the end of the run.

Unlike the sun and wind? I'd love to see the statistics that prove you right.
My late step father-in-law owned a rubber factoring business and worked in the industry for 45 years and he said the detergent disolved the natural lubricant in the material.

But hey, its your car your choice..

Last edited:
I have used the VW screen wash in my wife's Beetle from new. The car is 14 years old and I have never had a problem with the washer jets. The salesman told me when we picked the car up that we should always use the VW screen wash as non VW screen wash can block fan jets.

Back