Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporting 2 pesky dogs!

S

Small1973

Hi, Quick question if I may, and sorry if this has been asked countless times before, I have tried to check, but I.T isn't one of my strong points.

Anyway, we are seriously considering buying a Cali and would like to ask what would be the best way to transport 2 x medium sized dogs? Whilst they both travel okay in an estate boot behind a dog guard (apart from the occasional spat if one bumps into the other a few times), they haven't travelled in 'soft cages' before, or by using seat harnesses. The sales chap has advised that as they travel better together in a boot, to remove the wire base of the bed in the bottom and for them to travel behind the bench seat?

The majority of the time, there will just be 2 x adults and the 2 x dogs in the Cali. So we wouldn't be needing the lower bed a great deal.

Just wondered if anyone has had experience of this? And whether the sales chap is a bit over keen to make the sale by saying that removing the bed frame is easier than what it really is?

Ta all,

Sarah

We travel with or Vizsla on the rear seat in a harnas pluged in the seatbelt...
There is a possibility with an adaptor to secure something on to the rails on the floor so your dog stays on the floor ( link somewhere on the forum...)

Personaly i don't leave for a trip without the wire base of the bottom bed , you never know if you have to sleep downstairs , or in bad.weatherconditions,....
I had to sleep once at the parkinglot of the Grenoble hospital in France afther the missus was transported there by helicopter from Alpez- duez with 4 fractures in the leg
Could not see myself standing there with the roof open.... :doh

Also like to have eye-contact with my puppy ... :smile nearly getting 8 years ... on longer rides.

We do the same as Hotelcalifornia, we slide the bench seat as full forward as we can and both sit on the rear bench with their harness on. No problems

Same as other two on rear seat with harness our dog travels better in Cali than she does in our car.

two big daft labs, we slide the seat forward so there is a gap to get onto the parcel shelf then slide the seat right back so they are secure in that area of the bus. when we stop which is every two or three hours we just slide the seat forward and they just hop down from the back. it works well for us, we tried a few different methods but we found this way best.

when at the site we sleep upstairs with the dogs on the bed downstairs

image.jpg

Thanks for your advice everyone. And what a brilliant pic, Igmac!

Sarah x