Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bed height adjustment

Mowbotman

Mowbotman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
May be a stupid question, but why is there two height holes in the boot floor, bed base ? I can understand to get a bit higher boot space , but surely then your base mattress has a hump and is un comfortable for sleeping

If you have the comfort mattress, it is made in 3 hinged sections. The section that goes at the very rear (on the rack) is extra thick. And requires that the rack be on the lower setting in order to give a consistent thickness with the sections covering the rear bench.

The higher setting gives you extra storage space. It could not go any higher because the rack would then hit the rear tailgate when closed.

We always drive around with the higher setting, with more storage capacity. And only drop the rack if on the very rare occasion that we need to sleep downstairs.

Hope this helps.

May be a stupid question, but why is there two height holes in the boot floor, bed base ? I can understand to get a bit higher boot space , but surely then your base mattress has a hump and is un comfortable for sleeping
As has been explained above. If you don't spec the Comfort mattress at purchase then you get a thin foam pad to fit the rear shelf, which if set on the higher level provides a flat surface when the bench seat is in bed position.

Ours is a single mattress and the rear is set on lowest position and there is no step ( i think ?? )

Ours is a single mattress and the rear is set on lowest position and there is no step ( i think ?? )
If it's the VW Comfort Mattress it will be in 3 sections and the rearmost section, with a corner cutout, is twice the thickness of the other two sections.

We have a T6 Ocean and often sleep "downstairs". We leave the rear shelf cushion at home and set the shelf on the highest level. In place of the rear shelf cushion we have a thin sheet of plywood (cut to shape painted to look nice). This ply sheet brings the shelf to to the same level as rear seat when folded down. With a zone sleep in place we do not miss the rear shelf cushion as the zone sleep and pillows is adequate for head and shoulder support. Suggest would also be adequate for our lower legs if we slept the other way round. Doing this we get extra room to store items under the shelf.

Back