Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Screenwash level indication

J

Jonlethbridge

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have a 69 plate 4 motion ocean. With the bad weather I am aware that I am using the screen wash more than previously. In January I am setting off from the south coast to go to glencoe in Scotland and thought I would make sure the screenwash was full. My question is how to do this?
The manual says: the windscreen washer fluid level should be checked regularly. It says open the bonnet and check whether there is enough windscreen washer fluid in the reservoir. But with the bonnet open all I can see is a long narrow reservoir ? leading to the main reservoir . My van does not have head light washers. There is no obvious indicator on the dashboard screen . So as far as I can see there is no way to monitor the level. My question is: is there any warning light that will appear on the dash before it runs completely dry??. I would be very glad to hear what the situation is from anyone who has had a california long enough to know what happens when the washer fluid is used up? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks. I think I read that reservoir holds 5 litres or 6 litres in vans with headlight wash. Do you know how much is left when the warning comes on. To be of any use it needs to give a warning with a half litre or so left so that there is time to refill ?

Thanks. I think I read that reservoir holds 5 litres or 6 litres in vans with headlight wash. Do you know how much is left when the warning comes on. To be of any use it needs to give a warning with a half litre or so left so that there is time to refill ?
I don’t know how much there is left when the light comes on but it was enough for a couple of hours of motorway driving on wet and salty roads the other day for me.

Ok thank you. So it sounds like the warning indicator gives you enough time to get to a garage and buy some more screenwash. Can you remember how many litres you put in to fill up- or perhaps you just put in a couple of litres to keep you going!
Not essential info but just interesting to know !

Page 376 of the multivan manual gives 4.0-5.0 litres as the screen wash capacity of vans without headlamp washers and 5.0-6.0 litres for those with headlamp washers.

Or you could check it along with or bodily fluids the van needs on a regular basis, or is that too difficult?

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Fill it to the brim before you set off, buy a small bottle of screen wash concentrate and you can always top it up using water from the on-board sink and a kettle.
Thanks. That is what I will do.

Or you could check it along with or bodily fluids the van needs on a regular basis, or is that too difficult?
Well I am not sure it is possible to check the level visually as far as I know. Taking off the reservoir cap all I have is a long tubular reservoir neck that extends down to the bottom of the engine, where the 5 litre reservoir itself it is out of sight.
Is that not correct?
Thanks.

My wash fluid light came on just after I left home the other day, similar to above comment, I drove a couple of hours (over 90 miles) on dual carriage way in wintry conditions (lots of salt spray) so was cleaning the screen quite frequently. Although was just doing short squirts due to the warning light.
Only managed to get about 9l of a 10l top up container into the fluid wash tank when I got home - so there must be quite a bit left when warning light comes on.

Hi I’m not clear how much you got in. Was that 9 litres - but screebwash tank only takes 5-6 litres- so perhaps that was 9/10 of a top up container. Then how big volume was the top up container ? Sorry if I am being a bit slow !

As you say it is full when the neck is full. Was just making the point that when you look at the neck you can’t tell if the tank is nearly empty or half full because you can’t actually see the tank.

Hi I’m not clear how much you got in. Was that 9 litres - but screebwash tank only takes 5-6 litres- so perhaps that was 9/10 of a top up container. Then how big volume was the top up container ? Sorry if I am being a bit slow !
Sorry, yes around 9/10 of the container.

just done mine, have always checked and topped up before a long journey same for anything under the bonnet and tyre checks and clean glass area's, headlights rear lights.

As you say it is full when the neck is full. Was just making the point that when you look at the neck you can’t tell if the tank is nearly empty or half full because you can’t actually see the tank.
Top it up once a week or before a long trip. Works for me. Never run out yet.:thumb

Back