Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Really bad fridge. Leaking gas?

K

keacal2705

Hi all,

My fridge reeks of something. It was like that when I bought it and it is so bad that if I chill a bottle of beer, the smell is all over the beer bottle.

I spoke with Martin that said bicarbonate of soda but they didn't work. My neighbour said vinegar and now I have a stinky rotten vinegar fridge.

She spoke to some friends that said maybe it is leaking gas. Do these have gas in them?

Any other ideas of what I can do?

Does the fridge chill as it should? If it does I would say that's its probably not a gas leak as all of the gas would have escaped by now - sorry I can't be of anymore help than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, works a treat. I have an older style Cali and I read before that they can be set colder than new ones. I had it set low the other day and my beer started to go icy.

A relief if not a gas problem.

No idea what has caused the smell but very unpleasant. I have been driving around with baking powder open inside but still rotten.

I sounds as though it may be in the plastic. Have you tried leaving it full of water with a mild detergent or Bi-Carb?

Did you use White or Malt Vinegar??

I rubbed bi carb round the fridge and left it paste like for a couple of days. That didnt work. My neighbour told me to use malt vinegar but I only had white and it smells the same :p

I left quite a bit swilling around for a few days.

Happy to fill fridge and pour bi carb in. To be honest I haven't been sure what/how I should do things but that is probably obvious from what I have done so far :rofl

The fridge has some yellow stains in places so bought some cif tonight to try. I had tried some water with bleach but was nervous to leave it to long so cleared water out after a couple of hours. Some of the stains are from the struts being tad rusty and reacting to vinegar so the rust streaked down fridge.

Not describing a nice fridge am I :shocked

Happy to try any suggestions.

I remember that smell when I viewed the van for you Lee, when I opened the fridge and it had not been opened for about eight months and that smell nearly knocked me out. I still have the taste in the back of my throat.

As for vinegar, white vinegar is really good, we buy loads of it in France as its normally about 20 cents for a litre, we use it for all different things including running it though the dishwasher once per week ... amazing stuff

White vinegar is preferable to malt so it appears by default you got that right :rofl

It's probably got the smell into the plastic so I guess you need to get something nicer smelling or neutral into the plastic instead.

I have seen somewhere a fridge cleaner and deodoriser .. I was going to get some for my smelly fridge in my old T25 that I had ,but got a new camper instead

My mum said cut a load of lemons in half and chuck them in.
Maybe I should fill it half with water and pour bottle of white vinegar inand let that swill around?
Sorry about your throat Martin but good excuse to drink beer to get rid of it. :barmy

Maybe I should just o what choplee did and buy a newer camper :rofl

"Simple Green" is what I use for cleaning and degreasing everything from scuba components (o2 cleaning) through to car parts.

In itself it has no smell, but tends to remove pretty much anything.

Drop me a note if you can't get hold of any and I'll see if I can get some concentrate to you.

Got to be worth a try

There's a couple of places where things can collect in the fridge, including the temp sensor and the seal... worth checking. (But guess you already have)

Rgds

Mark

Temp sensor and seal. I have no idea where th sensor is and assume the seals are at the top of fridge :oops:

I cut a load of lemons up and poured lemon juice concentrate from a bottle in and that has gone some way to making it a lemony stink :laugh2

Will look up the stuff you said.

Thanks for post.