Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ready mix screen wash

The salesman told me when we picked the car up that we should always use the VW screen wash as non VW screen wash can block fan jets.

I have owned a Cali since 2012 as a daily drive and never put VW screen wash in it. Never had a jet issue.

Where is the screen wash reservoir? :confused:

;)

Ive never ever with any car used the manufacturers screen wash and never ever had an issue.

I would never ever use washing up liquid as a screen was though or defo not to wash the car/cali with it.. It removes waxes from the bodywork... I like mine very much waxed up.... I think the BMW garage just took the P***. I dare bet it was just some muck in there or something packed up due to a manufacturing defect and the owner foolishly mentioned the Morrisons product which they then saw pound signs afterwards... It also made it easier for the garage just to change stuff and charge the owner....

I have owned a Cali since 2012 as a daily drive and never put VW screen wash in it. Never had a jet issue.

Same here.
Although I’ve noticed UK screenwash is rubbish compared to what I picked up one year at an Austrian service station.
The Austrian stuff helped remove bugs etc, where as the UK stuff tends just to make the screen wet...

Same here.
Although I’ve noticed UK screenwash is rubbish compared to what I picked up one year at an Austrian service station.
The Austrian stuff helped remove bugs etc, where as the UK stuff tends just to make the screen wet...
I bought some ready mixed screen wash from B&Q during the cold spell, when I got home found out it was rated at -1, so just really expensive coloured water.

I'm not sure how fast the 6 jets on the windscreen use up the container of washer fluid or how often the headlamp washers operate, but like @WelshGas I top up the reservoir whenever I do my check of oil, tyres, water etc. I clean the screen before I leave on a trip with a bucket of water as I think you are optimistic if you think the wipers will remove old squashed insects and guano. It damages the wiper blades and often smears. The seagulls in Bristol seems to exist on a diet of Pizza & Burgers which needs a lot of water to soften before you can remove it. The frequency of using the windscreen washers for me is dependant on whether you are driving into the sun or not. I like a clean windscreen you can see through.
I always dilute the screen wash from a container of concentrate and use an old bottle to store the mixed at the appropriate dilution. -10C in the winter for example.
Halfords, for example charge £5 for 5L of concentrate and £4.50 for 5L of ready mixed. That's quite a lot to pay for diluting it.

The salesman told me when we picked the car up that we should always use the VW screen wash as non VW screen wash can block fan jets.

Is that the same VW salesman that told you your car met all the emissions standards?

(Just pulling your leg ;) )

In 2004 I don't think there were emissions. In fact diesel was the wonder fuel and we were encouraged to buy diesel cars.

I used the rainex stuff nowadays for our cars. Gets rid of the bugs easily and helps when it rains.
You can buy the undiluted stuff from reputable car shops and it goes a long way.

I used the rainex stuff nowadays for our cars. Gets rid of the bugs easily and helps when it rains.
You can buy the undiluted stuff from reputable car shops and it goes a long way.
What Screen Wash do you use in Winter? As it would appear the Rain X additive is to aid cleaning rather than prevent freezing and ice formation in the Windscreen washer system.

What Screen Wash do you use in Winter? As it would appear the Rain X additive is to aid cleaning rather than prevent freezing and ice formation in the Windscreen washer system.
Halfords berry flavour -20

Halfords berry flavour -20

I think it smells a bit like a chemical Ribena when you use it though and always raises questions from passengers as to why it smells like that.

I think it smells a bit like a chemical Ribena when you use it though and always raises questions from passengers as to why it smells like that.
Agreed! Back in the day I used to put my lynx Africa shower gel in my Mk2 washer bottles! Smelt fantastic and cleared the flies no problem ha ha

Back