Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Air Con has a mind of its own

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone else experienced this. I have a 2016 MY Ocean with climatic Air Con. The rear air-con seems to have a mind of it's own. It is turned off in the rear with the vents closed. The 'rear' button is off on the dashboard control. Every now and again the rear AC fan starts blowing at full pelt. It cannot be turned off in the back or by using the 'rear' button on the dashboard.

I have found that playing around with the controls does eventually turn it off. I think the sequence that works is as follows. Turn on 'rear's the dash. turn auto off by manually rotating the fan speed knob. Turn the fan right down. Turn 'rear' off on the dash. Re-enable auto.

Is this a fault or a bug? Should I ask it to be investigated? - it is not easy to re-produce at will. It happened about 5 times over a two week period using the cali every day. I'm a bit cautious about reporting it as I currently have a 50/50 record of the dealer making things worse when trying to fix things!

Sure you have tried this too but make sure the SYNC button isn’t on? I believe that syncs the ac temp to the same on driver / passenger / rear

If you have the sync on it will be replicating the rear to the front. If it’s on auto it will instantly want to match the temperature you have set it too, hence the fast speed in the rear. As soon as you press auto again it will match all zones to the setting you have it to. (‘Low’ instigates high speed fans unless you disable auto by pressing the button.)
If you are like me, not a fan of auto, the I carry out the following;
Set right disk to low on sync. (All zones set to as cool as possible, or whatever temp you want it at)
Press rear, (sync light will go off) turn fan speed to desired speed,
Enjoy
As soon as you press the auto it will try and rapidly cool the van quickly by turning fans to max. If the temp is turned up 1oc then it calms it right down.
It’s a silly system but does work well. For instant cool press AC MAX and adjust the vents to suit.

I often have sync on but rear off. Surely if rear is off then it should be off! Or does rear mean manual control is possible from the rear controls?

Mrs DM and I both tried to make sense of the manual - we had a 14 hour drive work it out but still failed :(

The "rear" button allows you to adjust the rear controls from the front. When you press the "rear" button the driver's controls adjust the settings in the passenger compartment. The "rear" light should go out after 10 seconds of no adjustment.

The "rear" light on or off does not indicate the rear air con is on or off.

The rear light being on purely indicates that adjusting the driver's controls adjusts the settings in the rear.