Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bench

S

Staff 2

First posted by Wynn

Hi
I am just experimenting with the positioning of the fifth seat in our new cali. I realise that it will have to be removed to make up the lower bed but am trying to maximise leg room for five passengers when we are not camping. How far back is it possible to move the rear bench into the luggage area? Will it go back as far as the rear bench in a Caravelle?

First posted by Martin

Hi Wyn

As far as I know there are some bolts/stoppers in the rails which can be removed, this will allow the bench seat to go all the way back to the end of the rail.

Possibly someone else on here will have a better knowledge of how to do this.

First posted by John

We have taken out the bolts in the rails (they simply unscrew) and the rear bench can slide back until the headrests touch the roof locker. The best place we have found for the fifth seat is up against the cupboards - that allows the person occupying the chair to use the space between the driver and passenger seats for extra legroom.

First posted by martin

If you pull up the rubber strips on the rail roughly in-line with the wardrobe you will see the bolts in both rails. I think they are just there to stop you pushing the bench too far back and damaging the overheard locker.

Hi our dog is a Rottweiler, Zeus is his name, this may be relevant to those who like us sleep up in the loft, leaving the living area at night to Zeus, he weighs 45 kilograms so takes up a bit of room, we decided to give him more room by removing the rear bench stops / bed brackets, you will have to drill out the rivets on the off side, best to set your vacuum cleaner up ( hose attachment ) so you catch all swarf / metal waste from drilling out the rivets you don't want this entering the cavity between body and internal finishing panel , using an allen key to remove the near side stops / bed brackets, ( Note once these have been removed you will not be able to use the bench seat as a bed until you refit them so keep them safe ) you will have to loosen the stop in the floor, near side, and move it as far back as you wish your seat to sit, then tighten again, this also allows you to gain access to the cup/drinks holder and 12volt socket. Be aware your head restraints will have to be stowed in the down position with the seat as far back as it will go as they come into contact with the overhead storage drawer, although if you tilt the bench seat slightly you can leave them in the up position.